Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 09:47 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,719,283 times

Advertisements

I'm an active guy but I sure as hell do not do cartwheels when I hear Dave Munsey mention 107 early next week.However, I knew what I signed up for in becoming a full time resident here. Again, the 110's beat the hell out of blizzards and -10 windchills back in NY. There is no perfect place to live. However, I will be once again loving the 60's next January when NY is digging out.

I do yard work and still hike over 100 on weekends here during the day. My biggest issue is my battery going dead without warning yesterday evening. Granted, I had it for as long as I had my 5 year old SUV. However, unlike NY where you see "warning signs" for several days on a dying battery, it just crapped out last night on me. Truck started great when I left work at 3. Dead as disco when I started it at 5 to run an errand yesterday. No warning signs at all.

The good news is AAA Premier gives you a FREE battery if their battery craps out inside of 3 years. Given that the average shelf life of a battery is only 2 1/2 years out here, my next one will be free. Plus, a 200 mile free tow and 4 100 mile free tows give you peace of mind if you like to travel as I do. AAA should be as much of a necessity as having good AC out here. Unless you are a couch potato that watches tv all hours of the day all summer to avoid the heat. Anyone with physical hobbies overcomes the heat. Again, I do not enjoy 110. However, I refuse to allow it to change my routine.

So in closing, summer is my least favorite time of year here. However, the other 7-8 months more than negate the 100's of summer. Just have to deal with it and have hobbies to keep you occupied. Namely swimming and kayaking as I have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 09:11 AM

1,484 posts, read 2,259,830 times
I was in England for a few years, so I got used to that fast. I spent my first summer back in the US last year in Louisiana, it was rough. So coming here and it being hot (It got up to 118 a lot in Louisiana) but without humidity, I feel like that helped me. I don't know if it's because I spend all day in a really cold office... but I haven't noticed the heat so much. I'm not out a lot, I admit. But the only time I feel really icky is driving home. I haven't tinted my windows yet.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:36 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,766,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR2012 View Post
I was in England for a few years, so I got used to that fast. I spent my first summer back in the US last year in Louisiana, it was rough. So coming here and it being hot (It got up to 118 a lot in Louisiana) but without humidity, I feel like that helped me. I don't know if it's because I spend all day in a really cold office... but I haven't noticed the heat so much. I'm not out a lot, I admit. But the only time I feel really icky is driving home. I haven't tinted my windows yet.
The highest temperature recorded in Louisiana is 114°, Fahrenheit. This record high was recorded on August, 10, 1936 at Plain Dealing.

gotta love google

Old 05-19-2012, 04:46 PM

58 posts, read 203,857 times
Once you've been here long enough, you forget from year to year if one month was hotter than the previous year. I've been here 12 years and it varies. Once May hits...summer has begun and you just grit your teeth and get through next 5-6 months as best you can.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:20 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,259,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoAZnative View Post
The highest temperature recorded in Louisiana is 114°, Fahrenheit. This record high was recorded on August, 10, 1936 at Plain Dealing.

gotta love google
Hmmm... we had 118 in Bossier this year, I saw it with my own eyes. Maybe the weatherman can't read. Oh well either way what's 4 degrees when you have very high humidity... either way it was NASTY and this dry heat is much easier on me.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:40 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,304,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmib View Post

Do you guys feel this year particularly hotter than before?
On City Data, every year is hotter than the year before

Don't listen to people. The hot weather is on average from mid-May to mid-October; its 5 months. It varies each year and some years it's shorter and some years it's longer. Personally, May and October don't bother me at all. For me the Summer is only 4 months: June to September. I'm a rarity on this forum in that I work during the day so I miss most of the heat so I can't relate to people who lament not being able to go outdoors at 1 PM on a Monday.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 05-19-2012 at 08:49 PM..

Old 05-20-2012, 12:40 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,252,856 times
Compared to last year, this April and May is definitely hotter. I remember it not getting hot until mid June last year. However, that does not mean the whole summer will be hotter on average than last year.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:03 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,609,474 times
I was thinking that last year we just had a break on an early summer. Last year was cooler than most to me. Not this year is hotter. For some reason summer didn't really start last year until mid June. That I noticed. 111 tomorrow is pretty high, but it's one day and then we will go back to 105, or around.

I feel for those who can't take the heat, this isn't the best place to be for that obviously but I really welcome it. One of the reasons I stay. My body runs cool, I still get a little cool in the morning in the summer and welcome that heat when I walk outside after sitting in the cold ac. I just love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: