Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 08:29 PM

1 posts, read 3,933 times

Advertisements

can i ask the viewers what they think of a family moving to tolleson arizona? are the schools nice? what about crime? is the area safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 08:34 PM

7,328 posts, read 12,370,897 times
What would be considered the better part of Tolleson (south of Buckeye/MC 85) is actually within the Phoenix city limits; the city of Tolleson itself is undesirable. We have a house out there in Palisades at Country Place that we are renting out. Still, there are more desirable areas in the West Valley, such as Avondale (north of I-10 only), Goodyear, or Litchfield Park. If you don't mind the commute, also consider Buckeye.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:30 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,983,693 times
Make sure you bring some good board games. The worst thing about Tolleson is the boredom.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:34 PM

975 posts, read 1,407,358 times
It is actually a great location (close to downtown Phoenix and Glendale) where there are plenty of "fun" things to do.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:49 PM

606 posts, read 1,608,207 times
I take it from your screen name that you already own land in Tolleson? Are you planning to build a home on that land and live there with your family?

Well, in my honest opinion, Tolleson isn't that bad, but it isn't that great either... If you are committed to that part of the Valley for some reason, I think Goodyear or Avondale are nicer cities honestly.

Nothing horrible about Tolleson though; and if you actually are a Tolleson land owner like your name implies, then maybe you already are locked into Tolleson.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:40 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,472,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
What would be considered the better part of Tolleson (south of Buckeye/MC 85) is actually within the Phoenix city limits; the city of Tolleson itself is undesirable. We have a house out there in Palisades at Country Place that we are renting out. Still, there are more desirable areas in the West Valley, such as Avondale (north of I-10 only), Goodyear, or Litchfield Park. If you don't mind the commute, also consider Buckeye.
Be VERY careful about such broad overgeneralizations about any place, much less one where you don't live.

Last edited by observer53; 03-28-2013 at 10:48 AM..

Old 03-28-2013, 10:43 AM

7,328 posts, read 12,370,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Be VERY careful about such broad overgeneralizations about any place, much less one where you don't live.
I am not overgeneralizing, since we have been there many times and know a lot about the area. We originally bought a house there in Palisades at Country Place for my brother (who chose that particular house) who was attending UTI in Avondale. We are now renting out that house, since my brother decided to go back to New Mexico.

Fact is, much of the newer and nicer developments with a Tolleson address are actually in the Phoenix city limits.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:54 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,246,818 times
I'd be a little dubious of Tolleson ..... i think it's maybe a hair better than some parts of avondale, but on the grand scheme it's a very small, warehousing city ..... it could have potential being so close to the freeway, great access to many places, etc ...... but I'm not sure if it will ever hit that

Their HS gets the backhanded compliment of being somewhat overacheiving and it seems like it could be OK ....... everyone has their own needs in a city, but personally I would be concerned about the ability for Tolleson to have strong enough revenue streams to really support the incoming population and it's impact on city services, etc

Old 03-28-2013, 11:16 AM

39,107 posts, read 51,328,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
I'd be a little dubious of Tolleson ..... i think it's maybe a hair better than some parts of avondale, but on the grand scheme it's a very small, warehousing city ..... it could have potential being so close to the freeway, great access to many places, etc ...... but I'm not sure if it will ever hit that

Their HS gets the backhanded compliment of being somewhat overacheiving and it seems like it could be OK ....... everyone has their own needs in a city, but personally I would be concerned about the ability for Tolleson to have strong enough revenue streams to really support the incoming population and it's impact on city services, etc
I dunno. I was just looking at their financial statements and they are very good. Their net assets in 2011 were 85 million over liabilities. Revenues exceeded expenses by a wide margin. 2011 was not a good year for AZ cities. Tolleson has, as you point out, a large warehousing sector. It also has some of the best retail sales property in the southwest valley. That's a lot of taxes for a city of only a few thousand people and maybe 6 square miles.

Old 04-13-2013, 02:43 AM

52 posts, read 71,713 times
Unlike most other suburbs of Phoenix (that get called cities) Tolleson is not an extension of Phoenix, it is incorporated in and of itself.
In other words Tolleson is -actually- a completely separate city from Phoenix with it's own zoning laws, building codes, permit requirements, inspection requirements, business license requirements, taxes and so forth and they are not always consistent with the rest of the area.
I personally like the "Small Town Feel" of Tolleson in conjunction with it's proximity to greater Phoenix and Avondale but I shied away from moving there when the cities website indicated I would need the Sheriff's Office and the Fire Department to inspect my house just to apply for (APPLY FOR) a business license to run a legally registered tax paying eBay business from my home.
- That's a little too Patton Place for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area