Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 12:36 PM

3 posts, read 12,583 times

Advertisements

Just curious, how much is your average monthy bill for electricity and water in the Phoenix area? The house we're moving into is roughly 1,600 sq ft and I'm trying to get a ballpark idea or what utility costs will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 12:48 PM

357 posts, read 711,601 times
Hard to tell as there's so many factors that can go into your electricity bill but I'd say plan on summer months being between $200-300 for electricity. Water depends on your amount of grass and if you have a pool or not.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:57 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
You can call the utility company's and they can tell you what the average costs are plus if you give them your address the past costs of that residence.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:09 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
You can call the utility company's and they can tell you what the average costs are plus if you give them your address the past costs of that residence.
This is the best approach, with the caveat that you may see a difference based on what your thermostat setting will be compared to the unknown settings on the prior bills. Everything else will be pretty much the same no matter who is living there. There are TOO MANY variables to get reliable, useful information based on someone else's house that is the same size.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:09 PM

800 posts, read 1,910,168 times
There are a lot of factors indeed: How green the house itself is (CFL bulbs?), what you set your thermostat temp to, your pattern of usuage (keep your lights and fans off when not in the room?), who your providers are, whether you have gas (way cheaper than electric for cooking, hot water, and heating), whether you have a pool, etc.

My house and my next door neighbor's house are roughly the same size - about 2400 sft. My highest summer electricity bill was around $300 and theirs was $600. We have a pool and they don't, and we have a home business so are always home. But they have their HVAC units constantly running, leave their lights on all the time, keep their thermo set to 72, and I'm pretty sure they have the old inefficient light bulbs. We are conservative as much as possible and take advantage of time-of-use plans. Our water bills run $54-80/month, and gas is $20-$47 depending on time of year. (total bill). Our lowest electric bill was $93.02.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:16 PM

70 posts, read 209,494 times
Cool Water and Electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTBone View Post
Just curious, how much is your average monthy bill for electricity and water in the Phoenix area? The house we're moving into is roughly 1,600 sq ft and I'm trying to get a ballpark idea or what utility costs will be.
Depends on where you live!
In the west valley my electric bill avgs $177. per month. Highest was $4oo. for August and lowest was $89 for Jan.

Water we were just taken over by a different water company and my water bill almost doubled. I was paying $60. per Month now last 2 bills have been $120.

Pm. me and I'll tell you who my water co is and electric co.!

Yes I have a pool and we keep our air @ 78 daytime and 76 @ night. Our home is less than 2 years old about 3k sq ft. and is energy star rated! We also have added insulation in attic .......right now it's r38 and hopefully before next summer we will upgrade to r50!

Last edited by johnnyrotten54; 09-24-2012 at 03:19 PM.. Reason: added last 2 lines!

Old 09-24-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrotten54 View Post
Depends on where you live!
In the west valley my electric bill avgs $177. per month. Highest was $4oo. for August and lowest was $89 for Jan.

Water we were just taken over by a different water company and my water bill almost doubled. I was paying $60. per Month now last 2 bills have been $120.

Pm. me and I'll tell you who my water co is and electric co.!

Yes I have a pool and we keep our air @ 78 daytime and 76 @ night. Our home is less than 2 years old about 3k sq ft. and is energy star rated! We also have added insulation in attic .......right now it's r38 and hopefully before next summer we will upgrade to r50!
It doesn't depend that much on where you live, if you are talking Phoenix metro area, with either APS or SRP for electric (and which one you get depends on where the house is located, you can't choose to have one or the other). In more remote areas outside the main part of the Valley, there are other electric providers.

Water bills do seem to vary more, even between city water departments. If the water is coming from a private company, the variation can be even more.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:35 PM

70 posts, read 209,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
It doesn't depend that much on where you live, if you are talking Phoenix metro area, with either APS or SRP for electric (and which one you get depends on where the house is located, you can't choose to have one or the other). In more remote areas outside the main part of the Valley, there are other electric providers.

Water bills do seem to vary more, even between city water departments. If the water is coming from a private company, the variation can be even more.
Didn't know If I could name APS or not. Water co used to be Arizona American Water noe it's Epcor and all they did was raise the damn rates .....Double! Ok now I feel better!

Old 09-24-2012, 03:53 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
with either APS or SRP for electric (and which one you get depends on where the house is located, you can't choose to have one or the other).
Parts of Mesa (the area surrounding and including the downtown area) is neither served by APS nor SRP, but is served by the city's own utility. Other downtown areas in the valley are served by APS, while most suburban areas are served by SRP. I have heard that APS is more expensive than SRP. Not sure what are the rates are for the City of Mesa's own utility.

Not sure how our bills are since I don't pay them, however, I presume our biggest electricity user is probably the pool pump, which we have reduced the running time recently. Our AC system is a 14.5 SEER Carrier system, and our home was tested for Energy Star compliance by a third party.

Since we have gas heat, our winter electric bills are probably much lower, and this past winter, the furnace generally only ran early in the morning and was off most of the day with our thermostat setting, so our gas bills probably aren't too high. Our water heater is a 0.62 EF Bradford White gas unit, which is generally as efficient you can get with a gas storage tank unit without using power venting or automatic flue dampers.

Our winter water bills were very high since we were filling the pool, however, they are probably much lower now. We use a front-loading Samsung HE washer for our laundry.

Last edited by Pink Jazz; 09-24-2012 at 04:27 PM..

Old 09-24-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros 1337 View Post
Parts of Mesa (the area surrounding and including the downtown area) is neither served by APS nor SRP, but is served by the city's own utility. Other downtown areas in the valley are served by APS, while most suburban areas are served by SRP. I have heard that APS is more expensive than SRP. Not sure what are the rates are for the City of Mesa's own utility.
Thanks, I had forgotten about those Mesa areas. Since we don't know where the OP's house is, it may or may not matter. .

There's a general perception that SRP is somewhat cheaper than APS. With all the changes in pricing seasons, and other adjustments, and the different rate plans each has, I'm not sure how much difference there is now. You'd have to know the costs per kilowatt hour, and go from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area