Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 09:31 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,684,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
Gotta agree with everyone. More snakes elsewhere than here. That said I've seen seen 1 snake in my backyard and 2 in my house in the last 10 years. None poisonous.

The only reason the 2 were in my house is 'cause my cat brought them in to show them off. Dropped 1 right on my bare feet! Better than some of his other gifts though.

When I lived in Florida, I found my 3 cats circling something in the middle of the living room. It was a baby snake that had found its way in via under the backporch through a crack/crevice. They must have killed it because it wasn't moving when I found it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 10:58 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,632,525 times
I moved here from Pa. There were a lot more snakes in my life when I lived there. I haven't seen one in my 6 years here, including when I lived on the edge of Maricopa or out in the desert with my jeep.

That doesn't mean they aren't here, I have a friend with a pool, she gets all sorts of critters visiting to take a drink. Friends have photos of snakes from their excursions into the desert, but it's not common in residential areas. Quite frankly I have no idea why so many believe there are many snakes here.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:04 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,632,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briggsbee16 View Post
OK. That makes me feel better. Thanks to all. The scorpion thing, though. That could be scary.
they aren't pleasant, but they aren't much to be worried about either. I've seen maybe 4 of them. They are slow, near blind and very easy to collect or kill. The bad part is that they blend in with the light tan flooring everyone uses here, and they can fit in the smallest spaces.

A close friend just moved into a house downtown that is infested. His 2 year old son got stung 5 times, within 10 minutes he was back to happily playing. They are currently working with pest control and combing the house with UV lights. Scorpions glow under a black light.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:11 AM

50,479 posts, read 47,238,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briggsbee16 View Post
OK. That makes me feel better. Thanks to all. The scorpion thing, though. That could be scary.
I've seen more scorpions in CO than I have in the desert areas. Just like snakes if you don't mess with them they won't mess with you.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:49 AM

1,553 posts, read 3,653,034 times
I've been here since last June. East Mesa. I haven't seen a snake, scorpion or anything else in or on the house. I've even taken a black light and went scorpion searching in my backyard at night. Nada. Nothing.
If there are scorpions here, I haven't been able to find them yet.
I have seen a few gecko's and lizards around the house. Those are cool critters.
Other than that, I haven't seen a thing at my house or in the desert so far.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:08 PM

2 posts, read 1,981 times
I've lived here since 1979 and haven't seen a snake ever. I have, however, seen scorpions. The last house I owned was infested with them when we moved in. Diligent pest control over the course of a year pretty much eliminated them.

If you're considering a home here, come with a black light in the evening during the warmer months. They come out at night and are most often seen on the exterior walls of the home or on block fences. They are easy to spot with a black light.

I'd never buy a home here again without first looking with a black light and talking to neighbors.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:19 PM

203 posts, read 492,011 times
You will most likely get bitten by a rattlesnake..no doubt if the coyotes don't get you first.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:15 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,755,371 times
Since 1979. No snakes. 1 scorpion. Several black widows. 1 coyote.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:18 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,215,738 times
Arizona has about 6.5 million people and a couple hundred rattlesnake bites annually but most of those are in or the edge of the desert and very few result in fatalities. If I'm not mistaken the last fatal snakebite was that poor woman up in Chino Valley a few years back, mojave rattlesnake got her on the foot and by the time they got her airlifted to Flagstaff she was in bad shape.

Despite a lot of hiking and camping I've seen exactly two in Arizona since 1996, I saw way more in the woods when I lived on the East Coast. Heck when I was a kid you probably could have handed me a $5 bill to go fetch a garter snake and I'd earn that money same day.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:09 PM

1,087 posts, read 3,523,961 times
I haven't been too concerned about snakes in AZ before, but for 2 days in a row I've been warned about them. Yesterday my vet said that one of the vets in her practice moved to AZ recently and called her and said she couldn't believe the number of dogs she's been treating for rattler bites every day.

Then today, when I told my pharmacist I was moving to AZ, she shuddered and said she lived in Maricopa last year in a subdivision, not in an open area, and she had rattlers in her driveway and next to her foundation a lot. She also said she had a problem with gila monsters. She said nearly everyone in Arizona carries a gun to protect them from snakes. I know some people probably carry guns when they go hiking, but I kind of think she's exaggerating a bit when she says nearly everyone carries a gun everywhere they go because of the snakes. I guess I'll find out when I get there in 4 weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area