Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 10:27 AM

710 posts, read 3,390,954 times

Advertisements

I spread 5 ton by myself with a shovel and wheelbarrow. With a few beer breaks, it took the better part of a day. 5 ton is about what shows up in a standard dump truck from one of the rock yards.

You're asking if 4 guys and a wheelbarrow can spread 20 dump trucks worth of gravel in a day??

I think it would mostly depend on how big your wheelbarrow is.

A better question would be, "once my 3 friends see the size of that huge rock pile, how long will it take me to spread 100 tons by myself?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 10:40 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmmac View Post
If the dump truck has access to the majority of the lot, a good driver can dump and spread it pretty well just with the truck. It's all about the access and the skill of the driver.
You're right, most dump trucks have a spreader gate, that's what those chains you see hanging from the bottom of the tailgate are for.
You could have them do their best spreading it then take a bobcat and back scrape it to level it out.
The only hand work would be operating the controls.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:09 AM

24,279 posts, read 13,132,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
I spread about 7 tons over my yard ...... mainly front & side of the house with a little in the back ..... with 2 wheelbarows, shovels and 3 helpers it took us a solid morning
In 1990 my wife and I spread 9 tons of 3/8" coral gravel in Tucson, one wheelbarrow, one lawn rake, one leaf rake, two shovels. Two days in June. Had a pool so staying cool was easy. She liked the way it buffed her up, but will not do it again. The ground was prepared with raking it out to bare rock so spreading it was simple, like spreading on rough asphalt.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:44 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
An experienced bobcat operator can spread rock way faster & evenly than a crew of five men.
It's cheaper to hire a bobcat with an operator than it is to just rent the bobcat yourself.
I had it done last year, and I did zero raking or leveling after the bobcat guy left.

100 tons is a massive amount of rock, but yam experienced operator could probably do it in a day,
At about $50 per hour. Way less than the $2k you were quoted.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:34 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
In 1990 my wife and I spread 9 tons of 3/8" coral gravel in Tucson, one wheelbarrow, one lawn rake, one leaf rake, two shovels. Two days in June. Had a pool so staying cool was easy. She liked the way it buffed her up, but will not do it again. The ground was prepared with raking it out to bare rock so spreading it was simple, like spreading on rough asphalt.
Spreading gravel is a time honored right of passage for new residents. It makes you one of "us". But 100 tons! No way.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:09 PM

24,279 posts, read 13,132,107 times
One consideration: how well-prepared is the surface? Also, how deep do you want it spread, and what size is the gravel? It may be best to hire a skid steer as Zippyman suggests, and then a compact tractor with a box blade to level it. If you've ever operated a skid steer, rent one; skid steers, once you get the hang of them, which is often very quickly, are a blast to operate.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:36 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
You must be the one with the dust warning. By hand figure 2 hours per yard or 3 minutes with a loader or spread by the driver. You will be responsible for tow bills if they get stuck.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:09 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,226,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
One consideration: how well-prepared is the surface? Also, how deep do you want it spread, and what size is the gravel? It may be best to hire a skid steer as Zippyman suggests, and then a compact tractor with a box blade to level it. If you've ever operated a skid steer, rent one; skid steers, once you get the hang of them, which is often very quickly, are a blast to operate.
The surface is very well prepared. I am essentially going to smooth over dirt paths/traisl taht have been abused by vehicles and ATV's. I am considering 1/4" minus Arizona Beige or 1/8" birdseye river rock. Don't want it spread deep, just enough to keep the dust down and I intend to have a water truck go over it.

Thank you for all your suggestions about hiring a bobcat operator. I think that's the way to go.

Old 03-06-2015, 01:24 AM

1 posts, read 5,087 times
I just put down 28 tons of landscape gravel in my front yard here in Phoenix. Since I have a corner lot, there’s a lot of area to cover.

For labor, I got some quotes from gravel people and on Craigslist of around $20.00 per ton to spread the gravel. With 28 tons, that comes to $560.00. Screw that.

Early this morning the truck dropped off, in the street, 2 loads of 14 tons of gravel each. 28 total tons of gravel.

I went down to where the day labor guys hang out in a parking lot and picked up 2 Mexican guys. One spoke English, so that was good. I had 2 borrowed wheelbarrows, 2 shovels, rakes, gloves and gravel ready to go when I brought them to the house.

The Mexican guys shoveled gravel into the wheelbarrows, rolled them up to where I was raking and dumped the load. Then repeat. I raked the gravel.

Using this method, it took us just under 6 hours to do the job. We took a 5-7 minute water break every hour and about 20 minutes for lunch at the 4 hour mark. This time was included in the 6 hours.

I provided water, lunch sandwiches & soda, along with some fresh fruit.

The two Mexicans worked hard. They shoveled, and I raked 56,000 pounds of gravel!

Since I wasn’t sure how long it would take, I had quoted them $15.00 per hour with a guarantee of 4 hours. Since the job ran about 6 hours, and they did a good job, I gave them each $100.

$200 was a HUGE savings over the $560 that the gravel people wanted. And the front yard looks great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area