Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 10:26 AM

3 posts, read 3,140 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm moving from NJ to Phoenix to attend ASU. I am planning to live in the student housing they have, which is located at 120 E. Taylor St. I am currently under the impression that all of my classes will be located on the ASU Phoenix campus, as will my job for my first year. Would it be necessary for me to have a car? If not, how difficult would it be to get around? Your help is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 10:53 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,136,151 times
Do you have that address right? Is it several miles north of the school?

If it's on campus housing and you have on campus dining and you don't expect to want to get around much, you should be ok. Between walking, biking, the free local shuttle and light rail, you should be able to get mostly where you need to go.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:21 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,786,533 times
We have car-less ASU students on my street, and I am 2 miles from DT Campus.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:53 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,950,670 times
If you're living in student housing, you should be fine. Even if you happen to have some classes on the Tempe campus, there's a light rail line that goes from downtown to campus -- it's about a 30 minute ride. You can buy a semester pass if you're a full-time student at ASU.

Between Mill Ave in Tempe, and downtown Phoenix, you should find everything you'll need. Definitely get a Valley Metro semester pass, though. If you're 21+, you'll love to be able to take the light rail to Mill Ave, and drink with other ASU students. If drinking's not your thing, there's still more going on at the Tempe campus than the downtown campus. Between a student meal plan, and the CVS downtown, all of your food and shopping needs should be taken care of.

Sounds like you'll be fine.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:00 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,462,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
Do you have that address right? Is it several miles north of the school?

If it's on campus housing and you have on campus dining and you don't expect to want to get around much, you should be ok. Between walking, biking, the free local shuttle and light rail, you should be able to get mostly where you need to go.
The OP is talking about the downtown campus. That housing is right in the midst of the downtown campus.

To the OP-- you can use the light rail to get out to the main campus and to downtown Tempe. If all your classes are downtown (and they may or may not be) you should be okay without a car.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:11 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,177,626 times
Actually ASU has their own "bus" for students who go to other campuses. I'm a student at the Downtown campus and found that out.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:24 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,462,871 times
I forgot about the buses. Between that and the light rail, not a problem getting to Tempe (or the other campuses for that matter).

Old 05-28-2012, 05:37 PM

3 posts, read 3,140 times
Thank you all, I appreciate your input. Saved me the cost of transporting my car cross country. However, I do plan on traveling to Las Vegas with some frequency as I have family there. Is it easy to get to Sky Harbor from the downtown campus?

Old 05-28-2012, 05:53 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,786,533 times
Light Rail to the airport....quite a bit easier than driving.

Last edited by khuntrevor; 05-28-2012 at 06:05 PM..

Old 05-28-2012, 09:00 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,950,670 times
As khuntrevor said, the Light Rail has indirect access to the airport. Hop off at the 44th/Washington St stop, and transfer onto the airport shuttle. There's a free shuttle bus in place right now, however construction is nearing completion on the "Phoenix Skytrain", which is basically an elevated rail line going from the Light Rail station to the airport. Nearly impossible to miss. I'd say from downtown, it's about 15-20 minutes to the 44th/Washington stop. Depending on transfer times, you could get to the airport in about 30-45 minutes, which isn't too bad.

Though, it's a shame there's no easy access to the Mesa Gateway airport (unless there's a Rapid Transit bus that goes there). Mesa Gateway offers unbelievably cheap flights to Vegas, especially if you don't have baggage. My roommate flew there back in January, and got a round-trip ticket for about $90!

If only your classes were at ASU Polytech Campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area