Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2007, 10:23 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,165,894 times

Advertisements

I'm starting to really have a fondness of central Phoenix. It's probably because I'm growing ever tired of driving so far to and from work. But at times, while sitting in traffic on 7th st, I look around and wonder how it would be like to live in that area.

I had to leave my office today as I was having a nervous breakdown, so I drove around for about an hour. I drove south on 7th st from Camelback down to McDowell then headed toward central, but it was backed up bad from the light rail construction, so I turned around to head to 16th st and then went back up north to Glendale. I ended up driving around a residential area and was just shocked at the homes that are so nice, you know, the historic areas. I lived for a year and a half at 3rd ave and Indian School, but I don't think that area compares to the more central area. I didn't like living down there for the most part due to the traffic and construction and other stuff.

The sad part is that these little historic homes are more than I paid for my home, I think they start at $400k?

I'm thinking of moving my private practice down to this area so it's close to my day job and be more accessible to my clients. Right now it's at Arrowhead Mall.

Anyone else fond of Central Phx, and would you live there if you could?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 10:39 PM

52 posts, read 135,576 times
Sable Baby,

I lived in north Scottsdale for 15 years. Thankfully, I found a job in central Phoenix, and ended up moving to minimize my commute. I've been in north central for almost 10 years now. I LOVE IT. It's the closest thing we have to the neighborhoods I grew up in back home (St. Louis). Old homes. Trees. People who have lived here for multiple generations (there are several original owners still living on my street - the homes were built in the 50's!). I love that this is an area where people are dug in. They raised their kids here, and the kids and grandkids still live here. People are friendly and look out for one another. Quaint, non-chain restaurants and shops. Did I mention the trees?

Central Phoenix is by far superior to the life I had in north Scottsdale. I absolutely refuse to live anywhere else in Phoenix. I'd sooner move out of state (and someday I will!). Move to central Phoenix - you won't regret it!

Old 09-20-2007, 11:12 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,165,894 times
Nice description, bigfez. Sounds like a neighborhood that most are looking for, but never find in the burbs. I doubt that I will ever move down there, especially with the way the market has been, but never say never! There are many areas that I like throughout the valley. But, moving my practice down there might be the best alternative. Glad to hear you love living there! It's so great to hear someone who loves their neighborhood.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:37 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,308,989 times
I've also been exploring central Phoenix a lot lately-- mainly because I want to make sure I've discovered everything Phoenix has to offer before I cross this place off the list once and for all. I would say that north-central Phoenix, Biltmore, and Arcadia are the best areas. North-central PHX, and the area around 16th st and Bethany in particular, seems to be chock full of independant, interesting restaurants and stores. There's a bunch of areas that are so-so, transition areas perhaps, neighborhoods like Green Gables, Phoenix Homesteads, 24th and Thomas area. There's bad areas like 32nd and McDowell, anything off Van Buren, full of illegal immigrants living in slums, stray dogs running around, homeless people sleeping by the canal, high crime and grime. Then there's areas that are downright scary-- like anything immediately south of the baseball stadium and the areas right around the state capitol.

Here's one observation I've made though: the nice 1950s era neighborhoods of "central" Phoenix is what in every other city would be called an inner-ring suburb, not "The City." It's centrally located, sure, but there's really nothing "urban" about it. It's still completely car dependent with strip malls right off pollution choked arterials. Take 7th st and McDowell, for example. You've got a Safeway on one corner with a Starbucks-anchored strip mall, a McDonalds on another corner, and a Walgreens on another. Central Avenue in certain spots kind of flirts with being an urban place, and the light rail might bump it up to the next level, but it's still very spread out and not that walkable.

So far I haven't discovered anything that has truly "wowed" me. The closest thing I've seen is on Roosevelt st in a three block area west of central ave, with the Italian deli (that seems to be always closed whenever I'm in the area ). That little stretch of road (and the Roosevelt historic district neighborhood behind it) is pleasing to the eye. Problem is, there's nothing to do there... other than simply walk around, I guess.

One thing that is severely lacking in central Phoenix is mini "neighborhood downtowns." The only thing I've seen that remotely comes close is the Le Grande Orange area on 40th st/ Campbell-- and even that's not really what I have in mind. That and the artist's area on Roosevelt st between 3rd st and 7th st-- which isn't really an in-tact neighborhood. You have Copper Square-- the actual downtown of Phoenix, and that's pretty much it.

Old 09-22-2007, 06:23 AM

2,788 posts, read 7,450,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post

Anyone else fond of Central Phx, and would you live there if you could?
Absolutely. I think it's an interesting area that is getting better all the time. For me, I like to balance proximity to downtown with access to the mountains and a good school district. For that reason, North Central Phoenix and the Madison District are the best fit for me. If I did not have a family, a bungalow in an historic district or a condo in one of the new towers under construction would be very appealing. As you state, affordability is the biggest issue.

Old 09-22-2007, 08:35 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfez View Post
Sable Baby,

I lived in north Scottsdale for 15 years. Thankfully, I found a job in central Phoenix, and ended up moving to minimize my commute. I've been in north central for almost 10 years now. I LOVE IT. It's the closest thing we have to the neighborhoods I grew up in back home (St. Louis). Old homes. Trees. People who have lived here for multiple generations (there are several original owners still living on my street - the homes were built in the 50's!). I love that this is an area where people are dug in. They raised their kids here, and the kids and grandkids still live here. People are friendly and look out for one another. Quaint, non-chain restaurants and shops. Did I mention the trees?

Central Phoenix is by far superior to the life I had in north Scottsdale. I absolutely refuse to live anywhere else in Phoenix. I'd sooner move out of state (and someday I will!). Move to central Phoenix - you won't regret it!
I know exactly of what you speak of........it does not look like the stereotypical Phoenix area.

You must be referring to the Central/Bethany Home area-------I agree: it flat blows N Scottsdale away in the 'vibe' department.

Heck: even the 12th St/Indian School area is improving
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area