Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 12:17 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,626,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnp View Post
I haven't been too concerned about snakes in AZ before, but for 2 days in a row I've been warned about them. Yesterday my vet said that one of the vets in her practice moved to AZ recently and called her and said she couldn't believe the number of dogs she's been treating for rattler bites every day.

Then today, when I told my pharmacist I was moving to AZ, she shuddered and said she lived in Maricopa last year in a subdivision, not in an open area, and she had rattlers in her driveway and next to her foundation a lot. She also said she had a problem with gila monsters. She said nearly everyone in Arizona carries a gun to protect them from snakes. I know some people probably carry guns when they go hiking, but I kind of think she's exaggerating a bit when she says nearly everyone carries a gun everywhere they go because of the snakes. I guess I'll find out when I get there in 4 weeks.
LOL, that had to make me laugh but seriously it depends upon where you live. Some areas have it all, some don't have anything listed.
Snakes, usually out in the desert towns, Maricopa(certain areas), Ahwatukee by the mountain base, West Phoenix, North Phoenix, far out lying areas. Scottsdale by the mountains, Apache Junction. Those areas are more likely to have a snake.
Scorpions are in certain areas, depends, ask and use a black light as suggested. I've seen none out in a desert home and tons within the city. It just depends. There are hot spot maps but you really need to ask neighbors and use a black light. Call an exterminator in the area, they will know as well.
Roof Rats, usually Scottsdale and around that area.
Gila Monsters. You can tell by my name I'm familiar with your fear. But I've come to terms and now I'm fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 05:40 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,173,276 times
Quote:
I haven't been too concerned about snakes in AZ before, but for 2 days in a row I've been warned about them. Yesterday my vet said that one of the vets in her practice moved to AZ recently and called her and said she couldn't believe the number of dogs she's been treating for rattler bites every day.

Then today, when I told my pharmacist I was moving to AZ, she shuddered and said she lived in Maricopa last year in a subdivision, not in an open area, and she had rattlers in her driveway and next to her foundation a lot. She also said she had a problem with gila monsters. She said nearly everyone in Arizona carries a gun to protect them from snakes. I know some people probably carry guns when they go hiking, but I kind of think she's exaggerating a bit when she says nearly everyone carries a gun everywhere they go because of the snakes. I guess I'll find out when I get there in 4 weeks.
I have one dog who loves poking her nose into everything. If I walked her in undeveloped areas, she'd definitely be a snake bite victim. However, they're just city dogs, so no snakes or gila monsters for them. And no cholla or other cactus spines in their muzzles from exuberant exploration.

Speaking of gila monsters, I think PoppySead even started a gila monster sanctuary in her home after she got over her fears. Shhh, I don't think she has the proper licensing for it...

Old 05-04-2012, 07:55 AM

1,087 posts, read 3,524,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post

Speaking of gila monsters, I think PoppySead even started a gila monster sanctuary in her home after she got over her fears. Shhh, I don't think she has the proper licensing for it...

LOL! I'm kinda looking forward to seeing my first gila monster. I'm not too worried about those. I almost laughed when the pharmacist told me how bad they are there, because I've been on these forums a long time and haven't seen complaints about gila monster infestations yet.

My dog sticks his nose in everything, but when he spotted a shedded snake skin in our yard, he stopped in his tracks and wouldn't get anywhere near it, so I think he probably has at least a little snake sense. I plan on taking him to snake avoidance training.

What's funny is that for the past few years I've been talking about moving to Arizona, and everyone I came in contact with that had lived there said I would love it, and now here I am finally able to make the move, and suddenly people are trying to convince me the place is overrun by snakes and that everyone is running around with guns shooting snakes every day. LOL!

Old 05-04-2012, 08:33 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,217,357 times
Quote:
but I kind of think she's exaggerating a bit
If someone mentions "problems with gila monsters" with a straight face, then yeah it is a safe bet they are prone to exaggeration.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:43 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,626,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
If someone mentions "problems with gila monsters" with a straight face, then yeah it is a safe bet they are prone to exaggeration.
Yes, I was joking. As kimballette mentioned most on here know me from my irrational fear of the Gila Monster. I've never actually seen one, except in a zoo. No worries. That is when I became the "Gila Monster Whisper" a name I earned on hear after my lengthy thread on the subject.
Honestly, I never seen any of the pest you've mentioned. Heard about them, but not seen them. OP>you have nothing to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area