Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2012, 07:33 PM

2 posts, read 4,150 times

Advertisements

Ok here's the story, my next door neighbor said he needed some one to.drive a noble home. He said it did have proof insurance and up to date on the registration. So I said sure well when I was driving it we got pulled over for "failed to control speed to avoided collision. Come to find out that he did.t have insurance or a up to date registration so I got 3a tickes here's the codes. 28.701a, 28.4135c, 28.2532a. I just got the registration up to date so am im taken care of that fine since I got proof it was register? Since I didn't have proof of insurance if I got it now would that get me off the hook of paying that fine? And I don't even know what to do for the first ticket "failed to control speed to avoid collision any advice would be helpful. And I learnt my listen to make sure I see proof next time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 08:08 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,435,088 times
I'm not clear on the registration. You said "you just got the registration up to date" -- I thought it wasn't your vehicle? If the registration WAS NOT current at the time you got the citation, but it is now, I don't know what the court does with those. You can get the proof of insurance one dismissed if you bring to the court (and you can do it anytime before your hearing date) proof that the car was in fact insured at the time of the citation. If it wasn't (and I'm not clear on that either, from your post, since you said "if I got it now"-- do you mean insurance, or the proof that it was insured?) then you might not get it dismissed altogether.

If your neighbor didn't bother to keep the registration current, I'm betting the insurance wasn't either.

As far as the speeding, if there wasn't a collision, you are quoting the wrong part of the statute, perhaps. That's going to be harder to get out of. You could consider doing defensive driving school instead if you are eligible.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:50 PM

2 posts, read 4,150 times
It was his vehicle and both insurance and registration was expire at the time of the ticket.I wanted to know what I could do to clear up the tickets. Like say if I got the the registration reinstated would I have to still pay since I got it update? And as far as insurance since he didn't have none at that time im pretty much stuck with it unless I can get insurance put ion it before the court date? I hope I clear it up some

Old 09-20-2012, 04:46 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,860,991 times
Don't bother spending money to register or insure somebody else's vehicle AFTER THE FACT.

You're pretty much screwed. The best defense would be to go to court, and take your "friend" (the owner of the vehicle) with you. If he tells the truth - that he lied to you and told you the vehicle was legally registered and insured, the judge MAY show some leniency.

You telling the judge what happened isn't going to do squat. If the "friend" is unwilling to testify, it's going to be a tough and expensive lesson for you.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:11 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,921,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanguy45 View Post
It was his vehicle and both insurance and registration was expire at the time of the ticket.I wanted to know what I could do to clear up the tickets. Like say if I got the the registration reinstated would I have to still pay since I got it update? And as far as insurance since he didn't have none at that time im pretty much stuck with it unless I can get insurance put ion it before the court date? I hope I clear it up some
If the registration and insurance were expired at the time you were issued the tickets, renewing them now is not going to help you at all. I suggest you hire an attorney or try to work out a deal with the prosecutor. A judge is not going care about your story, just think about how many times they have to hear this same kind of excuse.

Did you also get into an accident? That is the part that would worry me the most, that has the potential to cost you a lot more than the tickets if you end up getting sued and paying for property damage and medical bills.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:24 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,229,323 times
As has been said, if the vehicle wasn't registered and didn't have insurance at the time then there is nothing you can do at this point. Let your next door neighbor worry about that as it is not your concern at this point.

The third violation "failed to control speed to avoid collision" obviously means you collided with something and if you didn't have insurance there is the possibility of someone coming after you for damages so I'd get a lawyer. I'm wondering why you didn't mention a collision in any of you posts as you can't get this citation unless you collided with something. You said you got pulled over, did you hit something and keep going? Seems like that would have came with a hit and run violation as well. Whole story is confusing to say the least.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:34 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,713,495 times
Call me a little suspicious on this one but . . .

Why would anyone ask a neighbor or friend if the registration was up to date when a simple "tag-check" would clearly and immediately reveal otherwise?

Also, why didn't the neighbor or alleged friend drive the vehicle? Did he know something illegal existed such as NO insurance or NO updated registration?

Far too many unanswered questions to make sense and updating the registration and insurance AFTER THE FACT makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. If that were the case then no one would bother to spend their money on such "trivia" until after they've been caught. RIDICULOUS.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:18 PM

453 posts, read 1,629,035 times
really, why would you pay for someone elses vehicle? Am I reading this right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area