Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 04:45 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,962,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Joy View Post
We chose an Engle home, and are very happy with our experience with them. We've also heard good things from our friends here that have Shea, TW Lewis, Maracay, and Cachet homes.

About build time, I've heard that 6 months or so is the norm right now.

About spec home changes and incentives, I don't know much about that because we're not buying another home right now as we plan to stay in our current one for a long time. I have heard that the builders are changing their incentives frequently.
Which Engle community? Maybe you know my better half
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 04:51 PM

611 posts, read 2,309,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
Which Engle community? Maybe you know my better half
We're in Vistancia. Where is your better half? You aren't with your better half?

Old 10-15-2007, 05:06 PM

Quote:
We're in Vistancia. Where is your better half? You aren't with your better half?
No he's here with me but when he was in AZ he spent 2 years in Laveen at Dobbins and the Bouganvilla Community, also some time in Gold Canyon and Queen Creek but mainly in Laveen.

He didn't work up in Vistancia at all, but it's a gorgeous community. We considered buying an Engle up there a few years back.

I forgot to say he didn't live there he was a QC for Engle.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
No he's here with me but when he was in AZ he spent 2 years in Laveen at Dobbins and the Bouganvilla Community, also some time in Gold Canyon and Queen Creek but mainly in Laveen.

He didn't work up in Vistancia at all, but it's a gorgeous community. We considered buying an Engle up there a few years back.

I forgot to say he didn't live there he was a QC for Engle.
Glad to hear you're together!

A few years back? We might have seen you at the model gallery or in the sales office because that's when we bought our home here.

What's a QC?

Old 10-15-2007, 05:54 PM

461 posts, read 1,810,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joulees View Post
Not sure exactly - somewhere between 175,000 - 225,000. Will that get me anything? ; )
Depending on the area, it could get you a lot. That would more likely be Queen Creek, Maricopa or Casa Grande. Some areas in Buckeye also. Negotiate with the builders. They are pretty desparate to sell, so whatever "list" of incentives they give you, add on more. More likely than not, they'll go along with it. As far as changing spec homes, it'll depend on what stage of the build the house is in. If it's framed, you probably won't be able to make any structural changes, but will be able to pick out colors, cabinets, flooring, etc. If it's drywalled, some choices like cabinets may already have been made by the builder. But, again, negotiate and don't be afraid to ask for the moon! The worst that can happen is the builder will say no . . . and you can always continue to shop around.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Glad to hear you're together!

A few years back? We might have seen you at the model gallery or in the sales office because that's when we bought our home here.

What's a QC?
Maybe we did pass you in the sales office

A QC is a Quality Control person.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:30 AM

31 posts, read 133,345 times
Please be aware, there will probably be several builders going under and you will definitely not want to contract with them for a new build and risk losing your earnest money. (Or insist it all goes to escrow.) Engle, Beazer, D.R. Horton are a couple at risk right now.

Buying an already built new home (a "quick build") is safer and you can still get a few options put in. Lots of buyers have cancelled contracts so there may be many quick build homes available for great discounts.

Pretty sure Fulton Homes will not be going under, they appear to be conservatively managed. They have some less expensive communities in Casa Grande and Queen Creek.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:45 AM

Monster Daddy, where did you hear that Engle might be going under? I have a friend that works for Engle, and she said they're fine; just restructuring. I also have another friend that is a realtor, and she said most (all?) builders are restructuring now. She even showed me articles about many of the builders including KB, Pulte, Meritage, just to name a few. It only makes sense because any company within any industry would logically do the same after a huge sales demand situation.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:29 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,207,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Daddy View Post
Please be aware, there will probably be several builders going under and you will definitely not want to contract with them for a new build and risk losing your earnest money. (Or insist it all goes to escrow.) Engle, Beazer, D.R. Horton are a couple at risk right now.
Possibly Hovnanian, too, from what I gather lately... DR Horton... I kinda doubt it, but who knows.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:41 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,758,009 times
Engle is restructuring, not going under. I doubt that they will go under, probably see lowered prices first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area