Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 10:27 AM

563 posts, read 1,791,805 times

Advertisements

I visit AZ area at least once a month, and every time I get here, I am constantly getting shocked when I touch something - getting in/out of the car, opening/closing doors when I grab the door handles, even when I grab my daughter's hand! I'm afraid to even move!

Is it just me, or does this happen to everyone down here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 11:00 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,725,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGuy View Post
I visit AZ area at least once a month, and every time I get here, I am constantly getting shocked when I touch something - getting in/out of the car, opening/closing doors when I grab the door handles, even when I grab my daughter's hand! I'm afraid to even move!

It happens to everyone at some point. Much worse in the cooler months. I hold the door frame of the car as I get out, which keeps from getting a big bang when I touch the door to shut the car.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:22 AM

517 posts, read 1,707,500 times
Quote:
I had it bad these last couple of months

Old 01-31-2013, 12:14 PM

2,296 posts, read 3,103,507 times
The cooler weather always makes it more pronounced. It used to happen all the time in the fall and winter when I lived in Illinois. Less so now. I gave my wife some shockingly good kisses a couple weeks ago when it was really cold.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:37 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,776,244 times
Don't rub your legs together while walking and static electricity won't build up.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:52 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,397,575 times
It's just your electric personality!
nah - it's the dry air and, according to this science site, it's atoms and electrons run amok.
You have to scroll down quite a bit...

I've learned, especially in my office and around my computers, to touch something metal like the arm on my office chair before touching the mouse. Otherwise sometimes the mouse will freeze for about 5 minutes. I've had some serious arcs fly off the light switch as well.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:30 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,904,487 times
Quote:

No idea what this is about.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:25 PM

101 posts, read 173,781 times
I get it too. Sometimes you can actually see, hear, and definately feel it. They can be up to two inches long. I hat it when the corner of the car door zaps my nipple! (I'm a man)

Old 01-31-2013, 09:30 PM

44,679 posts, read 61,809,426 times
It's static electricity and happens when humidity is low and the air is very dry which happens in this area frequently during the winter months.
You can google Static electricity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for aditional information.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:50 PM

93 posts, read 182,969 times
Quote:

Man, you just made me laugh out loud. My wife is out at a meeting, so the only one who thinks I'm whoo-hooed is the cat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area