Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 12:12 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,304,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
So, its 112 degrees out on the field. They are all suited up with helmets, pads, etc. They are doing exercises, running, and other stuff getting ready for Fall football. Isn't this dangerous? Why do high school coaches think this is ok? I see them at Hamilton in Chandler, and I think, as usual, this is nuts. JMHO
You think that's bad, try training in the South where it's 95 degree plus 70% humidity.

Humidity impairs your body's ability to cool itself which is why heat stroke related fatalities most often occur in the South. It may be hot here but it is dry and with proper hydration and conditioning, these athletes can train in this weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodiman View Post
Cold is easy. Playing in the heat sucks! Green Bay isn't that cold when you have played in Canada. Once you start running you don't even feel the cold and you can't pass out from the cold either. Is there a temperature where the practices are called off due to heat?
I've played in both, cold is far worse. Ask any kids from Oklahoma and Kansas which is worse. During their summers, it's hot and humid, during their winter games, it's cold and icy. The heat is annoying but with proper hydration it is tolerable. What isn't tolerable is icy hail falling through your ear hole and the back of your neck on a November afternoon practice with freezing wind blowing in your face. In the cold, the hits hurt far worse. You can suffer from frost bite if areas of your body aren't covered. You absolutely can pass out from cold when your airways constrict from the severe cold and you become hypoxic. There is a reason why they say warm weather teams can't handle the cold during the playoffs and are at a distinct disadvantage in the playoffs whereas the opposite isn't true. There is a reason why football players prefer warm weather and why warm weather universities have higher rated draft classes because the best players in the country prefer to play in warm weather versus the cold. You don't hear people saying they want to play for Green Bay due to its weather but you routinely hear players saying they would prefer to play for Arizona (even when they were at Sundevil) due to the weather.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 08-09-2012 at 12:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 08:04 AM

205 posts, read 296,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
You think that's bad, try training in the South where it's 95 degree plus 70% humidity.

Humidity impairs your body's ability to cool itself which is why heat stroke related fatalities most often occur in the South. It may be hot here but it is dry and with proper hydration and conditioning, these athletes can train in this weather.

I've played in both, cold is far worse. Ask any kids from Oklahoma and Kansas which is worse. During their summers, it's hot and humid, during their winter games, it's cold and icy. The heat is annoying but with proper hydration it is tolerable. What isn't tolerable is icy hail falling through your ear hole and the back of your neck on a November afternoon practice with freezing wind blowing in your face. In the cold, the hits hurt far worse. You can suffer from frost bite if areas of your body aren't covered. You absolutely can pass out from cold when your airways constrict from the severe cold and you become hypoxic. There is a reason why they say warm weather teams can't handle the cold during the playoffs and are at a distinct disadvantage in the playoffs whereas the opposite isn't true. There is a reason why football players prefer warm weather and why warm weather universities have higher rated draft classes because the best players in the country prefer to play in warm weather versus the cold. You don't hear people saying they want to play for Green Bay due to its weather but you routinely hear players saying they would prefer to play for Arizona (even when they were at Sundevil) due to the weather.
Where I am from 85 is almost unbearable to play in. LOL. 32 degrees is considered HOT once we hit November but football season is almost done because you are playing in a foot of snow. I guess we just learn to tough it up. Nobody here passes out from the cold and I can assure you it's way colder than Green Bay. Frostbite...we just deal with it. If you ever hear about people wearing plastic bags on their feet, this is where it's done. It keeps your feet from getting wet when the snow gets in your cleats and melting thru your socks...and then freezing again. You make some good points though. I would rather play a game in the heat rather than the cold. I would prefer not to practise....AT ALL.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:38 PM

33 posts, read 78,984 times
Not just high school is practicing in this heat in full pads.....the "little guys" are too! My son's football organization is full tackle, 1st through 7th grade. As a mom, it worries me too, but hey....as a mom, what doesn't? (wink...)

Old 08-09-2012, 09:47 PM

7,184 posts, read 9,237,876 times
This is the beginning of football season. Young folks have been doing this here in Phoenix since they had football teams. On my way home I see the PCC football teams doing their practices.

They're not the only athletes I see on my way home. Also pass by a boxing gym. Looks like they don't have AC. The doors open and they have a big fan going. High school and college age kids are jogging up and down the sidewalk outside almost every afternoon.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:40 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Ahhh, to be young again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area