Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What type of garage door opener do you have?
Chain drive 8 53.33%
Screw drive 2 13.33%
Belt drive 4 26.67%
Jackshaft/Wall mounted 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 01:04 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,346,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
You don't need to buy from an installer but you have to go outside normal retail channels locally or get it on the internet. I put in both my door and my lifter myself (built the garage and the house myself too FWIW). I got it from a door/parts supplier. An 18 foot door was too big for my trailer and they delivered state wide. In any case, for my house in town I would just get the Big Box version. The LiftMaster version is overpriced relative to the Chamberlain and you could pay 2-3 times the material cost to have someone put it in for you. If a builder does it, it will be even more. Never buy anything from a builder that you can source after the sale unless having it "in the loan" matters.
Actually, the upgrade is for $150 (the LiftMaster 2355 1/2 hp chain drive is included standard at no extra cost). At the website The GateHouse, the LiftMaster 8550 is currently selling for $267. For comparison, they are selling the conventional AC motor 3/4 hp LiftMaster 3585 for $259.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 01:12 PM

39,079 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Actually, the upgrade is for $150 (the LiftMaster 2355 1/2 hp chain drive is included standard at no extra cost). At the website The GateHouse, the LiftMaster 8550 is currently selling for $267. For comparison, they are selling the conventional AC motor 3/4 hp LiftMaster 3585 for $259.
no extra cost = they're overcharging you in the "standard" price, LOL. Anyway, I would prefer a belt over a chain. I have had that as well and it is noisy too. My experience with chain was why I went with a screw drive. Now that I have owned a blelt drive there is no doubt in my mind that a rubber belt is the way to go. If you have to pay an extra 150 for it, well console yourself that you have battery backup though you will likely never need it and if you do, the battery will be dead.

Then again, if you have a battery backup, you have a DC motor. And if you have a DC motor you have a transformer in the unit that will likely conk out from the heat long before the expected service life of a AC opener. Since Fulton does not offer the "right" opener, you will have to make a compromise or find another builder who does.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 04-16-2013 at 01:23 PM..

Old 04-16-2013, 01:33 PM

Hey, here's one that I would like: the Craftsman AssureLink (also Chamberlain, I presume). It connects to your wireless wifi and you can use a phone app to check on/open/close door. If I had a dollar for everytime I have gone somewhere and wondered, "did I close the garage door?". $240 from Sears with DC motor and battery backup. You could take the Fulton "free" one out and sell it on Craigslist and get this one for only a 100 bucks more than the upgrade. You should have no problem getting a hundred bucks for the Fulton one so it is free.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
no extra cost = they're overcharging you in the "standard" price, LOL. Anyway, I would prefer a belt over a chain. I have had that as well and it is noisy too. My experience with chain was why I went with a screw drive. Now that I have owned a blelt drive there is no doubt in my mind that a rubber belt is the way to go. If you have to pay an extra 150 for it, well console yourself that you have battery backup though you will likely never need it and if you do, the battery will be dead.

Then again, if you have a battery backup, you have a DC motor. And if you have a DC motor you have a transformer in the unit that will likely conk out from the heat long before the expected service life of a AC opener. Since Fulton does not offer the "right" opener, you will have to make a compromise or find another builder who does.
According to LiftMaster the 8550 has an auto-force feature that adjusts to temperature changes. Also, you should remember that DC motors inherently run cooler themselves than AC motors. Also, it uses 75% less energy in standby mode than AC openers.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:27 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,946,214 times
We have a Craftsman WIFI chain drive opener and I love it. The WIFI/iPhone App is great, it's come in handy multiple times of checking whether or not the garage is closed or letting someone in the house when we're not home. Definitely recommend it.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
We have a Craftsman WIFI chain drive opener and I love it. The WIFI/iPhone App is great, it's come in handy multiple times of checking whether or not the garage is closed or letting someone in the house when we're not home. Definitely recommend it.
Do you know if it works with Android?

EDIT: Never mind, it does. I found the app on Google Play Store.

I think I am going to get one. I am tired of all the noise from my old one. Now: belt versus chain?

Old 04-16-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Do you know if it works with Android?

EDIT: Never mind, it does. I found the app on Google Play Store.

I think I am going to get one. I am tired of all the noise from my old one. Now: belt versus chain?
Belt drive is MUCH quieter than chain drive. Quite often, a chain drive will be even louder than a screw drive, since chain drives are generally more rough than screw drives.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:16 PM

Our chain drive seems very quite, really cant hear it. The garage door itself opening/closing makes the most noise by far.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Our chain drive seems very quite, really cant hear it. The garage door itself opening/closing makes the most noise by far.
Thanks for the info. I ordered the chain drive. It looks like their belt drive includes battery backup which is just another expense for a new battery down the road.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:54 PM

Good stuff! Im sure you'll like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: