Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your favorite radio station (Phoenix area)
KTAR (news) 2 3.08%
KOOL FM (oldies) 6 9.23%
KYOT (smooth jazz) 6 9.23%
Mix 96.9 (adult/top 40) 2 3.08%
Movin' 97.5 (R&B) 2 3.08%
KUPD (album rock) 4 6.15%
98.7 the Peak ('70s, '80s, and whatever) 3 4.62%
KESZ (adult/soft rock) 1 1.54%
KSLX (classic rock) 8 12.31%
KNIX (country) 4 6.15%
Kiss FM (teen hits/top 40) 4 6.15%
KFYI (news/talk) 3 4.62%
Other 20 30.77%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-13-2007, 03:11 PM

51 posts, read 159,432 times

Advertisements

XM

used to listen to 101.5 and actually liked the format change to talk radio but then it went away.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 07:26 PM

81 posts, read 356,100 times
is there any good talk non-politics radio in AZ?

Old 12-11-2007, 11:03 PM

788 posts, read 2,110,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Brown View Post
is there any good talk non-politics radio in AZ?
I listen to NPR a lot. Most of it is national, and a good deal of it contains current events, including politics, but they have a lot of cultural talk programs, such as Fresh Air in the afternoon, and Here and Now, which has both news stories and other interesting cultural stories. On the weekend, they have other programs during the day such as Car Talk (funny), What do you know? (funny current events game show, and on Fridays there's Science Friday on Talk of the Nation (morning/afternoon), which is usually interesting. KJZZ, the NPR carrier, also has local stories, I think on Fridays (?), and they do a weekly interview with Governor Napolitano.

That's why I love NPR/KJZZ. It's not ALL politics and opinion. There's lots of other stuff, lots of variety

Old 12-15-2007, 07:37 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Just curious if anybody here listens to 99.9 (KESZ) during this time of year. That station plays Christmas music continuously starting around the middle part of November through Christmas Day. The reason I'm asking is it seems to receive high ratings, and many stores broadcast it over their loud speakers ... but I noticed that the station didn't get any votes in this poll.

I find their format to be quite monotonous on a regular basis with their Josh Groban/James Blunt/Celine Dion type of elevator mush ... but the 24/7 holiday music is even more of a turn off. An excellent cure for insomnia, but that's about all it's good for. Just my opinion.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:39 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I find their format to be quite monotonous on a regular basis with their Josh Groban/James Blunt/Celine Dion type of elevator mush ... but the 24/7 holiday music is even more of a turn off. An excellent cure for insomnia, but that's about all it's good for. Just my opinion.
!00% agree. I'm so tired of the continous xmas music. I'd like to shoot Alvin the chipmunk!

Old 12-16-2007, 08:56 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post
Hardore soft rock/smooth jazz? Isn't that a bit of an oxymoron?
Aphrodite's Child
Keiko Matsui
Paul Hardcastle
Steely Dan
Renaissance (both the modern band as well as 'Ren Fair' type music)
Clannad
Joe Sample
Alan Parson's Project
Brian Auger
Four Play
Traffic
Fifth Dimension
Friends of Distinction
Spanky and our Gang
Young Rascals
Zombles
It's a Beautiful Day
Super Session (with Al Kooper)

And; I do have the Doors' LA Woman and the self titled CD with 'Light my Fire' on it.

Add in a couple of Charlie Daniels Band discs and there you have my tastes in music

If KYOT were to leave; it would definitely be 'XM' time

Old 12-16-2007, 09:02 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
I remember AM radio back in the '70s. KRUX, KUPD, and KRIZ were the three stations in Phoenix that all the kids listened to for top 40 or rock music. The '70s gave us some of the best musical variety of any era: soft rock, hard rock, disco, R&B, and country ... all of which was played on the top 40 stations. These days, all the top 40 stations seem to play is Britney Spears teen pop garbage, and tons of rap.

That's one reason I like 98.7 the Peak: they play whatever their listeners want, and that includes just about everything that came out in the 1970s & '80s. That's what I call a good variety!
Funny that you brought that up: there was a really neat station based out of San Jose called KOME 98.5 FM. Yes; the call letters spawned many double entendres (sp) that I will not post. Just that ca. 1978-82 they were quite the mix ranging from Joni Mitchell through The Doors on to Deep Purple with some softer rock as well.

The closest station here in the Phx area would be KSLX-----especially since KDKB evidently picked up the harder end of vintage (1980's+) rock in recent years.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:57 PM

639 posts, read 2,711,411 times
If I listen to the radio it is mainly sports talk on AM. However if I do listen to FM it is only on 100.7, classic rock! Sirius is my preferred choice at home.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:30 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,957,136 times
Quote:
Just curious if anybody here listens to 99.9 (KESZ) during this time of year. That station plays Christmas music continuously starting around the middle part of November through Christmas Day. The reason I'm asking is it seems to receive high ratings, and many stores broadcast it over their loud speakers ... but I noticed that the station didn't get any votes in this poll.

I listen to it every year at this time. I even listen to the Beth and Bill show somedays at holiday time when they are talking about food. Other than that I turn them off the rest of the year.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:59 AM

473 posts, read 1,670,690 times
i lived in phx for a bit and hands down it was KYOT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area