Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2012, 12:11 AM

2 posts, read 3,038 times

Advertisements

Hello, in short I am diving into a deep end and moving to AZ from NYC; i am in my early 40's and leaving reasonably siccessful private practice in pursuit of better , more normal life for my little one and for a love of all what AZ has to offer, weather, open roads etc. I have spent enough time here to know that my familly will be more happy here. Caveat is I am not to eager to work for hospital or big group; on the other side, starting private practice in a new place, without one professional connection seem to be crazy!
Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 12:18 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
Well, if you don't mind a lot of patients over 65 you're in luck! Open an office around a retirement community, accept medicare and you'll be full in no time. Welcome to AZ.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:20 AM

1,707 posts, read 4,342,135 times
Consider opening up slightly out of town - I ll mention Casa Grande since thats my area of knowledge. We are a growing city (50K population full time) with a LARGE influx of winter visitors (population goes to about 75K) with a small (100 bed?) hospital but many specialty offices. We have a wide income range and diverse population so the medical needs and challenges will vary widely....

At present many of the physicians do part time offices from either the Phoenix or Tucson area so we are in need of a more full time presence.

All about 45 mins from downtown Phoenix and an hour from Tucson...

But if not CG, there are other outlying communities (but not too far from civilization) that require medical services....

Old 11-21-2012, 09:25 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
Consider opening up slightly out of town - I ll mention Casa Grande since thats my area of knowledge. We are a growing city (50K population full time) with a LARGE influx of winter visitors (population goes to about 75K) with a small (100 bed?) hospital but many specialty offices. We have a wide income range and diverse population so the medical needs and challenges will vary widely....

At present many of the physicians do part time offices from either the Phoenix or Tucson area so we are in need of a more full time presence.

All about 45 mins from downtown Phoenix and an hour from Tucson...

But if not CG, there are other outlying communities (but not too far from civilization) that require medical services....
Agree. The newer communities like Surprise and Goodyear as well are underserved medically and the certain growth going forward makes it a great place to start out. Queen Creek (far SE) area comes to mind as well.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:53 AM

3 posts, read 4,096 times
Here is my input....Surprise is growing leaps and bounds! Most of the physicians are in large groups, my personal preference is private practice and there are not very many in this area. Boswell hospital is the hospital of choice in this area (personal opinion...Del Web Hospital sux....have had bad experiences there). In this area you have a huge mix of seniors and the younger generations. Seems like most of the physicians are ending up on the west end of Surprise and out by the new 303 highway, but the area between Peoria, Sun City and Surprise (east end) seem to have allot less. Good luck!!

Old 11-28-2012, 02:14 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,987,444 times
I always recommend Anthem, so I'll stay true to form. I'm not qualified to comment on the particulars of starting a practice here (although as I type this I'm sitting in my doctors waiting room), but we moved here from the east coast in June and we love it. Most of the docs here seem to be in large groups, personally I'd welcome a private practice.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:34 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
I'm a cardiologist practicing in the Phoenix metropolitan area. You will hear a lot of advice as to where to practice but my advice is to form your own impression after living here for a year. You will find out quickly where the opportunities are. And with everything, there is give and take. Areas in demand offer their own challenges. You have to determine what style of practice you are seeking, what type of community you want to live in, what type of patients you want to see, how much time do you want to spend commuting to work, and how much you want to earn(how much you want to work). All of those factors will impact where you will practice. You have to live here for at least a year before you will know the Valley well enough to obtain the answers to these questions. I'm not trying to be evasive but offer the most sound advice I can. Don't become prejudiced and form opinions early until you live here and learn more about the Valley for yourself. I do recommend moving here and good luck with your move.

I would recommend joining a group or a hospital for at least 1-2 years before entertaining starting your own practice. Starting from scratch in a community you are unfamiliar with is career suicide. I wouldn't rule out joining a group. There are some groups that consist of physicians who own the group and offer true partnership (with a buy-in). You share call and collect what you earn. That is much better than joining a third party company that hires and salaries physicians.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 11-28-2012 at 06:48 PM..

Old 01-21-2013, 04:15 PM

2 posts, read 3,038 times
Thank you all for a replies. I am back in Phoenix and love it! I continue my quest to relocate to AZ and looking at different possibilities to start working here as neurologist. Any further advice , thoughts will be appreciated.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:46 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
Ooooooh ! We do need neurologists, so welcome and you will not be disappointed.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:55 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times
I used to hate taking my mom to the doctor here in Sun City because it looked like a bus terminal most of the time with people falling out the door. Very busy and we could use more doc's here. Welcome to AZ and enjoy!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area