Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2013, 09:26 AM

92 posts, read 183,434 times

Advertisements

I found couches I want to buy at Costco. Costco only delivers pieces that you order online. Of course, this particular couch is not available online

I have looked on Craigslist to find "movers" and got some really bad attitudes.

Does anyone have anyone they can recommend? I need someone to meet me at Costco, load the couches, (I want two) on their own truck (we have an SUV and they won't fit) or I could rent one) and then unload the truck and bring them into my house (first floor).

Any ideas?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 09:36 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
It's difficult. Best thing would be to rent the truck yourself (or a Uhaul or Home Depot van) and see if you can pay friends, neighbors, relatives to do it for you.

You might try calling Starving Students Movers, Inc. : Mesa Movers : Tempe Moving Company : Starving Students Movers, Inc.. Ask about if you supply the truck versus if they supply the truck. I've never personally used them, but I've heard they were okay for very small moves.

Another thought: call your local Upack and ask pretend you are intending to use them for a small move. Ask who they might refer you to for labor.

Or pick another couch from the Costco Online selection. I can assure you that their delivery service is very good.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:44 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
I 2nd the Home Depot approach. They charge around $29 for the rental plus mileage.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:45 AM

582 posts, read 1,481,534 times
Just rent a truck at U-Haul (probably a 14ft). Do you have a spouse or significant other? The couches are probably not very heavy, u just need 2 of you to load and unload them. Then take the truck back. You'll only have to pay for one day plus, the mileage and gas, which won't be much money.

Should be easy.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:50 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
You might try calling Starving Students Movers, Inc. : Mesa Movers : Tempe Moving Company : Starving Students Movers, Inc.. Ask about if you supply the truck versus if they supply the truck. I've never personally used them, but I've heard they were okay for very small moves.
Don't let the name fool you. They are movers just like any other mover. When I got a quote from them for my daughter, they were not any cheaper than any other mover and in fact, we found several other movers who were cheaper.

My advice to the OP would be to do a search on Yelp. I've had great success with Yelp. Companies with good customer service will be known. Go to yelp and type movers in their search. You can even search by your area. Don't look at any company with less than 4 stars and then call them and explain your situation. Companies with good service will usually try to accomodate you and work something out. In my opinion, it's worth more money to hire quality movers. I've had bad experiences with cheap movers. They don't show up. They treat your belongings poorly. They have bad attitudes and complain and want more money when they arrive on site. The peace of mind alone is worth the additional money in my experience.

I don't like Craigs List. You don't know what you are getting and a lot of shady incidents have occurred by people soliciting services on Craigs List.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:50 AM

344 posts, read 812,538 times
It's OK to be creative.

Home Depot can help in a couple of ways. Rent the van at Home Depot and ask some Costco staff to help you load. You probably won't even have to lift.

At the other end get someone at home or next door to help.

Left unmentioned is another useful Home Depot option-that in some locales there are workers available for hire in the morning in the parking lot. Quite helpful; a possible downside is that there is some risk in that if they're over at the home and receive a nice tour of the house and neighborhood, that can possibly be shared with ten of their friends. Case by case.

Craig's is entirely random, as can be expected within a large demographic. It's not realistic to color it in largely negative ways as some do. I've met some great people who helped me in first class ways then others who are quite the opposite. Worth trying, case by case. I don't know, in this case, that I'd want to entrust the belongings in the truck to a stranger.

Or ask a neighbor if you know one with a suitable truck. Most people don't realize that without asking, opportunities are missed. Or they know but can't "lower" themselves to ask. Yesterday morning, by chance, I saw a neighbor I've only waved to in the past. Stopped and asked about a truck and within a minute his key was in my hand! Unreal. It was a two hour job that involved heavy lifting that he ended up helping me with, that otherwise would've included considerable cost and effort to coordinate.

Last edited by sunluv; 07-10-2013 at 12:08 PM..

Old 07-10-2013, 12:11 PM

727 posts, read 1,532,920 times
OP-

I am curious to know about these bad attitudes you experienced on Craigslist. That was my plan for when I got there was to find some people on CL to help me unload my trailer and carry the stuff inside.

Can you still get day laborers outside of Home Depot?

Old 07-10-2013, 01:37 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzcrandall View Post
OP-

I am curious to know about these bad attitudes you experienced on Craigslist. That was my plan for when I got there was to find some people on CL to help me unload my trailer and carry the stuff inside.

No that practice has essentially been stopped. They were going to go so far as to punish people for soliciting services of day laborers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunluv View Post
Craig's is entirely random, as can be expected within a large demographic. It's not realistic to color it in largely negative ways as some do. I've met some great people who helped me in first class ways then others who are quite the opposite. Worth trying, case by case. I don't know, in this case, that I'd want to entrust the belongings in the truck to a stranger.
On Craig's List, you can't verify the credibility of the vendors or services. You are taking a chance. That's not being negative, that is stating a fact. For some people, they are fine with accepting this risk. For others like myself, I would rather not take a chance and use Yelp or Angies List. And yes, there are accounts of people being victims from Craig's List for this reason. Again, that is not being negative, that is just stating a fact. It's the risk/reward concept. People use Craig's list because they want a smoking good deal and are willing to risk an adverse event in doing so. For me, I can afford to pay a little more and would rather not take a chance with Craig's List.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:38 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,594,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzcrandall View Post
OP-

There is always a bunch of day laborers outside Home Depot on 43rd ave and camelback I noticed. Or put a CL ad out under gigs and offer like $50. Some kid with a truck will be all over it. Make sure they tie your couches down

Old 07-10-2013, 01:41 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,158,736 times
Renting a van from Home Depot is definitely cheaper than U-Haul. But U-haul has an interesting subsidiary that I've used and was very pleased with. eMove is a one stop website for moving help, truck rental, storage, etc. Just click on the icon for Moving Help, plug in some details, and you'll get an assortment of businesses that do the job. You can then research them on other websites, and make your decision.

I used them twice - once for just moving help/muscle, and another time for U-Haul truck rental, truck driving, and loading/unloading. Both times I was very pleased with the results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area