Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 06:18 AM

3,826 posts, read 9,516,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottay View Post
I got a chuckle out of this. Its an area with a diverse demographic. I went to Sunnyslope and had friends who's parents earned six figures and other friends who's parents were unemployed heroin addicts. Was a great highschool. Money, or a lack thereof did not seem to make anyone more or less popular. A person was liked or disliked based almost entirely on their character and social skills.
Took a walk around this area and just remember how quickly I went from some of the horse properties to stumbling into a little neighborhood full of small shacks with chickens running around the front yard.

What was interesting was talking to a guy that I used to work for in college who grew up in that area back in the 50's. Said Northern was pretty much the edge of town, Sunnyslope was it's own little village. Told me that he and his friends would ride their bikes up to Dunlap where the desert began with .22's slung across their backs. Would ditch the bikes and wander around shooting rabbits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 04:41 AM

3 posts, read 3,099 times
I can't believe this. I just moved into a nice apt complex on 19th & Glendale from out of state last week and bam now they're gonna tear the whole place up for the stupid LR. Just my luck.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:11 AM

3,826 posts, read 9,516,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZthetics View Post
I can't believe this. I just moved into a nice apt complex on 19th & Glendale from out of state last week and bam now they're gonna tear the whole place up for the stupid LR. Just my luck.
That does stink, but there seems to be no shortage of apartment complexes along 19th Avenue.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:52 PM

601 posts, read 758,257 times
Wah Sun is still there - awesome Chinese food!

Old 02-01-2013, 01:19 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,536,544 times
Quote:

You will love it when they are done, though. I think they might get this extension done more smoothly than some of the initial work got done. It's a straight line, and practice makes perfect.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:55 PM

181 posts, read 440,647 times
Quote:

What is the name of the complex? Is it on the same side of 19th ave. as the IHOP? Didn't you notice other buildings on the east side of 19th ave. had been practically cut in half?

Old 02-01-2013, 10:01 PM

428 posts, read 5,887,707 times
is this Sunnyslope? The homes built at northern between 15th ave and 16th lane are very nice, perhaps too good for that area .
I remember seeing some other decent looking homes around 13th/14th st and Northern. I was looking for a condo in that area a year ago because it was close to PV mall, but my realtor warned me to stay away from that area. He said something about homes in dreamy draw (which i just think of sunnyslope) were built on mines and many of them had been torn down because of the mines? I'm an AZ newb, but love hearing about the history of these places. Anyone know what i am talking about?

Old 02-01-2013, 10:16 PM

570 posts, read 1,005,712 times
I would think any business currently on 19th Ave in the light rail construction zone that can relocate will probably do it to avoid what they expect to be a drop in business. Eventually, the light rail may breathe new life into that current stretch, but for now it would be at least a year of unpredictable construction activity.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:22 PM

1,112 posts, read 4,008,636 times
Valley Metro is doing everything they can to help the businesses along 19th, and I'm sure it will turn out better than their efforts did with the original construction.

It might be an inconvenience to deal with now, but the positives will outweigh the negatives!

Old 02-01-2013, 10:26 PM

18,261 posts, read 25,954,600 times
I'm somewhat familiar with this area. I'm an out of stater (western Colorado) but I do some trading at the Bookman's used cd/dvd/book/etc/etc store on 19th and Northern. I like that part of Phoenix but when I stay in the Phoenix area, it's usually in Mesa as there is a Bookman's there as well. Was there in mid December to see the Moody Blues at the Mesa Arts Center and an oldies concert a couple days later there as well.

One place that gets my business on Northern is Carlos O'Briens just 7 blocks (or so) west of Bookman's on the north side of the street. I've been in there many times over the years and they never disappoint me. The food always has been good and reasonably priced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area