Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 08:41 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,272,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
You can always explain it (and demonstrate) to her like I do to people. Set your oven to it's lowest setting (usually around 120 deg) and just before it gets up to temp open the door and stick your head in or just stand real close to the opening. Voila! You've now experienced AZ in the summer!
in the Oven, throw some cat litter on the bottom, and and picture of a strip mall, turn on the light...and walla...Phoenix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 08:43 AM

1,553 posts, read 3,652,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnvlv247 View Post
I feel like I am the only one who loves the heat and never complain and I actually get excited for this time of year
I love the sun, it makes me feel good and energizes me
Been here for about 5 years and still love it and hate when it gets overcast
Well, you're not the only one. I love the warm weather and the positive things it creates for me.
I'm a water guy. I love being around any kind of water but I'm also a wimp when it comes to cold water. Summer temps bring warm water, both to my pool and to the lakes that I love to take my boat to.
I love the desert feel. The sunrises and sunsets are incredible.
It can be blazing hot during the day. I can't deny that but in the mornings, I sit by the pool with my morning coffee. The evenings you'll find me again poolside with the radio on and sipping on a cold one. The people that tell you that during the summer it never gets below 100 are lying. Even on those blazing hot days, it cools down at night. Maybe not to what they like but it does cool down. The hottest night I saw last year was 89 degrees at 6:00 am and it was usually much cooler than that.
My views are a bit jilted though. I moved from the Pacific Northwest so I didn't see much sun for 25 years.
Sunshine makes me happy.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:11 AM

272 posts, read 610,125 times
Worst nighttime low I personally saw in Phx was 94°F at 4am - but that was during the monsoon. Three or four mornings like that, and then it was over - but it was pretty gross while it was going on.

Last edited by JoeC; 05-15-2012 at 09:33 AM..

Old 05-15-2012, 10:02 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,137,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
I just wish we could have made it out there sometime during the winter or spring. The heat's going to make it a little rough for my wife to acclimate.

I've been through it before; I know what to expect. She doesn't. It's hard to explain 110+ to someone who's never experienced it.
I would have her hold a blow dryer (on low) near her arm and tell her that's what stepping outside feels like in 110. But that your house and your car are whatever temp you want them to be, and all other buildings are usually like ice boxes.

When I go outside after being in a public building, it's like getting into a warm spa on a cold day. AHHH. It feels terrific.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:16 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,058,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
I would have her hold a blow dryer (on low) near her arm and tell her that's what stepping outside feels like in 110. But that your house and your car are whatever temp you want them to be, and all other buildings are usually like ice boxes.

When I go outside after being in a public building, it's like getting into a warm spa on a cold day. AHHH. It feels terrific.
Yes but getting in can be painful unless one uses pot holders to open the door and then touch the steering wheel.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:10 PM

1,553 posts, read 3,652,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
in the Oven, throw some cat litter on the bottom, and and picture of a strip mall, turn on the light...and walla...Phoenix.
Hmm, you must live in a really crappy part of town. lol.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
Hmm, you must live in a really crappy part of town. lol.
Gilbert AZ, oh its nice...yeah you can use the clean litter. Thats all this Valley is, one big litter box with sparse trees, strip malls, tan houses with swimming pools. But hey, no snow so I guess its all OK.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:25 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,137,497 times
Quote:
I've traveled all over and the strip mall comments kind of baffle me. I guess if you're in DC or Manhattan or some other major urban center it's different, but most US cities have strip malls on major corners. Some of them are quite lovely, if you ask me. All of them are convenient... easy to get in and out of and see, plenty of parking...

I guess if you prefer the model where your residence is a fifth floor walkup over a nightclub or Chinese restaurant, or you need to go up a highrise elevator to get to your dog groomer. Or the small town model of each corner has ONE business: a barber with a pole, the only town cafe...

I like all the choices of having a Frys, Starbucks, fast food, hardware, law office and dentist (and add about 10 businesses) on every corner!

Old 05-15-2012, 05:03 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,324,589 times
What is comical is Southern California receives rave reviews and it's essentially Phoenix with a coast. You do realize that So Cal is a desert as well and if you don't believe me, watch the academy award winning film China Town. It has lots of strip malls, sparse folliage ec. It has the same look as Phoenix except it has more traffic, smog, crime and run down areas. So Cal is not as hot as Phoenix obviously but areas of it are nearly as hot.

The point is the people who want to dislike Phoenix will use all types adjectives to put it down. What they don't tell you is that they are struggling in their personal lives. Many of them lack jobs and vent their frustrations upon the city. They probably can't afford to live in one of the nicer areas so they lie about where they live or extrapolate their poor area to describe the entire city. They exaggerate negative aspects. It's sad that in 2012, these people are still on this forum and haven't left. They assume different ID's but the writing is the same and I can pick them out.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
I've traveled all over and the strip mall comments kind of baffle me. I guess if you're in DC or Manhattan or some other major urban center it's different, but most US cities have strip malls on major corners. Some of them are quite lovely, if you ask me. All of them are convenient... easy to get in and out of and see, plenty of parking...

I guess if you prefer the model where your residence is a fifth floor walkup over a nightclub or Chinese restaurant, or you need to go up a highrise elevator to get to your dog groomer. Or the small town model of each corner has ONE business: a barber with a pole, the only town cafe...

I like all the choices of having a Frys, Starbucks, fast food, hardware, law office and dentist (and add about 10 businesses) on every corner!
nothing wrong with that...strip malls bring you happiness. After 4 years, Im getting a bit tired of the same scene everywhere. Want to see the Opposite of this, check out Boise Idaho, or Eugen/Portland Oregon, Austin Texas...and of course there are more. I look out my business window down Bell rd and all I see is strip mall after strip mall...kind of like watching the old Flintstone Cartoons where Fred and Barney are driving along and the background keeps repeating and repeating...and repeating. The cat box reference is because there is gravel everywhere I look. Business with gravel, homes with gravel..gravel, gravel gravel, its everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area