Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2013, 08:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,234 times

Advertisements

We are considering looking for a house in the southeast part of Mesa around the area of Ellsworth Rd. and Guadalupe. Is this a good area? Mainly concerned about crime, as we are in our 60s. We have always lived in the Chicagoland area, so we are certainly familiar with big cities that have many different types of neighborhoods. However, at this stage of our lives, we want an area that looks to remain pretty stable and safe for a while. If this is not a good area, can you recommend areas in or around Mesa that are more stable and safe? Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 09:24 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,765,229 times
Well you will be safer there then you would be in Chicago plus big brother here allows you to hav e a gun here unlike safe crime free Chicago. That area is a safe area and is pretty much in Apache Junction then Mesa.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:56 PM

267 posts, read 692,949 times
Actually, life there can be pretty rough... I think maybe the police there got a call today about someone's pool cover that wouldn't open.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:58 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,979,340 times
That area is pretty safe and quiet. You might think your neighbors are up to something it's so quiet.....in all seriousness though you'll be fine. Put your mind at ease and welcome to the Valley of the Sun! Oh and make sure you take your "ObamaBiden" bumper stickers off your car before you get to Mesa...you've been warned!

Old 05-08-2013, 10:29 PM

582 posts, read 1,482,255 times
Crime is comparable in that area to the south side of Chicago. Older people like yourselves get robbed and assaulted on a daily basis. You're liable to get carjacked when you go to the store, and have your home invaded while you sleep. As soon as you walk outside of your house there is a good chance that you will be approached at gunpoint and asked to drive to the ATM to withdraw money. Lots of Blacks and Mexicans who hate retirees there, and may kill you if you don't cooperate with them.

Is that the kind of area you are afraid of? When you and other posters refer to an area as "safe" I feel that is what you are worried about.

In reality, the area you are asking about is fine. Lots of retirees there, newer homes, and all the amenities that retired people want.

It upsets me when anyone posts on this forum asks if an area is safe. Once you get here you can drive around and confirm that for yourselves. I am sure you researched the area and knew that it is a haven for retirees, and it is full of retirement communities, so it's not going to be in the projects.

But crime is everywhere here just like in any city. It is random and isolated, not relegated to one particular area. If you leave your purse in the shopping cart it could get stolen, if you walk around oblivious to your surroundings you could get robbed. If you leave your garage door open when you aren't in it you could get robbed. It is not so much the area as it is your being street smart and aware.

Yes the area is fine. But unless you are living in the projects, which a couple coming here to retire wouldn't be doing, the area makes no difference. It is you. Are you alert, and do you take adequate precautions to keep from being victimized?

If you've lived in Chicagoland, I am sure you did not live in the hood. If you're worried about safety in East Mesa, you had better watch out for the old people with Alzheimers, who may put the car in reverse instead of drive, and plow you down in the parking lot, or run you over with their scooters in Wal-Mart.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:47 PM

402 posts, read 1,528,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober13 View Post
Crime is comparable in that area to the south side of Chicago. Older people like yourselves get robbed and assaulted on a daily basis. You're liable to get carjacked when you go to the store, and have your home invaded while you sleep. As soon as you walk outside of your house there is a good chance that you will be approached at gunpoint and asked to drive to the ATM to withdraw money. Lots of Blacks and Mexicans who hate retirees there, and may kill you if you don't cooperate with them.

Is that the kind of area you are afraid of? When you and other posters refer to an area as "safe" I feel that is what you are worried about.

In reality, the area you are asking about is fine. Lots of retirees there, newer homes, and all the amenities that retired people want.

It upsets me when anyone posts on this forum asks if an area is safe. Once you get here you can drive around and confirm that for yourselves. I am sure you researched the area and knew that it is a haven for retirees, and it is full of retirement communities, so it's not going to be in the projects.

But crime is everywhere here just like in any city. It is random and isolated, not relegated to one particular area. If you leave your purse in the shopping cart it could get stolen, if you walk around oblivious to your surroundings you could get robbed. If you leave your garage door open when you aren't in it you could get robbed. It is not so much the area as it is your being street smart and aware.

Yes the area is fine. But unless you are living in the projects, which a couple coming here to retire wouldn't be doing, the area makes no difference. It is you. Are you alert, and do you take adequate precautions to keep from being victimized?

If you've lived in Chicagoland, I am sure you did not live in the hood. If you're worried about safety in East Mesa, you had better watch out for the old people with Alzheimers, who may put the car in reverse instead of drive, and plow you down in the parking lot, or run you over with their scooters in Wal-Mart.

Um, been to SE Mesa lately? It's not a high crime area (compaired to other parts of Mesa) and the generalizations about minorities are completly unfounded. That part of town is a mix of retirement communities (both stick built and mobile home parks) and alot of new family housing that has been built in the last 10-15 years. Lots of shopping has been built up in the last 5 years or so as well. I'd have no problem ever moving back there if I came back to AZ.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:55 PM

77 posts, read 123,320 times
I was in Mesa a few months ago and this line "Older people like yourselves get robbed and assaulted on a daily basis" made me laugh so hard. I admit I am not very skittish but Mesa to me is just suburban Phoenix. Nothing out of the ordinary that I can recall. Mesa is not Beirut.

Old 05-12-2013, 06:02 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uli2000 View Post
Um, been to SE Mesa lately? It's not a high crime area (compaired to other parts of Mesa) and the generalizations about minorities are completly unfounded. That part of town is a mix of retirement communities (both stick built and mobile home parks) and alot of new family housing that has been built in the last 10-15 years. Lots of shopping has been built up in the last 5 years or so as well. I'd have no problem ever moving back there if I came back to AZ.
Perhaps you missed his sarcasm. He wasn't saying there was an actual problem in that part of Mesa at all.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:01 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,057,995 times
The zip codes for that area are 85209 and 85212. Check out the crime map: Arizona Crime Search - Crime In Arizona - Phoenix Crime Search - azcentral.com=
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area