Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 01:35 PM

170 posts, read 369,756 times

Advertisements

In your area? My hubbie wants to live somewhere with great weather, I am originally from Southern CA and the desert so am familiar and happy with your weather. He will love it. Anyway, hubbie will be retiring from police force in a few years and we are looking for a warm weather area, but also somewhere where there are plenty of car, hotrod, drag racing enthusiats. He wants to open a hot rod shop, build and parts when he retires.

I am a legal secretary/exec. asst. so don't anticipate a difficult time finding a job in the Phoenix area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 01:53 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsclark View Post
In your area? My hubbie wants to live somewhere with great weather, I am originally from Southern CA and the desert so am familiar and happy with your weather. He will love it. Anyway, hubbie will be retiring from police force in a few years and we are looking for a warm weather area, but also somewhere where there are plenty of car, hotrod, drag racing enthusiats. He wants to open a hot rod shop, build and parts when he retires.

I am a legal secretary/exec. asst. so don't anticipate a difficult time finding a job in the Phoenix area.

I doubt this is what you had in mind, Mrsclark, but . . .

The Barrett-Jackson is every January in Scottsdale! As far as I'm concerned . . . A "MUST SEE" FOR ANY CAR NUT!

Old 10-02-2007, 01:57 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,165,894 times
It's pretty big out here. My BF goes to the big car show every Saturday night in Scottsdale. It's at the Scottsdale Pavillions. There's also a smaller version in the NW valley at 83rd ave and Beardsley in Peoria. There are also much smaller scale shows throughout the valley, you just have to know someone who knows about it or belong to various car clubs. And as Bummer said, we also have Barrett Jackson here.

We have a lot of 'show car' car owners here, especially in North Scottsdale. The weather is great - no worries of rust!

Old 10-02-2007, 01:59 PM

No, that is the Kind of info I am looking for! We watch that on TV. I didnt realize it came there! Awesome. Also, interested in the more realistic shows though! If you know what I mean!

Old 10-02-2007, 02:02 PM

Yep, that is the great thing about the desert, no rust! How about wind storms and sand blasting though?

What we are also looking into would be to donate the chasis and body and other parts to local high school automotive classes and help teach them to build hotrods, and then later raffle the cars off, such as at homecoming. Though, these days, not all schools have automotive courses anymore! Know of any of the high schools in the area that do?

Old 10-02-2007, 02:14 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,165,894 times
DUST is a thing that we deal with. Ugh! Keep your cars garaged and it will help, but you will still have a dusty car.

I'm sure there are schools that have automotive. You can probably google them.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:23 PM

86 posts, read 302,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsclark View Post
Yep, that is the great thing about the desert, no rust! How about wind storms and sand blasting though?

What we are also looking into would be to donate the chasis and body and other parts to local high school automotive classes and help teach them to build hotrods, and then later raffle the cars off, such as at homecoming. Though, these days, not all schools have automotive courses anymore! Know of any of the high schools in the area that do?

There are several high schools that still have automotive classes. There are a few in the Deer Valley Unified School District as well as the Peoria Unified School District. Also, I believe that UTI has hot rod building courses, but they are older kids. Another car show is the one held every January at the Civic Plaza in down town, it is called the World of Wheels. Also the Good Guys Car Show comes to Scottsdale in November. There are also MANY swap meets held all over town. There is also several car shows held in Prescott at the Town Square. Hope this helps and welcome to AZ

Old 10-02-2007, 06:22 PM

6 posts, read 27,807 times
Definitely good. I go to the same above mentioned car show at Scottsdale Pavillions! The weather here is better for old cars, no salt in the road, no snow, little rain all equal little to no rust. There are tons of old cars on the road all the time - including my Camaro and soon to include my boyfriend's 1969 Mach 1. I believe Barrett-Jackson also has a year round dealership on Scottsdale Rd near McDowell in south Scottsdale or around there if the annual event's $60 admission charge is as cringe worthy to you as it is to us. A restoration shop would have competition but if you got your name out with good advertising it could certainly do well.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:23 PM

6 posts, read 27,807 times
Oh, and there's bracket racing at FireBird raceway Firebird International Raceway - A Track For All Reasons

Old 10-02-2007, 06:34 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
As Sablebaby mentioned there is a popular hotrod meeting place at the Pavillions in Scottsdale and one in NW Phoenix. As Bummer mentioned, the Barret Jackson Auction in Scottsdale in January.
Actually there are 3 Auto Auctions held in the valley every January-Feb period. Barret Jackson being one of the largest in the world is, according to their latest news release, going to downsize their auction here as it it too big and takes too long to auction off vehicles. They are going to farm out cars to their Las Vegas venue that is held after the Scottsdale auction is over.
Quite a few high schools have auto depts. There are many hotrod clubs, antique car clubs, sportscar clubs etal in the valley. There are low rider and high rider clubs. There are several car events during the year. Drag racing is big just north of Phoenix at the Firebird International Raceway. Then there is the Phoenix International Raceway west of town that has top racing IRL races.
Any of these venues would be great places to network your skills, meet enthusiasts, pass out your card or flyer and get off to a booming business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area