Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 08:38 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,133,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Not to split hairs here but: 104 with 40 percent humidity works out to a dewpoint of 75 degrees. It is rare indeed that we have a dewpoint that high. More typically it's below 60 at that temp during the monsoon and WAY below this time of year. That makes the monsoon humidity more typically around 25-30% during the heat of the day. Very dry by most people's experience. It is less than 10% this time of year.
I was talking about the conditions inside a Bikram yoga studio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 11:31 AM

197 posts, read 454,053 times
Eh, not looking forward to it but I'll tolerate it. Time for the Phoenix haters to post up "Phoenix is a giant oven for suburban sprawl this time of year"... yeah yeah yeah.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:39 PM

93 posts, read 239,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stasi_crystals View Post
Eh, not looking forward to it but I'll tolerate it. Time for the Phoenix haters to post up "Phoenix is a giant oven for suburban sprawl this time of year"... yeah yeah yeah.
Those same folks were the ones complaining about how they hated the snow.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:15 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,265,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplr View Post
Those same folks were the ones complaining about how they hated the snow.
yup that about describes me. Hate snow, hate heat. too poor to move to San Deigo...so Ill do the next best thing...whine and complain

Old 05-14-2012, 10:00 PM

168 posts, read 456,576 times
During the summer, I would MUCH rather run here then back east. Sweating buckets when it's 95 degrees with 70% humidity = BLECH!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I've been here a long time and I still like the summer and heat. Frankly, it's a season I look forward to for many reasons

1. Decreased Traffic on roads
2. Decreased wait at restaurants
3. Decreased golf fees and opportunity to play championship courses without waiting and paying half the price
4. Summer Movies
5. D-Backs baseball
6. Departure of Snowbirds and Tourists
7. Drives to Sedona
8. Pool and BBQ - I have a covered patio with misters so I don't reside next to the pool and the heat doesn't get to me
9. The Heat Itself - Sometimes, I like to challenge myself and run in the heat for a great workout
10. Walks at night, the temps are perfect, you sweat a little but without the sun beaming on you, it's very tolerable

Of course the heat is a nuisance and I prefer our winters like anyone but I think our summers and heat are tolerable. I will still take this over any winter and by "any winter" I'm not talking Wisconsin winter, it doesn't have to get that cold. I still remember winter in Oklahoma and Kansas and that's cold enough.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:40 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,618,169 times
I'm confused. I was in PHX last month (April) and both days were over 100. No heat warning that I recall. Yet tomorrow, mid-May (which is when I expect most places to start heading towards summer temps), they issue a heat warning for your area? Why is 100+ not hot in April but it's excessive in May?

Old 05-14-2012, 10:58 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,427,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
I'm confused. I was in PHX last month (April) and both days were over 100. No heat warning that I recall. Yet tomorrow, mid-May (which is when I expect most places to start heading towards summer temps), they issue a heat warning for your area? Why is 100+ not hot in April but it's excessive in May?
It was hot the third weekend, 100 on Sat, 105 Sun, 103 Mon... I actually think there was a watch issued on Sunday, when it was 105.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:44 AM

272 posts, read 609,328 times
Phoenix is a giant oven for suburban sprawl this time of year.

Sorry - I just had to...

I just wish we could have made it out there sometime during the winter or spring. The heat's going to make it a little rough for my wife to acclimate.

I've been through it before; I know what to expect. She doesn't. It's hard to explain 110+ to someone who's never experienced it.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:20 AM

872 posts, read 1,000,064 times
I feel like I am the only one who loves the heat and never complain and I actually get excited for this time of year
I love the sun, it makes me feel good and energizes me
Been here for about 5 years and still love it and hate when it gets overcast

Old 05-15-2012, 07:52 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
Phoenix is a giant oven for suburban sprawl this time of year.

Sorry - I just had to...

I just wish we could have made it out there sometime during the winter or spring. The heat's going to make it a little rough for my wife to acclimate.

I've been through it before; I know what to expect. She doesn't. It's hard to explain 110+ to someone who's never experienced it.
You can always explain it (and demonstrate) to her like I do to people. Set your oven to it's lowest setting (usually around 120 deg) and just before it gets up to temp open the door and stick your head in or just stand real close to the opening. Voila! You've now experienced AZ in the summer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area