Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 12:33 AM

18 posts, read 21,541 times

Advertisements

I signed a lease for an apartment in Tempe. In my name. with no connections to my mom. Now trying to break that lease.

I need to move up north in Flagstaff to stop getting sick from heat strokes. There I need to get an apartment and it will be going in my mother's name. I haven't signed anything for the flagstaff apartment yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 12:35 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,175,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurenrae134 View Post
The apartment I signed for isn't in her name. She has no connections with that apartment in anyway.
If I get an apartment in flag that will go in her name that isn't signed for yet. So nothing is in her name yet.
Then you're back to square one. By the way, your Mom may not be a "control freak" given the way this situation is developing. You don't even have a cell phone in your own name, and your first legal contract as an adult is a mess. I feel bad for your parents. Best wishes to you.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:36 AM

2,338 posts, read 4,729,881 times
Quote:
I signed a lease for an apartment in Tempe. In my name. with no connections to my mom. Now trying to break that lease.

I need to move up north in Flagstaff to stop getting sick from heat strokes. There I need to get an apartment and it will be going in my mother's name. I haven't signed anything for the flagstaff apartment yet.
Well then your mom isn't liable. You are. Either take the proactive approach I suggested initial or use the tactics I deal with all the time with my job. If you consider setting up PO Box's in towns hundreds of miles away, make sure you cancel after 2-3 months and get a new one somewhere else/ Example. Call and keep a PO Box in Page,AZ from now until September. Cancel in September and get one in Safford for Oct thru Dec. Cancel that and get one in Kingman from Jan thru Mar. You get the idea.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
Then you're back to square one. By the way, your Mom may not be a "control freak" given the way this situation is developing. You don't even have a cell phone in your own name, and your first legal contract as an adult is a mess. I feel bad for your parents. Best wishes to you.
Well the fact that my phone bill is in her name and I pay for it should hint that she is. Did I mess up with this particular situation? Yes I did, but I was also deceived, given misleading information several times and posed with a medical issue that called for relocation. So to put your mind at ease I'll apologize to my parents for my biological disappointments.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
Well then your mom isn't liable. You are. Either take the proactive approach I suggested initial or use the tactics I deal with all the time with my job. If you consider setting up PO Box's in towns hundreds of miles away, make sure you cancel after 2-3 months and get a new one somewhere else/ Example. Call and keep a PO Box in Page,AZ from now until September. Cancel in September and get one in Safford for Oct thru Dec. Cancel that and get one in Kingman from Jan thru Mar. You get the idea.

So what happens with the mail that does get sent to those PO boxes?

Old 07-12-2013, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Well the fact that my phone bill is in her name and I pay for it should hint that she is. Did I mess up with this particular situation? Yes I did, but I was also deceived, given misleading information several times and posed with a medical issue that called for relocation. So to put your mind at ease I'll apologize to my parents for my biological disappointments.
Your medical issues unfortunately does not supersede a contract. It's a heartless world when it comes to financial obligations. Unfortunately you may cross more roads like this at some point. Lenders do not care when they are owed money.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:46 AM

Quote:
So what happens with the mail that does get sent to those PO boxes?
It throws off the landlord on your whereabouts making it hard to serve you. The mail will eventually get returned to sender if and when you cancel the PO Box payments at any given location.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:48 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,175,132 times
Quote:
Did I mess up with this particular situation? Yes I did, but I was also deceived, given misleading information several times and posed with a medical issue that called for relocation.
For future reference, talk is cheap. The lease rules. Read it and understand it before you sign. And if it isn't in writing, it never happened. Live and learn. This will probably be an expensive lesson.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
For future reference, talk is cheap. The lease rules. Read it and understand it before you sign. And if it isn't in writing, it never happened. Live and learn. This will probably be an expensive lesson.
I read the lease, very thoroughly, it was worded oddly, that is why I had the manager and the landlord repeat it to me. They either lied or change it. Then they denied me from seeing the room or giving me a copy of the lease after I signed.
I can't help the fact that I need to relocate for the sake of my health. I was fully dedicated to living there, it's not like I went around signing leases and am picking and choosing which ones not to abandon. Please stop with the ignorant assumption about me being some irresponsible teenager.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
It throws off the landlord on your whereabouts making it hard to serve you. The mail will eventually get returned to sender if and when you cancel the PO Box payments at any given location.
Wouldn't somebody receive that actually had that PO box? Or would it just sit there ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area