Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2013, 11:38 AM

9 posts, read 10,561 times

Advertisements

So i just returned from a week visiting Scottsdale and have a question about the traffic. Last Friday afternoon, my mother and I drove down to South Mountain to drive to the overlook. I was a little concerned about heading back to our hotel around 5:00 because where I am from, you will be stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic from 4:30 to at least 6:30 weekdays, especially on a Friday. We came back on Central Avenue, thru downtown and turned on Thunderbird (which turned into Cactus?) to get to Scottsdale Rd. The traffic was light and manageable so I was quite pleasantly surprised.

On Saturday afternoon, we left a seminar we were attending at 3:30 pm and drove from Greenway-Hayden Loop over to Scottdale Rd. for a late lunch. Again, I was surprised that hardly anyone was on the streets driving or in the strip malls shopping. Where I live, Saturday is so busy with traffic all day, especially around shopping areas. I wondered if maybe everyone works in Scottsdale during the week and then are gone on the weekends? I was quite puzzled by the unexpectedly light traffic. Since I read this forum on a regular basis I wanted to post the question to see if the locals have an explanation.

One other comment I have is that the people I encountered on the road in Scottsdale drive like crazy fast! I know that was not my imagination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 12:06 PM

233 posts, read 258,009 times
Traffic is generally lighter on Fridays, whether it be from people taking three-day weekends or working from home. A lot of people get out of town on the weekends to try and escape the summer heat or just don't like to go out in the middle of the day. Generally, things kind of wind down here in the summer. If you were here in the winter there would a lot more traffic in Scottsdale and across the valley.

People drive fast in Scottsdale, but it's a whole valley thing.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:29 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,500,973 times
Traffic is worse on weekdays especially morning and afternoon crush hour times, Scottsdale is no exception.

But if you visit in the summertime, traffic will usually be lighter.

In my own experience traffic on many surface streets seems a little lighter than the freeways.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:52 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,058,801 times
wondering if the roads in Charlotte are generally narrower, so they seem busier?.....and wondering if polite southerners drive slower than self-important Scottsdale-types?.....

Old 06-24-2013, 11:51 AM

9 posts, read 10,561 times
Thanks, all.
Azdr - I think you have a point about the narrow streets and "polite" southern drivers!

Old 06-24-2013, 12:19 PM

19,433 posts, read 27,819,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
wondering if the roads in Charlotte are generally narrower, so they seem busier?.....and wondering if polite southerners drive slower than self-important Scottsdale-types?.....
Having moved from Phoenix metro to Raleigh, NC in June 2012, I can assure you that the driver's here are just as bad as the Scottsdale drivers. It's a different kind of bad. In Phoenix, they drive like speed demons. In Raleigh, they tailgate. When it rains in Phoenix, everybody slows down - sometime much too slow for safety on those highways. In Raleigh, they don't even notice that it's raining except to turn on their lights and windshield wipers.

However, Phoenix has large, wide highways that are well lit at night and very well marked. Raleigh has smaller highways, little lighting and poor signage. And lots of two lane (one in each direction) roads that are curving and have no street lighting at all!

Don't misunderstand: I love living in Raleigh. But I much preferred driving in Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area