Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 02:19 AM

977 posts, read 1,110,395 times

Advertisements

I've tried searching for prior threads on this subject, but would like to ask for any favorable comments on Sun City. I currently live in the SE part of the valley and am considering a move both for financial reasons and in the hopes of finding more activities and friends. Do you enjoy the activities and clubs offered at the centers? Is it easy to get around? What do you like about living there? Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 10:30 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,756,715 times
We like the retro feel to the city and the homes here. Not your typical luxury retirement community, although some have put a small fortune into these homes, especially the lake homes. We like the lower taxes compared to our other home we still own and would never consider moving back to that development, even with the bling bling it has.
This city offers such a variety of activities it is hard to get bored and there are hundreds of clubs to consider. The other nice thing it offeres is choice in housing. If you want a townhome/condo there are many different ones to choose from. I don't recall ever seeing so many different floor plans for one development. The condo units seem to sell quickly as do many of the single family homes here. Most are purchasing to remodel to their wants and needs but you can find some that have been updated by investors. Prices are moving upward. Best of luck in your search.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:40 AM

181 posts, read 439,739 times
The 3000+ transfer fees are what turned me off. A mid century Del Webb would be something to be proud of. SFRs were going for as low as 50K a few years ago.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:45 AM

44,642 posts, read 61,669,787 times
Motley Crew covered it quite well.

OP, have you looked that this site for more information about Sun City... SCVC it can answer a lot of questions.

Prices for garden court residences start around $30,000 and condo's are going for $38,000 and up. But sales are picking up rapidly and prices are going up also.

The biggest turnoff new buyers have is the $3000.00 PIF Property Inprovement Fund. The fund is there for improving, maintaining rec centers and other facilities in SC. But then in the long run over a period of time as your residence improves in price you'll recover it in it's value.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:17 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,756,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Motley Crew covered it quite well.

OP, have you looked that this site for more information about Sun City... SCVC it can answer a lot of questions.

Prices for garden court residences start around $30,000 and condo's are going for $38,000 and up. But sales are picking up rapidly and prices are going up also.

The biggest turnoff new buyers have is the $3000.00 PIF Property Inprovement Fund. The fund is there for improving, maintaining rec centers and other facilities in SC. But then in the long run over a period of time as your residence improves in price you'll recover it in it's value.
We looked at a 55+ community when the economy was humming along and the HOA fees were almost $300 a month. The one time 3,000 hit seemed like a deal for us as the high HOA fee at over $3,000 a year continues as long as you live there. Our gyms are stunning to say the least and they are repainting and remodeling the rec centers as I type. Our HOA fee for a single family home is only $25 A YEAR, the rec fee is $445 or under $40 a month. I am grateful we stopped to take a closer look at this place and what we did to our home, we could not have done in any other development where every other home is the same model, different rock facade.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:34 AM

214 posts, read 402,203 times
There are too many positives to list.

The $3000 capital improvement fee is well worth it when you take a good look around at all the recreational centers (7) and things to do. If I get time later tonight I will post more.

We looked around at a few of the over 55 communities and always came back to Sun City. We will be residents in less than 2 years now.

Oh, and yes, the prices are going up all over the West Valley, including Sun City.

Last edited by ILikeEveryone; 02-12-2013 at 02:35 AM.. Reason: Addition

Old 02-12-2013, 07:16 AM

943 posts, read 2,522,398 times
I've had several patients that I make home visits to in Sun City and I've been impressed with the cleanliness and safe feeling I get when traveling through there. Probably my biggest surprise has been how many of these older homes have large bathrooms and walk-in-closets, which must have been a bit of a luxurious amenity when they were built.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:47 PM

977 posts, read 1,110,395 times
Thanks to all who posted! I do appreciate it. I've looked at several properties with a RE agent once and am getting updates. There's one I want to see soon. It will be hard to start over yet again, knowing no one. (except on CD) I want to visit a recreation center, too. Have looked at the clubs and activities listed on the website. I hope it will be easier to make friends there...I've tried really hard where I'm living, but few older singles here and the ones I've met have families nearby and are active with them. I have met some really nice people, though, and hate to leave them behind.....hopefully may be able to visit. I can't drive far so am limited that way. The trip to SC to see real estate takes about an hour and a half or more. My usual limit is 20 minutes driving and 2-3 hrs being gone. I get so fatigued and sore, as I have fibromyalgia and arthritis plus back problems. Thanks again for your replies! I welcome others.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:55 AM

214 posts, read 402,203 times
Did I mention the seven (7) recreational centers? LOL. DH and I did quick visits of all seven, particularly the Bell and Fairview Centers which are awesome. Fairview is the newest and there are plans for expansion at the Marinette location. The pools are magnificent. Recreation fees and club fees are extremely reasonable, IMO. And there are clubs and activities and people from all over the US and beyond to make friends with. I don't see how you could not find friends or things to do in SC. There is something for everyone.

If you are looking at properties, you would probably do best to look at condos where most of the outside maintenance is done for you for a monthly fee. The prices are still very reasonable, but like everything now in the West Valley, they are going up too. Good luck.

Last edited by ILikeEveryone; 02-15-2013 at 04:59 AM.. Reason: Caffeine has not yet kicked in.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:04 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,033,703 times
I think a couple of plus's for S.C. are there are no schools so not a bunch of afternoon traffic and since there's no schools there's also not a bunch of kids running around dropping garbage and tearing things up. This also leads to no school taxes either.
Don't get me wrong, I don't hate kids but I do have issues with how some are parented over the last few years.
The other upside is you can drive a golf cart almost everywhere which saves on fuel costs. Downside is the large concentration of people who probably shouldn't be driving anything much less a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: