Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 04:06 PM

39 posts, read 154,965 times

Advertisements

We are moving to AZ in December. I have never been to AZ but was looking at Glendale area of phoenix, but honestly I have no clue what areas are more run down and what areas are more family friendly. But Phoenix seems to be a great place from what I can see (over the internet). We are a young couple 25, and phoenix seems lively and more up our alley than the little retirment town in Texas we are currently living. We go in mid oct to actually visit. So was wanting the scoop on what areas are best and where we should consider looking. Any help would be awesome. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 06:19 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Like most of the Phoenix suburbs, there are good and bad areas in Glendale. Glendale probably has more than the average share of bad areas, though. So you need to be more specific. If it's the price of homes that you saw in Glendale that drew you to there, then you are probably looking at some bad areas. Good news is there are well priced homes in other areas that are a lot better.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:50 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Glendale Arrowhead area is a very nice popular area.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:36 AM

2,522 posts, read 4,390,755 times
My sister lives in Peoria, very close to Glendale and really loves it. The cost of living seems so much better for her family than it does for my other sister who lives in Scottsdale.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:05 PM

228 posts, read 594,073 times
Downtown Glendale is terrific, a much cheaper, more colorful and "unique" alternative to Scottsdale, IMO, if you're a young professional. It's one of the best-kept secrets about the whole Valley, in fact. The problem is that it's on the West side of Phoenix, which traditionally has had a higher crime rate than the eastern 'burbs. And it is still true that many parts of Glendale away from the central downtown area are crime-plagued and gang-infested. Stay as close to downtown as you can, east of Grand and north of Camelback and you should be OK.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:46 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,483,076 times
Glendale is about 55 square miles. If you're looking for a "family friendly" area I would go as far North as financially possible. The further North you go in Glendale ,with exceptions. The better the schools, the lower the crime, and the nicer the neighborhoods.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:59 PM

477 posts, read 1,582,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borborygmi View Post
Downtown Glendale is terrific, a much cheaper, more colorful and "unique" alternative to Scottsdale, IMO, if you're a young professional. It's one of the best-kept secrets about the whole Valley, in fact. The problem is that it's on the West side of Phoenix, which traditionally has had a higher crime rate than the eastern 'burbs. And it is still true that many parts of Glendale away from the central downtown area are crime-plagued and gang-infested. Stay as close to downtown as you can, east of Grand and north of Camelback and you should be OK.
I disagree with this....I would NOT live in Downtown Glendale! The only part of Glendale I would live in would be the northside of Glendale. I do agree that Peoria is nice, but me personally if you are going to live on the "Westside" keep it Northwest. Arrowhead is nice, as well as parrts of N. Phoenix. But really, you need to have someone that knows the areas take you around when you get here. You won't really understand until you see the area and get a feel for things. There are some nice areas in the East valley but I have always lived on the westside.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:59 PM

9 posts, read 71,457 times
would you consider south glendale to be a bad neighborhood? im thinking about the areas 83rd ave & glendale ave to 67th ave & glendale ave. ive seen some pretty inexpensive homes online in this area.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:48 PM

1,510 posts, read 5,066,110 times
I live in Glendale now, close to Arrowhead. Its a nice area, so far.. I've only been here about a month and a half though. But so far no problems.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:10 PM

23 posts, read 119,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infineon View Post
would you consider south glendale to be a bad neighborhood? im thinking about the areas 83rd ave & glendale ave to 67th ave & glendale ave. ive seen some pretty inexpensive homes online in this area.
That's a middlin area. in other words, a little of both. You could certainly do much worse, but also better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area