Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 07:58 PM

428 posts, read 5,886,222 times

Advertisements

Not looking to put anyone on blast or start an e-fight... But I've been ghosting some other threads and there seems to be a lot of tension with "Scottsdale". I get that affluent areas do have some "snobbish" reputation, but other affluent areas like PV, Biltmore, Arcadia, and so forth, I have not read a single negative comment on here...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 08:18 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,472,793 times
The other areas you mention, while also affluent, are virtually unknown outside of AZ. They don't get the national travel press as, other than the Biltmore itself, there are no high end resorts to compare with the numerous ones in Scottsdale. There are a number of people on this forum who see Scottsdale as full of only rich people or those who visit there pretending to be rich. What those people, and people elsewhere who see only the national image, don't recognize is that Scottsdale has a significant middle class and a lower/lower middle class population as well.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:20 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,575,429 times
I lived in Scottsdale for four years and never noticed snobbery. I think it's a myth. I no longer live in that area but live in southeast Phoenix.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:32 PM
F40

826 posts, read 858,883 times
Jelous. thats all

Old 08-11-2012, 08:48 PM

197 posts, read 454,531 times
Because people hate on Phoenix so much that they can't except the fact we have a rich suburb, and their city only has a middle and lower class.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:55 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,341,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stasi_crystals View Post
Because people hate on Phoenix so much that they can't except the fact we have a rich suburb, and their city only has a middle and lower class.
Name me a city that you think doesn't have a rich suburb. Every city I've ever been to has one or more rich suburbs AND a rich inner-city neighborhood.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:21 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,712,563 times
I lived in North Scottsdale for a couple of years- my experiences weren't necessarily "snobbish", but driving around town I experienced a lot of impatient & rude drivers, the main roads are crawling with cameras & on trips to the grocery store I had people cutting in line at the deli, even had people run over my toes with their carts.

I've travelled the country extensively & never experienced that level of tension & grumpiness anywhere else. It is subjective & no doubt unfair to paint *everyone* in a city with that brush, but if you get hand gestures from people on the expressway when you're doing five over the speed limit *and* the roads are crawling with cops, one can only assume the people giving you the hand gestures are really dumb, or they have too much money.

I recall stopping in at a gas station and seeing a woman get out of a new convertible Corvette, leaving it running with the top down and the radio cranked, while she went in to buy a drink. I don't even know what to call behavior like that, but it's not something I ever saw in Detroit.

After a couple years of living there, I decided it wasn't for me- and it amazes me how different living ten minutes down the road is. Depending on where & when you have to drive/work & shop there, your experiences could be completely different, but that doesn't make my experiences "wrong", nor does it mean I'm "jealous"..

Far from it.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:15 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,083,160 times
Maybe its the overabundance of plastic surgeons and expensive cars that give it a Rodeo Drive essence. Old movie stars love it in Scottsdale.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:34 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,777,002 times
I couldn't agree with zippyman more. I live in the midst of it all and quite frankly refuse to go to some places because the people are just so blah. Literally NO personality besides acting stuck up. Go to desert ridge which is only 10 mins away and people are completely different. I dont know how it is even possible to have such different people within a few miles. It's like okay you have money but so do people all across the country in various places and they do not act like stuck up snots.

Jealously is the last word I'd use considering I live here. I do not aspire to ever act like I'm better than anyone.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:51 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,423,447 times
The very word "Scottsdale", just sounds snobbish. I recently moved here from The Woodlands, TX (Houston suburb) and there was oodles of money there and they seemed much friendlier. I can always tell if an area is friendly by how nice the retail workers are...they seem a little uppity here....it's puzzling and I always have to bite my tongue when I really want to say, "hey you're working here and I'm shopping here - don't get uppity on me".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area