Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2012, 10:48 AM

9 posts, read 21,935 times

Advertisements

So, my family and I will be moving to the Phoenix area in around 2 to 3 months. I have been researching for what seems like forever, but I'm looking to get specific here. Anyway, my wife and I are in our mid 20s. We also have three kids, two of them are elementary age. Being young and having a gaggle of kids, our priorities are probably different than most 20 somethings. Were fine with that, and have accepted that most of our "cool" is gone, lol. My background is in the Army, and I am currently in warehousing and I'm open to manufacturing and the likes for now until I go to school. My wife works in sales and customer service, usually the telemarketer style. We just want to know what is a good area for :

1) 20 somethings with 3 kids
2) An area with other young families, 20 and 30 somethings, parks/areas to interact
3) An area where the neighbors arent doctors and lawyers, and where they arent degenerates, and alcoholic meth tweekers either. We just want to feel in our element (sort of).
4) Decent schools with diversity, but without too much diversity.
5) Somewhere I wont get shot getting my mail or a gallon of milk. (can happen anywhere I guess)
6) Stuff close by and not having to drive EVERYWHERE. Would love to use that light rail, but it doesn't look too extensive. Buss service, or walkability would be nice.
7) Rent under $1000, but prefer around $850 $900 (been leaning toward townhouses, but an apartment would work also)
8)Close to a college or university (close as in 10 to 20 min)

My wife and I discuss Phoenix nightly. First Phoenix or Las Vegas. Then AZ vz. NM. Then which area. Then finally, when we couldn't even decide which side of the valley would be best for us, here I am. I appreciate all the help and I look forward to not having to drag my kids around in the snow, and my wife's new tan.

Last edited by desertORbust; 07-13-2012 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: edit list
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 11:51 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,446,263 times
Well, I'm a bit biased, but start with Tempe. Good schools, good parks and rec department, good public transit including light rail, buses on major arterial streets, and neighborhood circulator buses in areas north of US 60. Tempe has a good level of diversity, largely due to the University. Chandler would be another option.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:31 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,611,587 times
Safest and best family areas are Gilbert and Surprise. With that said there are tons of great places in the valley. First find your job and look for a place to live close by.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:47 PM

344 posts, read 813,531 times
Phoenix is a large bedroom community, and most of it's suburban n' safe. Boredom (for some) is a bigger concern than shots or problems, in much of the city.

Make a list of the suggestions here that appeal, then visit each one a couple of times after arrival.

Take a look at Avondale/Goodyear. Arrowhead also.

I can imagine AZ-NM debates, as I did that before electing to come here. I visited Vegas also but wouldn't seriously consider it vis-a-vis AZ/NM.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:20 PM

582 posts, read 1,483,173 times
You really need to drive around and see different areas. Walk through a few malls and shopping centers. That is a good indicator of diversity in an area.

I was born and raised here, and have traveled all over. I am familiar with Sioux Falls where you live now, I work off an on in that area plus Watertown, Aberdeen SD, and parts of Minnesota and Iowa and have for 7-8 years.You're going from an area of about 230,000 in the census area of Sioux Falls, to one of 4.5 million, but Phoenix is like a grid if you look at a map. It is the easiest metro area to get around without getting lost in the country. It's not intimidating at all.

Tempe is a good more progressive and diverse town that of course is home to ASU. You don't have to be afraid to go to the store in too many areas here. With the budget you have, older part of Tempe may work for you. You may have to compromise a bit with a $900 budget. In other words get in an area that may not be "totally" ideal, more working class, but not gang infested either.

Laveen around 47th Ave south of Baseline may get you a small 3 bedroom newer home for that amount with parks and bike trails around. All the homes there were built in this decade. There are some isolated gangs in the area, but all over the Phoenix area you will find some gang activity.

Areas around 35th Ave between Greenway and 101 or north, I-17on the east and 59th Ave on the west. It's a little older, but working class and ok.

West Mesa by the Tempe border, between Dobson and Alma School, and Baseline and south towards the town of Chandler. 70's and 80's homes. Fairly diverse. Near Mesa Community College. Kind of like the area around Marion and 41st Street in Sioux Falls.

Mesa between Stapley and Greenfield Rd, and Baseline just north of Southern. Again older but it might work.

The Tolleson and Avondale area, between 91st Ave and Hwy 101, and Mc Dowell and Indian School Rd. Very diverse.

7th Ave to 16th Street, and Greenway Rd to Deer Valley Rd.

You'll find younger people in most areas of the metro area.

Once you get jobs and get a feel for the housing available to you in your budget closest to your jobs, you should be fine. After a while once you get settled, and your lease is up, you should be able to decide if you want to stay where you're at, or move elsewhere, since then you will be more familiar with Metro Phoenix.

Again I am listing "workable" areas for you within your budget, not upper middle class enclaves, although, upper income housing is within 5 minutes of every area I have listed.

Last edited by Goober13; 07-13-2012 at 06:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area