Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 02:04 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,239,394 times

Advertisements

There really isn't much there on the rez side, it makes way too much sense.

I wonder how much traffic would be reduced on I-10 from Chandler out to West of Phoenix, as in I have no clue and couldn't even guesstimate what percentage on that stretch of road are passing thru with no intention of going toward downtown Phx so would use the bypass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 02:57 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,645,697 times
the last vote the reservation had was idiotic. The ballot held a "no build" option, which got the most votes. They voted to not build the freeway at all, which was never an option for them to decide.

I would hope they approve it for reservation land, I don't want to see south mountain destroyed. But if they don't let's get moving on this thing and build it already! Yes, eminent domain sucks, but occasionally we need to do what is good for the masses. this small neighborhood has known about the freeway for many years now, they had a chance to prepare for the buy out.

chandler az - Google Maps

Old 05-16-2012, 03:14 PM

17,916 posts, read 43,619,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
There really isn't much there on the rez side, it makes way too much sense.

I wonder how much traffic would be reduced on I-10 from Chandler out to West of Phoenix, as in I have no clue and couldn't even guesstimate what percentage on that stretch of road are passing thru with no intention of going toward downtown Phx so would use the bypass.
There's quite a bit of through traffic comiing from the east on I-10 heading for LA and other points west, both truck and car traffic, which has no need to go through Phx but has no choice at this point.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:26 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,239,394 times
I know, I think it would be interesting to know an approx percentage during rush hour. Is it 10%? 25%?

Could make quite an impact for commuters along the I-10 corridor.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:39 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,780,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
There's quite a bit of through traffic comiing from the east on I-10 heading for LA and other points west, both truck and car traffic, which has no need to go through Phx but has no choice at this point.
A cheaper way to build a bypass would be a freeway connecting I-8 and I-10 near Gila Bend.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:41 AM

8,059 posts, read 12,363,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros 1337 View Post
Tax money is allocated for the Pecos Road alignment, not the Gila River Indian Reservation alignment. If the Gila River Indian Reservation votes on the alignment through the reservation, then tolls would make sense.
Very true ... and besides, I'd like to see it become a toll freeway regardless of what side of the boundary they decide to put it on. Many people who are opposed to toll roads claim that freeways should be "free" ... but that's where they are badly mistaken because these roads have to be paid for somehow. Nothing is free! Sales taxes pay for most of these freeways, but ADOT has screwed up so many times in managing the funds that cutbacks, delays, and excuses have become common place with that agency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
what has happened is that there have been budget shortfalls and they are trying to cut back the project costs - now looking at near 55th avenue for the I-10 alignment, going from 10 lanes to 8, etc
Yeah, right ... budget shortfalls. How many times have we heard that lame excuse?! ADOT claimed budget shortfalls were the reason why the original 231 miles of freeways couldn't be built originally. ADOT claimed budget shortfalls were why they built new freeways with only three lanes in each direction. The problem is ADOT and MAG plan very poorly when it comes to budgets. They base their predictions on robust economic periods, and even claimed in the 2004 that the sales tax extension would be "recession proof".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny536 View Post
I would hope they approve it for reservation land, I don't want to see south mountain destroyed. But if they don't let's get moving on this thing and build it already! Yes, eminent domain sucks, but occasionally we need to do what is good for the masses. this small neighborhood has known about the freeway for many years now, they had a chance to prepare for the buy out.
Yes, this South Mountain extension of Loop 202 has been on the books since 1985, so enough of this stalling around. Too much time has been wasted, and too many delays have taken place ... partly due to ADOT's bumbling, but another part can be blamed on the stupid NIMBYs in the Ahwatukee Foothills who have been fighting this. They're afraid it will destroy part of South Mountain, or afraid it will come too close to homes, schools, or whatever. Enough already! It's time to build this freeway, and the NIMBYs need to put up or shut up.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:32 PM

17,916 posts, read 43,619,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Very true ... and besides, I'd like to see it become a toll freeway regardless of what side of the boundary they decide to put it on. Many people who are opposed to toll roads claim that freeways should be "free" ... but that's where they are badly mistaken because these roads have to be paid for somehow. Nothing is free! Sales taxes pay for most of these freeways, but ADOT has screwed up so many times in managing the funds that cutbacks, delays, and excuses have become common place with that agency.

Yeah, right ... budget shortfalls. How many times have we heard that lame excuse?! ADOT claimed budget shortfalls were the reason why the original 231 miles of freeways couldn't be built originally. ADOT claimed budget shortfalls were why they built new freeways with only three lanes in each direction. The problem is ADOT and MAG plan very poorly when it comes to budgets. They base their predictions on robust economic periods, and even claimed in the 2004 that the sales tax extension would be "recession proof".

Yes, this South Mountain extension of Loop 202 has been on the books since 1985, so enough of this stalling around. Too much time has been wasted, and too many delays have taken place ... partly due to ADOT's bumbling, but another part can be blamed on the stupid NIMBYs in the Ahwatukee Foothills who have been fighting this. They're afraid it will destroy part of South Mountain, or afraid it will come too close to homes, schools, or whatever. Enough already! It's time to build this freeway, and the NIMBYs need to put up or shut up.
I agree with you about the toll road issue. Those who want the convenience of the bypass can help pay for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I know, I think it would be interesting to know an approx percentage during rush hour. Is it 10%? 25%?

Could make quite an impact for commuters along the I-10 corridor.

I don't think there's any way to know the percentage. Looking at all the traffic backed up on there the other day when I-10 was closed, there were a lot of trucks, which would be largely through traffic, and there have to be a good percentage of cars, too. If you are driving across the country, you don't necessarily plan to avoid big cities during rush hour.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:00 PM

310 posts, read 1,165,302 times
As a person whose former job was travelling across the country and spending multiple days on the road, I did try to avoid the cities during rush hour and high traffic times. And, most major cities these days have some sort of bypass or "loop" route to skirt around the traffic without having to go thru the city.

Look at all the tractor trailer traffic on the I10- most of that heading W-E and E-W from Cali to Texas and vice versa...all that mess could be diverted...hopefully lessening morning and afternoon commutes

Last edited by observer53; 05-17-2012 at 09:12 PM.. Reason: deleted quoted post as the tag had been deleted and couldn't be fixed

Old 05-17-2012, 09:37 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,376,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros 1337 View Post
Tax money is allocated for the Pecos Road alignment, not the Gila River Indian Reservation alignment. If the Gila River Indian Reservation votes on the alignment through the reservation, then tolls would make sense.
I would be happy to pay a toll if it means expanding the Valley, opening opportunities for development/jobs and most importantly relieving traffic. It would essentially connect the East Valley directly to the West Valley. It would benefit the Valley immensely. While none of us like tolls, if toll booths are the price to be paid to make this become a reality, I think most will make an exception and agree to it.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:40 AM

570 posts, read 1,007,886 times
I think ADOT will find a way to get Loop 202 South Mountain built. They have to be pretty determined, otherwise it would have been officially dropped years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area