Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 09:33 AM

46 posts, read 65,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
This is not investment advice; it's only a personal opinion.
I would not buy a new build expecting a gain within a few years. One is paying top dollar for all the additional amenities, plus the draperies, rear yard, etc so the price adds up. If I were buying a new build it would be strictly for the purpose of having my choice of floor plan that we would enjoy for 10+years, and hope that the price would keep up with inflation.

If I were to buy a home expecting to make a profit on a sale I would buy a home at a discount to market that needs updating and repairs. I would make those updates and repairs as I lived in the home so as to increase the value. Since one cannot recover the actual cost of the updates, the home has to be purchased at a market discount in order to make a profit over a few years; assuming the market increases.

Our primary residences have always been about living in them; not an investment. We were in the first one for 7 years; the second for 34 years, and have been in our current home for 8 years. We were fortunate in that the first two homes appreciated considerably, but the current home value is still slightly less than what we paid.

My opinion is to treat the primary residence as a residence only, and if one wants an investment property, buy a separate house as a rental, even if the cash flow doesn't quite cover the mortgage, it will have a tax write off, plus the appreciation over time.
Careful with the tax suggestions. There's a lot more to rental income that determines if you actually end up with a tax write off

I agree with everything else though! If you can buy at a discount and upgrade the home (let's face it, most of the homes in the valley have crap builder grade everything that by now is all falling apart slowly) it's worth it. You will pay a massive premium for new construction in many cases. Just look at Windgate Ranch up in 85255.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 11:44 AM

357 posts, read 712,097 times
Metro home sales, prices increase in June, but at slower pace

Old 07-18-2012, 11:58 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Well, we're going to refinance this month, was going to go for a streamline (no appraisal) but I'm interested to see how much gain if anything the appraisal shows from when we bought 2 years ago. If it's good (hoping) it'll drop our payment a whole bunch. If it's not so good it'll save us just a bunch.
I'll have to let y'all know how it turns out.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:11 PM

188 posts, read 515,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
This is not investment advice; it's only a personal opinion.
I would not buy a new build expecting a gain within a few years. One is paying top dollar for all the additional amenities, plus the draperies, rear yard, etc so the price adds up. If I were buying a new build it would be strictly for the purpose of having my choice of floor plan that we would enjoy for 10+years, and hope that the price would keep up with inflation.

If I were to buy a home expecting to make a profit on a sale I would buy a home at a discount to market that needs updating and repairs. I would make those updates and repairs as I lived in the home so as to increase the value. Since one cannot recover the actual cost of the updates, the home has to be purchased at a market discount in order to make a profit over a few years; assuming the market increases.

Our primary residences have always been about living in them; not an investment. We were in the first one for 7 years; the second for 34 years, and have been in our current home for 8 years. We were fortunate in that the first two homes appreciated considerably, but the current home value is still slightly less than what we paid.

My opinion is to treat the primary residence as a residence only, and if one wants an investment property, buy a separate house as a rental, even if the cash flow doesn't quite cover the mortgage, it will have a tax write off, plus the appreciation over time.
Could not agree with you more. I bought my condo in this manner knowing full well that is was my primary residence and if I ever left the state (which I plan on doing), I could keep it as a winter home. Even though I'm still way underwater on the LTV on this property, prices are starting to come back up and I'm speeding up my payments in order to cover the loan. A second home that is paid off is a pretty nice thing (when it happens of course)

Old 07-18-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Well, we're going to refinance this month, was going to go for a streamline (no appraisal) but I'm interested to see how much gain if anything the appraisal shows from when we bought 2 years ago. If it's good (hoping) it'll drop our payment a whole bunch. If it's not so good it'll save us just a bunch.
I'll have to let y'all know how it turns out.
Good luck with the refinance. I'm undergoing one myself right now and it's taking forever. But I hear that the banks are actually getting them done even with the delays! I had an appraisal done just because the bank could not 'find a value' for my home... I don't even understand how that's possible since it has to be listed as taxable property in Maricopa County.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:35 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarichter View Post
Good luck with the refinance. I'm undergoing one myself right now and it's taking forever. But I hear that the banks are actually getting them done even with the delays! I had an appraisal done just because the bank could not 'find a value' for my home... I don't even understand how that's possible since it has to be listed as taxable property in Maricopa County.
Well thankfully the bank doing the refi is the bank I currently have my house with (and a few other loans) and is a smaller "community" bank so answers come surprisingly fast.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Well thankfully the bank doing the refi is the bank I currently have my house with (and a few other loans) and is a smaller "community" bank so answers come surprisingly fast.
Funny, I actually tried to refinance through my credit union and their investors wouldn't agree to my huge LTV even with the expansion of the new government program. However, my current bank (big world bank) is refinancing me so I guess i can't complain!

Old 07-19-2012, 09:10 AM

344 posts, read 813,159 times
Thursdays at 10 pm, Discovery.

Property Wars: Phoenix Auction Properties : Video : Discovery Channel

Old 07-20-2012, 08:51 AM

211 posts, read 544,208 times
I agree with everything else though! If you can buy at a discount and upgrade the home (let's face it, most of the homes in the valley have crap builder grade everything that by now is all falling apart slowly) it's worth it. You will pay a massive premium for new construction in many cases. Just look at Windgate Ranch up in 85255.[/quote]

new builds are debatable, it depends on area and square footage..Many new builds right now are a great deal and you just need to research the builder

Old 07-20-2012, 09:20 AM

46 posts, read 65,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunni2012 View Post
I agree with everything else though! If you can buy at a discount and upgrade the home (let's face it, most of the homes in the valley have crap builder grade everything that by now is all falling apart slowly) it's worth it. You will pay a massive premium for new construction in many cases. Just look at Windgate Ranch up in 85255.

new builds are debatable, it depends on area and square footage..Many new builds right now are a great deal and you just need to research the builder[/quote]

Yep. Depends on the builder and I entirely agree. But there's a lot of them that aren't -- I would assume more cases than not, especially in N Scottsdale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area