Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 04:58 PM

2 posts, read 1,795 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a major city for a CS PhD program. I'd like to start my own computer programming business while in school. How is Phoenix's entrepreneurial spirit compared to other hot beds like california and boston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 11:38 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan2048 View Post
I'm looking for a major city for a CS PhD program. I'd like to start my own computer programming business while in school. How is Phoenix's entrepreneurial spirit compared to other hot beds like california and boston?
The opportunities are here and in fact better because of our tax system compared to California in addition to much lower cost of living. This is a great place for a startup. The reason why startups occur in California is due to easy access to venture capital (Lots of venture capital firms) and talent (lots of people in the industry to hire from and easy to steal employees from rival or similar themed companies). However, I think you can easily recruit talent to the Valley. A lot of people would love to live in Phoenix if the right opportunity presented itself and would move. And you would be wined and dined and catered to more here than California and Boston as the Valley is hungry for startups and emerging businesses. T

he difference is this: In California and Boston, you are just another guy with a start-up, in Arizona, you will likely be featured in the Arizona Republic in the money section and you will have people knocking on the door wanting to be a part of the next great tech start-up. If you do so, my advice would be to establish yourself in Chandler near the Price/202 region; eBay is there already and that area is where a lot of tech companies are emerging

Old 08-15-2012, 12:39 AM

391 posts, read 840,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan2048 View Post
You will find software companies, in North Scottsdale, off of the 101 by raintree. It's a variety of industries, software wise. Medical, web, financial, and even a game company is up there. If you end up starting, I would enjoy a follow up post, as I have a similar interest in automation solutions and of course, gaming.

I will have to agree with azriverfan's post about California.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:14 PM

701 posts, read 1,097,074 times
Probably excellent. There are a lot of tech entrepreneur groups on meetup.com. I went to a meeting last night and was really surprised at how active it is here.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:03 AM

50 posts, read 83,719 times
lol, no.

Is Phoenix the Next Silicon Valley? - Slashdot

Old 08-19-2012, 04:15 AM

2 posts, read 1,795 times
Thanks for the info. I'll put Phoenix on my list. #2 after cali

Old 08-19-2012, 04:54 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,779,340 times
There is almost no business as portable as computer programming. If you need affordable office space; the Valley has it. It also has a much more favorable business climate than Boston or SJ/SF. If you're a good programmer and have an innovative program; I really don't see a Ph.d. helping you out much. Can't recall the last time I heard one of the big people in the business being referred to as Dr.____, because I think very few have them. A lot of them went to top undergraduate schools, and some dropped out.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:33 AM

1,942 posts, read 4,570,002 times
I'm a software engineer (27 years in the business) and am bullish on tech in the Phoenix area. The high tech corridor in Chandler, Tempe, and Gilbert is exciting - particularly with Intel's frenzied expansion. I also second the opinion of Kremit, the north Scottsdale area is another locale for software.

Silicon Valley, even with high taxes is a big draw because of the proximity to Stanford, Berkeley, and UC Santa Cruz and because of the moderate climate. However Arizona corporate taxes and capital gains taxes are going to be cut significantly soon (signed in by Jan Brewer a few months ago) and Arizona's going to be even more attractive. Not only that, but Arizona's ledger is in far better fiscal shape than California's. Due to the momentum and reputation of Silicon Valley, it still will be a couple of decades before the tech center of gravity moves into the red states.

ASU has a great reputation. It also has its ASU Innovation Center in Chandler (here is its link https://technology.asu.edu/news/7899...-host-techshop ). Also UA (Tucson) has degree programs in Chandler (currently not in tech yet).

With sunshine, higher education, business-friendly conditions I think technological firms in the Phoenix area will grow at a faster rate than in California.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:07 PM

391 posts, read 840,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
However Arizona corporate taxes and capital gains taxes are going to be cut significantly soon (signed in by Jan Brewer a few months ago) and Arizona's going to be even more attractive.

With sunshine, higher education, business-friendly conditions I think technological firms in the Phoenix area will grow at a faster rate than in California.
I am going to start making this warning for now on. I am not trolling.

How will corporate tax cuts and capital gain tax cuts help a small business of 15 people? How are Arizona universities attractive, when the state continues to shift money from education to the government entity itself?

Old 08-19-2012, 08:13 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,570,002 times
Small businesses typically incorporate themselves. As for capital gain taxes, those that go public sell stock. Some have private stock (not public). Engineers typically buy stock. So do CEOs. In my case I currently work in California. If I sell my stock I will be taxed up to 10% (highest tax rate). In Arizona if I sell it's going to be under 4%. As an engineer buying in the employee stock purchase plan, I'd rather sell my long term gains in Arizona than in California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area