Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 10:08 AM

3,825 posts, read 9,490,976 times

Advertisements

At this point the best beer selection up on this side of town is the BevMo on Happy Valley Road. So I guess I will just have to stock up and fill my fridge if I want some decent craft brew. Went to WinCo and Fry's and their counterparts in Idaho have twice the beer selection than here in Phoenix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 10:12 AM

1,775 posts, read 6,360,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
At this point the best beer selection up on this side of town is the BevMo on Happy Valley Road. So I guess I will just have to stock up and fill my fridge if I want some decent craft brew. Went to WinCo and Fry's and their counterparts in Idaho have twice the beer selection than here in Phoenix.
Total Wine in Desert Ridge absolutely crushes BevMo in selection and price. It's not even a contest.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
I have yet to come across a place in North Phoenix (or what I think of as north) with a beer selection that impresses me.
Ditto. What passes for quality beer here is an insult to real beer. Blue Moon, Hoegarden, Sams? C'mon! The guys at Total Wine told me there's a place in Old Town Scottsdale that serves Jever on tap, but I can't remember the name. I recently toured the Pilsner Urquell and Budvar breweries in the Czech Republic and just can't stand to drink what people call beer here anymore. You can buy the good foreign stuff in some stores, but very few restaurants and bars serve it. Oh, I did get a great Pilsner Urquell draft at Cold Beer and Cheeseburgers in Grayhawk two weeks ago. Total Wine recently started carrying Stiegl and Koenig Pilsner and they've had Radeberger (super fine beer from the former E. Germany) and Krombacher for about a year now. When I see Veltins and Villacher show up here, I'll stop dreaming of moving back to the Fatherland.

BTW, Gordon Biersch serves their own Maerzen beer on tap and it's pretty close to the real thing. I think the rest of their beer sucks, but the Maerzen is quality stuff (not the bottles you see in stores).

Old 08-16-2012, 12:43 PM

603 posts, read 947,079 times
I hate even mentioning this since it's a chain, but Yardhouse has one of the best beer selections on tap that I've found out here. Happy hour prices are decent.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:21 PM

681 posts, read 1,562,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
When I see Veltins and Villacher show up here, I'll stop dreaming of moving back to the Fatherland.
One of my favorite beers of all times... haven't had it since my ex played hockey in Germany.....

Old 08-16-2012, 06:54 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,613,169 times
Total wine has a great selection.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:57 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,613,169 times
Quote:
Ditto. What passes for quality beer here is an insult to real beer. Blue Moon, Hoegarden, Sams? C'mon! The guys at Total Wine told me there's a place in Old Town Scottsdale that serves Jever on tap, but I can't remember the name. I recently toured the Pilsner Urquell and Budvar breweries in the Czech Republic and just can't stand to drink what people call beer here anymore. You can buy the good foreign stuff in some stores, but very few restaurants and bars serve it. Oh, I did get a great Pilsner Urquell draft at Cold Beer and Cheeseburgers in Grayhawk two weeks ago. Total Wine recently started carrying Stiegl and Koenig Pilsner and they've had Radeberger (super fine beer from the former E. Germany) and Krombacher for about a year now. When I see Veltins and Villacher show up here, I'll stop dreaming of moving back to the Fatherland.

BTW, Gordon Biersch serves their own Maerzen beer on tap and it's pretty close to the real thing. I think the rest of their beer sucks, but the Maerzen is quality stuff (not the bottles you see in stores).
The craft scene is exploding and many American brewers are now among the best in the world.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
The craft scene is exploding and many American brewers are now among the best in the world.
That fact that craft brews are "in" now is totally unrelated from the opinion that American brewers are among the best in the world. Cupcake stores are in fashion in the US too, but it doesn't mean our bakers compare with those in Europe. When I see American beers competing inside Europe with German and Czech brewers, I'll know we've improved some. I haven't tasted an American craft beer yet that didn't taste like a run of the mill IPA (i.e. bitter and gratuitously stong), even if they called it pilsener, lager, koelsch or hefeweizen. Ask anyone in Europe if they have the slighest modicum of respect for any American beer.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:52 PM

603 posts, read 947,079 times
Quote:
That fact that craft brews are "in" now is totally unrelated from the opinion that American brewers are among the best in the world. Cupcake stores are in fashion in the US too, but it doesn't mean our bakers compare with those in Europe. When I see American beers competing inside Europe with German and Czech brewers, I'll know we've improved some. I haven't tasted an American craft beer yet that didn't taste like a run of the mill IPA (i.e. bitter and gratuitously stong), even if they called it pilsener, lager, koelsch or hefeweizen. Ask anyone in Europe if they have the slighest modicum of respect for any American beer.
Yeah, but things are changing in Europe too now that InBev owns nearly every major brand.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:17 PM

It's true that quality and choice will suffer with consolidation. But the places that are truly known for their beers will have no problem surviving off the local market, as they've done for centuries. Most beers in Germany are only sold in the areas where they're brewed. They're so good and so loved locally, that they have no need or desire to ramp up a far-flung distribution network. Last time I was in France, the only non-French beer I saw (and I drink beer every day while in Europe) was Stella and I saw it for 30 Euros for a one litre stein in one place.

Now you can get Stella anywhere in the US and in plenty of places around Phoenix. It's my default beer in places that serve nothing better. I'm one of those guys who's bought a lot of Stella in restaurants in Phoenix, but only because it was the best of a bad selection. I wouldn't call myself a loyal customer, since I'd never buy it when something better is avail. I haven't been to Yardhouse in Desert Ridge yet, but have looked at their online beer selection a few times. Quantity does not equal quality. I remain unimpressed, but will pay a visit in person to see what else they have one of these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area