Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 09:32 AM

76 posts, read 166,326 times

Advertisements

Well Good!! I'm glad to hear that. I've heard the early summer mornings and nights are wonderful so I'm glad to hear that. I've heard many negatives about phoenix summers so happy to hear a positive one.
Thanks.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:42 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,569,570 times
I think we can see why places like California and Arizona are popular, regardless of the stats that show "net migration out" of CA. Most people would still rather have a nice, warm year round with few extremes. Of course, if you live in the desert in those places, extremes can range from noon to night!

I don't let the news make me believe what I believe: I know most people do not favor the CA political climate, but the meteorological climate is envied by most. For people like me that struggle with mood swings in the winter months (and I live in Alabama), CA or AZ seem like great destinations.

Side note, I personally think that the deep south has the worst winter of all. It's often times very cold (20's at night, 40's in the day), but is also often times very cloudy for much of the winter. No snow, just gray, miserable dread.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:02 AM

1,551 posts, read 3,646,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
I think we can see why places like California and Arizona are popular, regardless of the stats that show "net migration out" of CA. Most people would still rather have a nice, warm year round with few extremes. Of course, if you live in the desert in those places, extremes can range from noon to night!

I don't let the news make me believe what I believe: I know most people do not favor the CA political climate, but the meteorological climate is envied by most. For people like me that struggle with mood swings in the winter months (and I live in Alabama), CA or AZ seem like great destinations.

Side note, I personally think that the deep south has the worst winter of all. It's often times very cold (20's at night, 40's in the day), but is also often times very cloudy for much of the winter. No snow, just gray, miserable dread.
I was much the same way. The weather depressed me. I moved from Oregon last year and while I didn't realize it at the time, the constant cloudy weather, cool temps and rarely seeing the sunshine for months at a time really got to me. I didn't realize how unhappy I was until I moved here.
While some see the severe heat here as a negative, I see it as a huge positive. Not that I love 110 degree days, it's that I can do things even when it's hot and waking up to a sunny day is always a good thing.
For me, the best thing about the summer heat is that IT ISN'T COLD AND CLOUDY. You have to look at it this way. Regardless of where you live, there is always going to be some kind of severe weather. Most of the time, it's cold and snow and all that you have to deal with to survive in those climates. People often forget that here in southern Arizona, it's the summer that is the "off season" much like it's the off season in the northern climates during the winter. Most of the year here is wonderful weather. So we deal with the heat like most people deal with the winter weather in other areas. It's often said "you don't shovel sunshine" and it's true. The heat in most cases is far easier to deal with than the cold and snow in other areas of the country. No bundling up, no heavy clothes to limit mobility, no shoveling snow out of the driveway every day just to go to work, you don't spend your weekends getting the snow off the roof, no snowplows to slow you down, no avalanches and no depressing cloudy skies for weeks or months at a time. Here, we deal with the heat by staying in air conditioned comfort.
One other thing. In northern climates, when it's cold, it's cold all day and all night. Here in the desert, when it's sizzling hot, it's only hot during the afternoon. The mornings and evenings are great for outdoor activities so you do more things even in the severe weather times in the desert.
Just sayin'

Old 01-21-2013, 11:03 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,689,196 times
Yes. Yes, it is.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:09 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,728,701 times
It's a personal thing, but I do better in the heat as opposed to the cold. Grew up in Massachusetts (which I love), but the long, cold winters are what eventually motivated me to move. While I'm not crazy about 110-115 temps, the arid air makes it more bearable for me. Oh, and having sunshine everyday doesn't hurt!!

Old 01-21-2013, 11:34 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,503,827 times
I much prefer the warm weather over the cold as I'm sure most other people do too.

Phoenix has pretty nice weather most of the year but there are about three or four months when it's horribly hot, those are the only months I dislike.

A nice balance between cold and hot is what I prefer, not too much of either extreme.

My only complaint about our weather lately is the lack of good rainstorms. Seems like there used to be more rain in the wintertime and summer monsoon season when I moved here nearly 17 years ago but they seem to be fewer in numbers over the past several years.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:07 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,777,870 times
I am a warm weather person having lived most of my life in warmer climates like Arizona, California, Florida, Mexico, and Venezuela. However I have also lived in some cold and wet climates.

My facorite climate is Caracas Venezuela where I lived for 2 years. It has low humidity and is pretty well a constant 82 all year.

I lived in Phoenix and after getting accustomed to the climate, I actually looked froward to the summer.

I can't stand the climate in Portland, Seattle, and Vancouver. I lived in all 3 places and the dreary rainy days on end are very depressing.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:05 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,745,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
I wholeheartedly agree. Regardless of how hot the daily high is, the mornings and evenings are heavenly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUE1000
Well Good!! I'm glad to hear that. I've heard the early summer mornings and nights are wonderful so I'm glad to hear that. I've heard many negatives about phoenix summers so happy to hear a positive one.
Thanks.
Be aware that that opinion is not universally held, it differs with the individual. My reaction to a summer morning here is "Oh no, it's already unbearable" and at the end of the day I wish it would cool off but it is 100 something well into the evening.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:07 AM

52 posts, read 164,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
YES. At the very least, it is and advantage for 8 or 9 months a year.
^ well said.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:43 PM

9 posts, read 26,208 times
THANX FOR EVERYBODY REPLIED.

I'm from Saudi Arabia. a plain desert where 120F lasts for monthes. and winter is 50-75F. I came here to study MA for 2 years.
i was so excited to select a city in US that is cold and snowing like Chicago (since i've never touched a snow or sensed a 50F weather) . i came on March 2012 but was sad because winter finished. so i moved to NY on January 2013 and felt miserable and sick it's 16F now. i couldn't close my pants zippers since my hands freezing. i wish i could rewind my life to select a hot city like PH AZ. at least i can dress freely and watch beautiful girls flourishing. (Just Kidding)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: