Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2014, 07:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,116 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=+2][/SIZE]I'm a 21 year old male and currently live in Virginia but took a job transfer to Phoenix. I have been to the AZ before so I know the climate and love it, yes (even during mid July) :P. In VA I have a Chrysler 300c because it was a necessity but also it was a luxury in a since to have my car. that's why I chose to sale before moving. since I am going from my college apt there is nothing I am going to take with me on the move besides shipping my TV by UPS for a great comparable rate (Samsung 43 inch) shipping cost 94 dollars and also my Schwinn trail way bike. I am going to fly so packing a suitcase of clothes and moving with just that. my job will not be reimbursing so I am paying out of pocket for all expenses. so my questions are .. how much will my monthly rental budget of 800-900 a month get me. (I need to stay in near job is 48th st & bighorn ave. chandler area) I have never been to phoenix nor will be until the day I move and yes it does sound crazy to me but as my mum says "I'm 10 percent fearless and 90 percent bull-headed" so I am going all in. so since I cant see an apt in person how should I secure one? is it a safe idea to just get a "room for rent" off of craigslist. I would prefer to go into a room for rent since I wont have any furniture, kitchen supplies etc. and no lease so I can walk away if needed. or another option I found is just do a lease by fax with an apt company like (Cabana on Thomas) when speaking to me sounded very promising and professional. and a final and BIG question is how is transportation in phoenix. I am looking for close proximity to walk/bike or if transportation is an option then go further away from my safe zone of being near work. and an added bonus is a pool
also --- how is safety for me being in phoenix in a complete new area alone in a complete new environment without knowing anyone? is it easy to find friendly people my age?

Sorry for so much detail I could've written another 20 paragraphs but I had to make myself stop somewhere. if you have any info about the hundred things I asked and didn't or question's let me know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 10:18 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
If you are limiting yourself to public transportation, I'm sorry to say that you will have limited choices. I'd SERIOUSLY recommend not selling the car.

There are very limited areas in the Phoenix Metro where living car-free is possible. South Chandler is not one of them, IMHO.

Renting a room in somebody's home is a risky proposition, but a viable alternative. But be careful. Do a background search on the other people who live in the house. Make sure someone in the house, your landlord, actually OWNS the home. Go with your gut - if it doesn't feel right, trust it. Don't rent ANYTHING site unseen, whether it be a corporate landlord or an individual.

good luck.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:29 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
I think you should have kept the car and used it once you arrive here to hunt for a good place to live. If you have already sold it, then you will definitely need another once you get here. Transportation around Phoenix is not reliable and you are likely to wait in the hot sun for more than 15 minutes for a bus. That said, living near the light rail would be better, but that doesn't go to Chandler at all. So you need a car.

As a 21 year old male, you can probably find a roommate situation on Craig's list which will give you a temporary place to live. Another thing is a month to month hotel which provides a room, bed, cooking facilities, etc until you find a more permanent place. There are lots of things you can do, but not having a car will limit you significantly.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:59 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,176,891 times
There are a couple of Extended Stay America and a Homewood Suites within about 1 mile from 48th & Bighorn. You might want to camp there for week or two until you figure it out. I have to agree with the others, you will want a car. That area is not particularly friendly to public transport and even walking will be a hassle. You will be able to see the place you want to go, but it will take you 1/2 hour to get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: