Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 08:16 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,483,076 times

Advertisements

I live in Arrowhead and I have to say I really like it. In an ideal world I would live in one of the historic districts in the central corridor. Being as we have 4 kids the subs with the good schools is a better choice for us at this point in our lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 10:57 PM

25 posts, read 55,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneariz View Post
it really depends on what you are used to. If you are from a town that is relatively low crime, you will be surprised at most of Glendale. Crime is the norm. Get used to having your car broken into or stolen and drug crimes rampant, especially meth addicts stealing to support their habit. Shootings are common, and the activity by the illegal aliens are very high. Most of the drop houses are on the West side of phoenix and often include gun crimes, etc. VISIT before you move, of course. And don't just drive through. Stay in an area you are considering so you can see the activity at day and night.
Yikes! Why is it so bad?

Old 03-22-2009, 09:54 AM
wng

72 posts, read 245,332 times
^^^
No matter North, South, East, West; there are bad areas in all parts of the metro PHX area.
The trafficking of illegals and drugs are large part of it. Plus the domestic variety due to Meth. I grew up in the Northeast, where crack was the street drug and it caused plenty of petty crimes. Since moving to PHX, I've learned to recognize the typical Meth addict, their behavioral pattern.

And anyone can own a firearm. You only need to apply for a permit if you want concealed carry.
Logistically, the city is too spread out, that means police response and coverage is poor and slow. Criminals and punks have no fear to perpetrate a crime in any neighborhood. Sexual predators, the same. Due to the warm weather during winters, it's a transient city. Young and old, good and bad, flock to the area.
The trick to living in PHX is to not be apathetic.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:16 PM

235 posts, read 755,606 times
Glendale has bad areas and BAD areas. If you don't mind an older house, a neighborhood where one house is kept up nicely and the next could pass for a crack house then I would say anything above cactus road. If you would rather newer homes, hoa's. Then go closer to Peoria. Glendale is pretty much all the same unless you go nearby the downtown(Glendale ave.). To rent or even worse buy in glendale sight unseen, is a terrible idea. Just scope out the area. Go during the day and at night. Granted you most likely wont see all the criminals at work, but you will get a good feel for the neigborhood. Good luck.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:24 AM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times
Arizona Crime Search - Crime In Arizona - Phoenix Crime Search - azcentral.com

This lets you see reported crimes by neighborhood. If you put in Glendale, you'll see most of the bad stuff happens on the south side. Searching by zip code seems to bring up more crimes; I suspect they key in the data by zip code.

We live in north Glendale and find it to be a nice, relatively quiet area. People pretty much mind their own business. We know our immediate neighbors pretty well, go to each other's kids' birthday parties, etc., but the rest of the people on our block have been rather distant. The shopping is phenomenal around here, lots and lots of malls with all the chains, plenty of fast food and relatively good sit down restaurants too. It's not Scottsdale by any stretch, but it's got pretty much everything one could wish for and is cheaper than Scottsdale.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:17 AM

725 posts, read 2,321,513 times
Glendale has good and bad 'hoods like any other place.

I see nothing wrong with these images of Glendale though.

Old 03-28-2009, 11:19 AM

496 posts, read 1,054,788 times
I have a friend whom I went to school with,who lived in Goodyear for awhile he said the west sides of town in Glendale and Avondale weren't very bad He also suggested Goodyear as well I guess we'll find out soon . When are the best times to visit? By the way the pics are nice Thanks

Old 03-28-2009, 12:08 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneariz View Post
it really depends on what you are used to. If you are from a town that is relatively low crime, you will be surprised at most of Glendale. Crime is the norm. Get used to having your car broken into or stolen and drug crimes rampant, especially meth addicts stealing to support their habit. Shootings are common, and the activity by the illegal aliens are very high. Most of the drop houses are on the West side of phoenix and often include gun crimes, etc. VISIT before you move, of course. And don't just drive through. Stay in an area you are considering so you can see the activity at day and night.
That's not true. It depends entirely where you live in Glendale. Arrowhead Ranch is nicer than many parts of the valley and I'm an "East Sider" (Chandler). I've learned that stereotyping entire regions of the valley is not fair. Unlike other cities, Phoenix is so spread out and you can't conveniently point out one bad area like you can in other cities. It's all about the neighborhood. You can't just say Glendale has crime and Scottsdale is safe because certain parts of South Scottsdale is scary and certain parts of Glendale is really safe.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:32 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,695,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
That's not true. It depends entirely where you live in Glendale. Arrowhead Ranch is nicer than many parts of the valley and I'm an "East Sider" (Chandler). I've learned that stereotyping entire regions of the valley is not fair. Unlike other cities, Phoenix is so spread out and you can't conveniently point out one bad area like you can in other cities. It's all about the neighborhood. You can't just say Glendale has crime and Scottsdale is safe because certain parts of South Scottsdale is scary and certain parts of Glendale is really safe.
The scary part your talking about is most likely Phoenix-Scottsdale border by the 143 and the helicopter base. It's not really scary, it's lots of bus stops in that area and more open then the rest of scottsdale.

By grand ave,the rails, drug users hotels, and strip clubs would be scary to walk at night. But thats not Glendale, that's the Maryvale, Bethany heights. Glendale is a nice little area and can't wait for the light rail circle to come.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:54 PM

496 posts, read 1,054,788 times
I can't hardly wait to visit I've been to big cities before but never for a long time I lived in a suburb of Chicago 6 mths Berwyn It was quiet back then but not now they say. Chicago was very big then for me but I just know Ill like it Being from the mountians and all It will be a big change I sort of a hillbilly I guess
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area