Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2007, 09:58 AM
SMG SMG started this thread

490 posts, read 1,109,886 times

Advertisements

Okay, this one has been touched on. I just had a ppol installed. I do NOT want to install propane and we do ot have any gas utilities at our home. So, if we are to heat our pool I sm convinced a heat pump would be our best bet. A couple of questions...

1. is anybody here using a heat pump with electric?
2 How effective is it? Ten or fiteen degrees?
3. How much of a spike does your electric bill see when being used?

I am just looking for those that have an opinion on heat pumps for pools...thanks All!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 10:20 PM

123 posts, read 551,273 times
We sold our home with one a couple months ago and would say it was the best investment we made in the pool construction. Combined with a solar blanket for use at minimum nights or day use when its cold you can afford to swim year round. We had a large pool and the larger, I think 140,000 BTU unit. We liked the pool warm and its hard to estimate, but I would guess $100 added to the bill in the spring/fall and maybe $200 in the winter. Of course you must run it night during the week and weekend lower electical rate time periods.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:45 PM
pcg

98 posts, read 377,227 times
I would like to ask why a heat pump would be more efficient than pure resistive heating, like an electric hot water heater?

Old 08-28-2009, 06:58 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcg View Post
I would like to ask why a heat pump would be more efficient than pure resistive heating, like an electric hot water heater?
Pure resistive heating is 100% efficient. 1 kwh electric input results in 1 kwh of heat energy. This is called the coefficient of performance and for electric resistance is 1.0. An air source heat pump has a COP of about 2-3, so it produces (transfers) 2 or more times the energy in heat than would be available from the electricity it consumes. So it is clearly more advantageous than electric resistance. When it comes to gas it may not be, though. The best gas heater is maybe 95% efficient so, at first blush the heat pump would win. However, cost of energy comes in to play. Gas is much cheaper (right now) per input btu than is electricity. So gas is the cheapest way (again right now) to heat your pool.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:32 AM

1 posts, read 6,434 times
In regards to the price of gas comment. That individual is talking about natural gas not propane as that is what I have and the reason I am looking at alternative options. Way to expensive to heat your pool with propane unless you have money to burn. No pun intended.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:05 AM

63 posts, read 141,450 times
hi I agree 100% with stilllooking above we have had a heat pump for 5 years and love it, we heat the pool all winter to 91 degrees all winter, go for it they are great

Old 04-03-2012, 09:20 AM

35 posts, read 59,451 times
THis thead was revived. I was wondering if anyone is using a heat pump last year to cool their pool down and what that ran in costs?

Old 09-18-2012, 10:41 AM

36 posts, read 169,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Pure resistive heating is 100% efficient. 1 kwh electric input results in 1 kwh of heat energy. This is called the coefficient of performance and for electric resistance is 1.0. An air source heat pump has a COP of about 2-3, so it produces (transfers) 2 or more times the energy in heat than would be available from the electricity it consumes. So it is clearly more advantageous than electric resistance. When it comes to gas it may not be, though. The best gas heater is maybe 95% efficient so, at first blush the heat pump would win. However, cost of energy comes in to play. Gas is much cheaper (right now) per input btu than is electricity. So gas is the cheapest way (again right now) to heat your pool.
Gas might be cheapest if you were paying APS. . While we do have APS we have solar electric. Yep I know I haven't factored in the cost of solar but we are in that for the long haul.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:52 AM

24 posts, read 54,180 times
Default Cost to run heat pump in Cape Coral

We're new to the area, pool has an electric heat pump. It's about a 12,000 gal pool, what will it cost to run the heat pump? Would it be worth the money to install solar panels?

Old 10-15-2012, 12:38 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,643,993 times
I have solar panels on mine and they work great most of the time. The downside is cloudy days and during December and January, it's just too cold to heat the pool to my desired temperature but if you also had a heater, they would help keep the heating costs to a minimum.
I love my solar heaters. Right now my pool is a wonderfully warm 88 degrees while most others are in the mid 70's or lower.
I built my own solar heaters. It's pretty easy actually and it cost me less than $400.00. They work surprisingly well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area