Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 06:49 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Everyone had an opportunity to buy before the prices began to increase. The regular buyers apparently held back, while the investors came in and bought.

The investors were responsible for helping stabilize the market because they were buying. So it was a very good thing the investors were buying. It's only after the market had begun to increase that some of the regular buyers started to buy.
No worries. You can buy from the "investors" a year or two down the road at a considerable discount after they've lost their shorts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 06:52 AM

188 posts, read 515,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
No worries. You can buy from the "investors" a year or two down the road at a considerable discount after they've lost their shorts.
Lost their shorts on what? Prices are still well below reality... except maybe those prices quoted earlier in Gilbert. I think in another year or two we'll be at normal and then we'll start seeing (hopefully) mild increases because people still want to move here.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:16 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Tsk,tsk,tsk still riding that "houses are going to fall another XX %" are you? Is that when the "shadow inventory" gets released or another debacle?

Old 07-13-2012, 07:52 AM

9,744 posts, read 11,165,585 times
Quote:
I bought at about $51ish a square foot. A conservative market is at $69 a square foot. I paid cash. My shorts are firmly attached!

Old 07-13-2012, 07:54 AM

188 posts, read 515,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I bought at about $51ish a square foot. A conservative market is at $69 a square foot. I paid cash. My shorts are firmly attached!
Smart thinking... and it's only going to go up from there!

Old 07-13-2012, 08:05 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,781,079 times
Quote:
The investors I've worked with are looking at a time frame of 5-10 years. Most of them paid cash and have their homes rented out, so they're making money every month. Even if prices go down, they are still making money on the rental income, which is the purpose of their investment.

Absent some sort of personal financial emergency where they may need some cash, they don't have any need to sell until the time is right for them.

For the investors to lose money on their capital investment during the next two years, prices would have to go down drastically. I try to keep up on what the market is currently doing, plus the trends because I own some rental properties. The information I have doesn't appear to support your projection of a huge decline during the next two years.

Since I'm always eager to learn more about the market, please point me to the data you're using to make your projection.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:54 AM

357 posts, read 712,027 times
I don't think investors will completely leave the market or dump properties in 2 years however if prices continue to rise the ROI will not be there for them anymore and they will leave the market to an extent (this just seems logical - if they can't make money on their rentals they won't buy).

My question is what will happen to the market when this happens - my uneducated guess is getting back to a normal amount of inventory and prices perhaps slipping 5% or so but if someone else has theories, or facts, please share. For instance, Captain Bill, are the investors you are working with still snapping up properties?

Old 07-13-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz451 View Post
I don't think investors will completely leave the market or dump properties in 2 years however if prices continue to rise the ROI will not be there for them anymore and they will leave the market to an extent (this just seems logical - if they can't make money on their rentals they won't buy).

My question is what will happen to the market when this happens - my uneducated guess is getting back to a normal amount of inventory and prices perhaps slipping 5% or so but if someone else has theories, or facts, please share. For instance, Captain Bill, are the investors you are working with still snapping up properties?
Each investor I was working with had a budgeted number of properties to buy, and they have all purchased their budgeted number.

I have since been turning down investors because they are looking for homes <$150k and it takes too much time to buy one now. I can't spend the amount of time required to find them homes now without charging them for my time. The last home that I purchased for an investor took around 25 offers, plus previewing about 75 homes.

Currently I'm spending most of my time working with listings.

The more accurate data on investors is in this chart below, courtesy of the Cromford Report. It shows the investor market still strong.
Attached Thumbnails
Breaking News: Phoenix home prices up 32% in past year-flash.jpg  

Old 07-13-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz451 View Post

My question is what will happen to the market when this happens - my uneducated guess is getting back to a normal amount of inventory and prices perhaps slipping 5% or so but if someone else has theories, or facts, please share...
If investors leave the market, it will probably open the way for more of the mortgage buyers to fill the void. With the multiple offers involved today, there are many buyers who just can't compete, because the cash buyers are winning the bids.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:06 PM

113 posts, read 159,994 times
Bill:

A quick question about the graph. How do they know the buyers are landlords? If they assume that buyers who's principal address is somewhere else are buying to rent out the home, then they are missing those people who are still buying homes (mostly condos I suspect) as vacation properties/future retirement homes.
While it might be safe to call those folks "investors", it would certainly be wrong to call them "landlords"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area