Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2008, 10:51 AM

5 posts, read 13,557 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of taking a job at Lockheed Martin in Goodyear, AZ and want to live in Scottsdale. How bad of a commute would that be? Google maps says its 36 miles and should take around 45 mins or 1 1/2 hours with traffic. How often would the traffic be that bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 11:03 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
where in scottsdale? - pending the portion there are a couple different commutes that will produce different results

once you clear the freeway interchanges from any direction it should open up a bit as for the most part it's a reverse commute

but still a lot of places it could get congested

i'm guessing scottdale is the home preference due to nightlife? - if so I would probably just as quickly live near westgate or the arrowhead area and commute to goodyear - have some entertainment options right on hand throughout the week and a short commute into scottsdale for when you want to go out there

make the shortest drive possible for the most amount of days

also where in goodyear is lockheed? Is it down by the airport?

Old 08-25-2008, 11:43 AM

5 posts, read 13,557 times
thanks for the respone. i'm actually moving in with my girlfriend and she already has a place near old town. it's called the san marin apts. i think.

and yes the lockheed is right down by the airport.

So for a typical day would you say about 45 mins commute?

Old 08-25-2008, 11:52 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
probably - maybe a little more

i'm not too familiar with the commute between there and the 10/17 interchange - but i do drive in from goodyear to central phoenix so I see the westbound traffic and am familiar with the drive when traffic is lighter

once you clear the 10/17 it's pretty smooth sailing until you get out near the loop and the construction - however, it would be pretty easy to get off the highway and run down to buckeye and run that right in (buckeye = mc 85 out in goodyear)

if traffic was really bad on the 10 you could run that all the way in

I would probably say you are looking at 20-30 minutes to get from the 10/17 interchange to lockheed (extra time because the plant is a little off the highway)

anyone know how long it takes to get from old town to the interchange?

Old 08-25-2008, 01:40 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,161,525 times
36 miles is a LONG way in traffic. 45 mins will NOT happen...that would be with NO traffic whatsoever.

Old 08-25-2008, 02:39 PM

942 posts, read 2,519,053 times
I sometimes go from I-10 in Goodyear to 101/Scottsdale Rd., leaving my house at about 0915 and it usually takes me about an hour and fifteen minutes. I would NOT be interested in doing that commute for more than a few weeks/months. Going home in the afternoon usually takes a bit longer. I only doing it for the occasional shopping trip.

Old 08-25-2008, 03:58 PM

837 posts, read 2,333,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
36 miles is a LONG way in traffic. 45 mins will NOT happen...that would be with NO traffic whatsoever.
I agree. I was commuting between downtown and Litchfield park which was only a 20 minute cummute, and I gave up on the west, and moved downtown. That drive just stressed me out. Felt like I worked about 12 hours a day

Old 08-25-2008, 05:05 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,161,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by military spouse View Post
I sometimes go from I-10 in Goodyear to 101/Scottsdale Rd., leaving my house at about 0915 and it usually takes me about an hour and fifteen minutes. I would NOT be interested in doing that commute for more than a few weeks/months. Going home in the afternoon usually takes a bit longer. I only doing it for the occasional shopping trip.
This is a great example! I bet it's many minutes longer if you left earlier, huh?

Old 08-25-2008, 11:53 PM

219 posts, read 778,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob122480 View Post
thanks for the respone. i'm actually moving in with my girlfriend and she already has a place near old town. it's called the san marin apts. i think.

and yes the lockheed is right down by the airport.

So for a typical day would you say about 45 mins commute?

Beautiful apartment in a great location. Not too bad of a price either for the location. I'm still kicking myself for saving $170 a month and not living there. If you're looking for great nightlife in an active area, it might be worth it to suck up the commute. IMO, if you're 20s or 30s and looking for a plethora of restaurants and nightlife, that is among the best places in the valley. I used to commute 40 miles in New York and it took about 55 minutes, I would think a 36 mile commute here would be shorter, especially against traffic.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:24 PM

942 posts, read 2,519,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
This is a great example! I bet it's many minutes longer if you left earlier, huh?
I'm sure you are right! I guess for the OP, if this is a great career opportunity and maybe he has a 6 mo or 1 year lease and then would consider moving out this way, it might be worth commuting for that period of time. However, if he enjoys everything that Scottsdale has to offer and would never be interested in moving out here, it probably isn't worth even trying. If you want to get an idea of what Goodyear is and is becoming, take I10 and exit Bullard and travel north. Turn west on Indian School and then head south on Pebble Creek. That will take you to the majority of commercial buildings in the process of being built. I really like Goodyear, but Scottsdale is quite different and offers much more shopping and dining options, some of which are quite unique. Now that our house is accesorized, I don't go to Scottsdale very often. That stuff really isn't that important to me, but I realize that some people really enjoy it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area