Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 09:19 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabsJohnson View Post
I am very excited for you HX. I live in a red brick house that is 70 years old. My house has a soul. People were born in it and died in it. Keep us informed. I am reminded of a song.

Little Boxes - YouTube
Why not let the guy enjoy his new home choice without throwing in your off topic opinion about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 09:36 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,942,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabsJohnson View Post
I am very excited for you HX. I live in a red brick house that is 70 years old. My house has a soul. People were born in it and died in it. Keep us informed. I am reminded of a song.

Hmm, I have a feeling you're not really very excited as you say.

Don't get me wrong, I love the old houses too, all the historic districts around downtown are awesome and we regularly do the house tours couple of years and love places in old houses like Cibo.

But for us, first and foremost it wouldn't make sense to move away from the area our business is concentrated in and then have a reverse commute. On top of that, the idea that someone was "born here and died here" really has zero appeal. I like that the house is brand new, that I'm seeing it go up and that I got to choose the structural features that fit what we need. Then of course there's what you get for the money...how much does a nice historic 2,900 sq ft house go for?

Old 01-29-2013, 08:19 PM

So I spent about 6 hours today creating a scale 3D model in the computer of the home so I can play with different landscaping and such, pretty cool program and it's free from Google.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:52 PM

181 posts, read 439,527 times
HX, what were the extra charges for the larger garage? Was it 2 different upgrades, or one adding 2 feet and another four feet, and did it apply to both length and width? How about HOA dues?

Old 01-29-2013, 10:26 PM

The 2' extension was $1,975 and the 4' extension was $3,300, it was one or the other so the most you could add on was 4' (not 6'). It was only an extension to the length, did not add to the width. There was also an option to add a 3rd car garage for $7,850 but we opted to add a 5th bedroom instead to use as part of the home office.

HOA fees are right around $50/month.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:41 PM

537 posts, read 1,545,618 times
Is this house going to have a pool? Are you going to need a lot of rain gutter around that front door? Will a person at the front door get soaked or is there an overhang?

Old 01-29-2013, 11:16 PM

No pool...we had a pool at the old house and last year we literally used it ONCE the whole summer. It looks nice visually but doesn't make sense really, we pay $80/month for pool service and then water and electricity, it's probably $1200+ per year at a minimum.

The courtyard already has gutters standard and there is an overhang at the front door, my 3D model isn't that accurate. :P

Old 01-30-2013, 02:06 AM

537 posts, read 1,545,618 times
When you buy a new house like this, do you have assurances that you won't have two story homes built next to you or behind you looking down in your back yard? How close together are these houses built?

Old 01-30-2013, 07:24 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
No pool...we had a pool at the old house and last year we literally used it ONCE the whole summer. It looks nice visually but doesn't make sense really, we pay $80/month for pool service and then water and electricity, it's probably $1200+ per year at a minimum.

The courtyard already has gutters standard and there is an overhang at the front door, my 3D model isn't that accurate. :P
You had one of the nicest looking backyards w/pools too! I never use mine anymore either, but it serves double duty as a landscape feature and backyard focal point. A nice outdoor kitchen and gathering place might work well in that regard too.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:29 AM

391 posts, read 788,137 times
I mentioned before that we are just up the road in Vistancia. We love the area. Its 8 minutes from our door to Four Corners. You will love the area too I'm sure.

When we looked out there our concern was that we were too far out. Then we talked to people and realized, too far from what? All we really need is right there and we are 20 minutes to Arrowhead or Happy Valley. You are even closer. Across the street from you are some super big homes as I"m sure you have noticed.

Seems like there are real nice houses going up in there. I think your location is ideal. Minutes from 303, 101 is close, shopping and eating at hand and its not overbuilt yet. Traffic is not an issue as the roads were built for much larger capacity than we currently have.

Who is your builder? I'll just agree with another poster that your garage cannot be too big and even my wife now agrees with that . My Canada garage is 27 x24 and its great. Down here I went with a 2 foot extension and wish I had done the four but cost got in the way.

I'd sure like to see progress reports too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area