Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 06:23 PM

44,651 posts, read 61,691,885 times

Advertisements

One of the more interesting aspects of this case is why did the husband call 70 minutes after her death to warn local authorities of her mental situation? Very suspicious action I believe.
And I agree with Bummer, we are responsible for our own actions. The police are here to protect the public, not baby sitters. How do you know someone is going to take their life in a situation like this. The police had no clue to her medical records, she just was acting up in public and scaring other people.
Also when the husband came to claim her body, was that his girlfriend who accompanied him.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:27 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,491,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by askme View Post
It was absolutely unbelievable to hear that news this week. Shocking! Any comments?
how could you ruin a rich country in 7 years?
same way gota be very very crazy.
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 10-08-2007, 07:03 PM

788 posts, read 2,111,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
how could you ruin a rich country in 7 years?
same way gota be very very crazy.
stephen s
san diego ca
Lol! Good call!

Old 10-08-2007, 07:21 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,725,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Also when the husband came to claim her body, was that his girlfriend who accompanied him.
WOW, Nitram . . . glad to know I'm not the only "suspicious" one? ! ! ! !

and, by the way, THANKS!

Old 10-08-2007, 07:56 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,649,543 times
Of course the facts are not all known yet, but I believe this airport committed a huge faux pas by leaving this obviously mentally imbalanced woman alone. Bottom line: somebody's wife, mother, and daughter is dead without explanation; she was alive walking into the airport, and died on their (airport) watch; she is from a prominent family, no doubt they have money, and already have filed a lawsuit --as anyone with an unexplained dead family member would. It doesn't matter that she was an alcoholic, something set her off and out of control, and she died in the airport ALONE!! Very bad indeed for all involved. And I understand this particular airport has had problems in the past with how they deal with the public.

I personally hate to be in airports, refuse to fly myself, and is humiliating what some people are subjected to, seemingly at the whim of any one of these agents. I do believe there is abuse of power by TSA agents, mostly uneducated people given a low salary for what they do. A friend of mine had his tiny tweezers taken away, found in his little carryon duffel bag by a squad of TSA agents. Guess this pale, white haired, very well dressed elderly man was going to do someone in on the plane with those damn tweezers! Has gotten to the point of extreme absurdity. But am sure they were thrilled to have that power to take away something from a helpless person.

So I hope her family wins this one, to set a precedent that we the public refuse to be mistreated any longer. And maybe airports will think twice about their misdeeds and carelessness. Am sure this incident will put in place some kind of medical team at the airports from now on.

I know the big argument, safety first. And I agree. But then train these agents properly and thoroughly, to treat everyone with respect at all times.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:10 PM

788 posts, read 2,111,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
This airport committed a huge faux pas by leaving this obviously mentally imbalanced woman alone. Bottom line: somebody's wife, mother, and daughter is dead without explanation; she was alive walking into the airport, and died on their (airport) watch; she is from a prominent family, no doubt they have money, and already have filed a lawsuit --as anyone with an unexplained dead family member would. It doesn't matter that she was an alcoholic, something set her off and out of control, and she died in the airport ALONE!! Very bad indeed for all involved. And I understand this particular airport has had problems in the past with how they deal with the public.

I personally hate to be in airports, refuse to fly myself, and is humiliating what some people are subjected to, seemingly at the whim of any one of these agents. I do believe there is abuse of power by TSA agents, mostly uneducated people given a low salary for what they do. A friend of mine had his tiny tweezers taken away, found in his little carryon duffel bag by a squad of TSA agents. Guess this pale, white haired, very well dressed elderly man was going to do someone in on the plane with those damn tweezers! Has gotten to the point of extreme absurdity. But am sure they were thrilled to have that power to take away something from a helpless person.

So I hope her family wins this one, to set a precedent that we the public refuse to be mistreated any longer. And maybe airports will think twice about their misdeeds and carelessness. Am sure this incident will put in place some kind of medical team at the airports from now on.

I know the big argument, safety first. And I agree. But then train these agents properly and thoroughly, to treat everyone with respect at all times.
Ok, first, I've known a few TSA agents over the years, and I have to tell you that they are certainly not uneducated and they are paid pretty well.

Second, what items can and can't be carried onto a plane are clearly posted before entering the search area. If people choose not to read the signs and still proceed, there is no reason that they should be upset about being searched. There are also signs indicating to take off shoes and that a person's body may be searched. If someone has issue with this, they can choose to turn around and find another mode of transportation. Flying is a luxury, not a right, and if people choose this method of transportation, they must abide by rules which are posted. It doesn't matter how humiliated the person feels.

Third, TSA agents are hired and trained by the federal government. You might want to take issue with the agency and/or congress if being searched at the airport is humiliating, in your opinion. TSA agents are trained to look for anything which is not on the approved list of items to carry onto a plane.

Fourth, I would much rather be searched, knowing that if they're searching me that someone else who may have ill intent may also be searched, that's ok with me. I'd rather put up with a few minutes of embarrassment than lose my life in a plane crash. I don't care how un-PC it is to search people. I value my life. If we get lax with security again, we're going to have another security catastrophy.

Fifth, police officers are not psychiatrists, and Sky Harbor is a large airport. Cops simply don't have the time or resources to be babysitting people who pitch fits just because there is a minute possibility that this person might kill themselves. If someone hangs themselves in prison, should the prison be blamed? I don't see why law enforcement should be responsible for individuals' actions. They are responsible for keeping the peace in public, and if someone is a menace to that peace, the cops are responsible for removing that person from the public place. That's the end of their responsibility.

And, this lady killed herself in the space of about 5 minutes. How could the cops have reasonably been able to prevent that?

Old 10-08-2007, 08:24 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,649,543 times
You make good points. We will have to see how this plays out. Will there be an "inquest"? What did the autopsy show? Don't really yet have a sense of what the public as a whole "feels" about this issue, or maybe noone except those in Phoenix are concerned? Does anyone know really how she died? Was it asphyxia, strangulation, heart attack? So can't answer the questions, except that if someone was there with her, maybe it could have been prevented. Too many unknowns yet.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:32 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,288,696 times
Quote:
Of course the facts are not all known yet, but I believe this airport committed a huge faux pas by leaving this obviously mentally imbalanced woman alone. Bottom line: somebody's wife, mother, and daughter is dead without explanation; she was alive walking into the airport, and died on their (airport) watch; she is from a prominent family, no doubt they have money, and already have filed a lawsuit --as anyone with an unexplained dead family member would. It doesn't matter that she was an alcoholic, something set her off and out of control, and she died in the airport ALONE!! Very bad indeed for all involved. And I understand this particular airport has had problems in the past with how they deal with the public.
The "airport" did not leave her alone. Phoenix PD did - and, it actually was standard protocol - and, it was literally for a matter of minutes - 4 I believe

Quote:
I personally hate to be in airports, refuse to fly myself, and is humiliating what some people are subjected to, seemingly at the whim of any one of these agents. I do believe there is abuse of power by TSA agents, mostly uneducated people given a low salary for what they do.

TSA agents WERE NOT INVOLVED in this situation - she did not have to go through security at Sky Harbor

The parties involved were: The deceased. 2 Gate agents (who really worked to try to calm her. Another passenger in the terminal - who the deceased pounded on. And 3 Phoenix PD officers - who also tried to calm her.

The deceased ran through the terminal yelling, screaming and hitting people.

As an aside: the head of a similar treatment facility she was going to said in an interview today on the radio that their recommendation is that when a person is flying to a treatment facility AND the person is making connections (changing planes) that someone ACCOMPANY the patient.

Therein lies the BIGGEST QUESTION!!! Why was someone not traveling with her?

Old 10-08-2007, 09:33 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,288,696 times
Quote:
Will there be an "inquest"? What did the autopsy show?
No inquest. VERY uncommon in Arizona

Autopsy results should be released in about a week

Old 10-08-2007, 09:41 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,654,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by askme View Post
It was absolutely unbelievable to hear that news this week. Shocking! Any comments?
I am in a water exercise class. When we do one of the over the head and hold your elbow type exercises, it causes me to choke and I have to adjust my arm a little to keep breathing. I can see where a person trying to get the handcuffs over ones head might cause this position and with the arms handcuffed that person would not have the choice to move the arms a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area