Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 01:40 AM

10 posts, read 15,520 times

Advertisements

There are tons of golf courses all over the valley, so you should be fine wherever really. I'm sure many areas of Scottsdale would work well, but I am not very familiar with specifics there. North Scottsdale seems to be pretty new and upscale, plus some of the world-class golf courses are there.

I am in the Ocotillo area of Chandler, which is also a newer area with lots of natural beauty (and surrounded by a 27 hole golf course with water and greenery everywhere). Safe area and pretty spread out. Also couldn't have easier access to the Chandler Fashion Mall.

Check out Waterside at Ocotillo, it's a Mark Taylor complex. Don't rule out renting a townhome or house if you really care about privacy and noise. Sharing fewer walls with others is your best chance to avoid bad neighbors. But your best bet is to just drive around, there are soooooo many choices it will make your head spin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 01:51 AM

7 posts, read 82,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeykong View Post
There are tons of golf courses all over the valley, so you should be fine wherever really. I'm sure many areas of Scottsdale would work well, but I am not very familiar with specifics there. North Scottsdale seems to be pretty new and upscale, plus some of the world-class golf courses are there.

I am in the Ocotillo area of Chandler, which is also a newer area with lots of natural beauty (and surrounded by a 27 hole golf course with water and greenery everywhere). Safe area and pretty spread out. Also couldn't have easier access to the Chandler Fashion Mall.

Check out Waterside at Ocotillo, it's a Mark Taylor complex. Don't rule out renting a townhome or house if you really care about privacy and noise. Sharing fewer walls with others is your best chance to avoid bad neighbors. But your best bet is to just drive around, there are soooooo many choices it will make your head spin.
Ill definitely check that out, being close to a Huge Mall is a major plus for my wife as she works retail management. And it being newer is also another huge bonus.

Thanks

Old 07-01-2012, 10:22 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,168,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISLIDEI View Post
Anyone know about the Alexan at Frank Lloyd Wright?

Got good reviews, pretty cheap, big, 3 floor, own garage.

Is it in a good location?
Looks nice. That would be a good area. It's real close to lots of shopping at the Scottsdale Quarter, however it's a pretty busy area!

I rented a three story, with 2 car tandem garage, 2 bedroom apt for a few years ON a golf course for a few years. They went condo and we moved, but they are Villas at Stonecreek. Beautiful area in NE Phoenix (right next to Scottsdale). A block away from Paradise Valley Mall. Just a suggestion.

Like I said there are SO many! Way too many to count.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:41 AM

701 posts, read 1,097,247 times
I live across the street from this complex:

http://www.apartmentguide.com/apartm...Springs/16751/

I have never been inside, but the neighborhood is extremely quiet, and the grounds are really well-maintained. It's close to both Arizona Mills Mall and Tempe Marketplace. It says 1 BRs are $640. The only bad thing about this neighborhood is a strange lack of grocery stores.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:40 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,503,358 times
$1,000.00 per month might be the minimum asking price for a resort-styled apartment, not certain of this but it would be my guess.

Utility rates are fairly reasonable but not cheap.

I think summertime electric bills are the biggest expenses because of the necessity of air-conditioning. Rates vary depending on size of the dwelling and how much energy you use but several hundred a month isn't unusual this time of year.

Don't forget car expenses. You drive just about everywhere in and around Phoenix so factor in the cost of gasoline, and replacement of batteries, hoses, and tires frequently, they don't hold up in the heat too well.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:20 PM

4 posts, read 6,107 times
One thing about the Phoenix area. You absolutely Get what you pay for. If you are looking for something upscale with professional neighbors I'd suggest either North Scottsdale, Fountain Hills, or Paradise Valley. I'm also from the Chicago area originally-- Lake Forest-- a North Suburb. Phoenix seems to have an abundance of places that 2-4 guys (or gals) rent an apartment that is otherwise beyond their means... $1000 + a month is beyond the average renters budget, but if 2,3,4 people are dividing up the rent, then it works for them. Problem is that generally speaking these people have no consideration for their neighbors and are doing the "$20-30K Scottsdale millionaire wanna-be" thing. You REALLY need to visit the property both during regular daylight hours and at night to see if it's a "party" place full of Twenty-somethings" or older people that want to re-live their lost youth-- and there's no shortage of those in AZ.
As far as Alexan Frank Lloyd Wright.... I looked into it... seemed a little small for the money. Also things like not being able to get Cox Communications internet--- I have a work-at-home job and Qwest (the provider for Alexan) is no where near as good. I looked at about a dozen "upscale" apartments and signed with Glen Eagles. I got a 1 Br, w/ a loft/office space 1 & 1/2 Bath townhouse w/attached garage for around $1100 about 970 sq. ft., right on TPC Golf Course. I'm single so I don't need a 2 br. if there is someplace for my home office-- and this plan has a loft. I read some unflattering reviews on Apartment Ratings and have been to the property about 4-5 times and did drive thru's and found it to be very quiet.
Among the nicer properties I saw-- without college kids/"knuckleheads" ---- that are more upscale are:
Desert Club.
The Ridge at Troon North
Dakota at McDowell Ranch
Glen Eagles
Grey Hawk (my second choice----INCREDIBLE Clubhouse)
Montierra

I'd strongly recommend that you plan to spend a minimum of $1050/month for rent for a 1 br---$1200 for a 2/br to find what you're looking for. Again, there are plenty of "nice looking" places for far less money, but you will find out after you move in that you have knuckleheads or college kids for neighbors.
Again, I cannot emphasize enough: With apartments/housing in the Phoenix area: YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area