Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 03:21 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,708,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
people don't answer to strangers in some pretty nice areas.
If they're scared of opening the door, that isnt what I would call a nice area. I don't expect to be invited inside, (but it has happened), I'm not expecting to be their best friend, but it would be nice if they were not so socially hobbled that they can't tell me one of my shingles blew off the house, or they saw someone rummaging through my recycle bin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 05:55 PM

13,865 posts, read 8,072,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
.... My current neighbor was overjoyed when we bought our current house, having a vacant house next door gave her the willies.
Isn`t this where the HOA comes in? (Assuming you have one.)

I pay a good $40-$55 a month in dues for my properties and if there is a problem with any of the neighbors I will bring it to the attention of the HOA.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Isn`t this where the HOA comes in? (Assuming you have one.)

I pay a good $40-$55 a month in dues for my properties and if there is a problem with any of the neighbors I will bring it to the attention of the HOA.
And that's not the kind of neighbor i am, nor is it the kind of neighbor I want. Example - I was at my rental house last week, and there were several shingles in my lawn. I was worried, so I climbed on the roof & checked mine (they were all fine). Then I went to my neighbors house, and let him know that I found some shingles in my yard, and he ought to check his roof. It turns out he was missing some shingles. I loaned him my air compressor so he could fix his roof before work. No big deal, no hoa needed, and I don't expect anything in return.

The neighbor on the other side called me last month to let me know there was a strange pickup with a bunch of guys inside, sitting in my driveway..

It turns out it was my tile-setting guy, who showed up on the wrong day.

Just basic neighborliness, you don't need to pay $55 per month to get that...

Now, the neighbor down the street with the half-assembled project car in his driveway, doesn't get "neighborly" goodness, he's old enough to know that you can't park an unlicensed, half-assembled car in your driveway, so ill just report him to the city. Again, no hoa needed, it's against the law, and it doesn't cost $55 a month to take care of those issues either.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnp View Post
Zippyman, what kind of questions do you ask the neighbors? That's what I want to do, but not sure how to break the ice and what to ask, as I'm pretty shy in person. Neighbor problems are my biggest concern when buying there, as the homes are so close together, so I'd like to get an idea of how the neighbors are.
Sorry I missed the first part of your question - when I knock on a neighbor's door, I say, "Hi, I'm Zippyman, and I'm thinking about buying the house next door, can you tell me about this neighborhood?".. Then, I just listen. That's really all most people need to hear & they'll tell you way more than any property disclosure statement ever does.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
...Just basic neighborliness, you don't need to pay $55 per month to get that...

Now, the neighbor down the street with the half-assembled project car in his driveway, doesn't get "neighborly" goodness, he's old enough to know that you can't park an unlicensed, half-assembled car in your driveway, so ill just report him to the city. Again, no hoa needed, it's against the law, and it doesn't cost $55 a month to take care of those issues either.
Unfortunately, it only takes one or two thoughtless homeowner to turn away potential renters/buyers. Sure phoning the police might save you money but I prefer that the problem either not be allowed or be promptly addressed.

My experience has been you simply can’t trust either renters or the people across the street to help maintain property values. I certainly don’t like forking over $400-$600 a year in HOA fees but if it helps ensure the neighborhood looks clean I’m all for it.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:10 PM

1,087 posts, read 3,522,501 times
Quote:
Sorry I missed the first part of your question - when I knock on a neighbor's door, I say, "Hi, I'm Zippyman, and I'm thinking about buying the house next door, can you tell me about this neighborhood?".. Then, I just listen. That's really all most people need to hear & they'll tell you way more than any property disclosure statement ever does.
Thanks, Zippyman.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:12 PM

800 posts, read 1,913,507 times
"I found it odd for example that after making strong bids on short-sale properties to rarely be asked for a counter offer."

In this market that is not uncommon at all. If a house is priced at or around market value, it will often receive multiple offers on the same day it is listed. Sellers don't need or want to send out counter offers, especially on a short sale. They pick the offer that appears most likely to be approved by the bank. That means that if someone offers 5K over list price, but there are any contingencies at all, such as must get financing, must meet appraisal, etc., another offer of all cash with no contingencies for list price would appear much stronger.

That said, there are certainly "side deals" going on in some cases. But the red flag isn't that sellers aren't countering.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Chris Webb View Post
"I found it odd for example that after making strong bids on short-sale properties to rarely be asked for a counter offer."

In this market that is not uncommon at all. If a house is priced at or around market value, it will often receive multiple offers on the same day it is listed. Sellers don't need or want to send out counter offers, especially on a short sale. They pick the offer that appears most likely to be approved by the bank. That means that if someone offers 5K over list price, but there are any contingencies at all, such as must get financing, must meet appraisal, etc., another offer of all cash with no contingencies for list price would appear much stronger.

That said, there are certainly "side deals" going on in some cases. But the red flag isn't that sellers aren't countering.

No but I do feel this did occur in several instances. I was offering cash and the stats. where I was looking (starting last summer) pointed to home closing between $3500 under or over the asking price. A 4 bed 2 bath in Gilbert at $130,000-135,000 was a great deal and it was here I would come up short even when offering $5000 over the asking price.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:12 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,136,151 times
Quote:
If it takes the bank 6 months to decide whether to accept a bid, how long would it take them if they tried to haggle with the bidders? I can't even imagine.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
If it takes the bank 6 months to decide whether to accept a bid, how long would it take them if they tried to haggle with the bidders? I can't even imagine.
The stronger the offer the more likely the bank will accept the short-sale price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area