Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 11:11 PM

18 posts, read 21,512 times

Advertisements

I signed a 12 month lease back in April for the 922place. I was a little confused by the breaking lease part of it, and they explained that you had to pay 200$ OR find someone to take over the lease. I was so sure I would attend ASU again and signed it, thinking it was no big deal to pay the penalty if needed. Well I started getting sick, and went to the doctor and he said it was due to heat and I needed to move to a colder climate.
Now I'm going to attend NAU, enrolled and everything. I called a few weeks after signing the lease and they said whoever I signed the lease with was wrong and I had to pay 200$ and find a person to take the lease. Of course the girl who gave me the lease has been fired or resigned before she could be questioned for any of this. Move in is August 19th, but the first payment is due August 1st. I'm freaking out.
Now I refuse to move into the 922place, and I'm frantically trying to find someone to take over the lease.
Do I have a legal right not to pay the rent because I was misinformed? Can I just send a money order of the penalty and hope to God they find someone for me?
What will be the consequences if I don't pay the rent?

I really need help, I'm a college student with no credit history, no loans out, no debt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 11:26 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,165,868 times
Read your lease. If you signed it, you're bound by it. Any questions, contact a lawyer, not an internet forum. There are several low cost/no cost legal services available for low income people, including students - in Phoenix, as well as Flag. Best wishes to you.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:27 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,720,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurenrae134 View Post
I signed a 12 month lease back in April for the 922place. I was a little confused by the breaking lease part of it, and they explained that you had to pay 200$ OR find someone to take over the lease. I was so sure I would attend ASU again and signed it, thinking it was no big deal to pay the penalty if needed. Well I started getting sick, and went to the doctor and he said it was due to heat and I needed to move to a colder climate.
Now I'm going to attend NAU, enrolled and everything. I called a few weeks after signing the lease and they said whoever I signed the lease with was wrong and I had to pay 200$ and find a person to take the lease. Of course the girl who gave me the lease has been fired or resigned before she could be questioned for any of this. Move in is August 19th, but the first payment is due August 1st. I'm freaking out.
Now I refuse to move into the 922place, and I'm frantically trying to find someone to take over the lease.
Do I have a legal right not to pay the rent because I was misinformed? Can I just send a money order of the penalty and hope to God they find someone for me?
What will be the consequences if I don't pay the rent?

I really need help, I'm a college student with no credit history, no loans out, no debt.
A lease on a rental does not appear as a tradeline on your Credit Report like a secured or unsecured debt would. The kicker is this. The landlord has the right to obtain judgment against you for breach of contract. If you lose a default judgment and don't satisfy it within 30 days, it will be on your CBR as a public record just like a bankruptcy for 7 years. It will blackball your future ability to rent and obtain credit at that point.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:31 PM

I can't find legal advice that doesn't cost a fortune, I need names of organizations that can help me if possible.

I just can't seem to figure out how badly this will affect my future concerning my credit.
What happens if I pay the penalty and never find someone and just ignore the situation afterwards?
I've read in tenant's rights that the landlord must put effort in filling my room after 30 days notice and paying the fee

Old 07-11-2013, 11:37 PM

Quote:
I can't find legal advice that doesn't cost a fortune, I need names of organizations that can help me if possible.
Have you tried? Google is your friend. Here's one: AZ Law Help

Old 07-11-2013, 11:39 PM

Quote:

I just can't seem to figure out how badly this will affect my future concerning my credit.
What happens if I pay the penalty and never find someone and just ignore the situation afterwards?
I've read in tenant's rights that the landlord must put effort in filling my room after 30 days notice and paying the fee
I'm not an attorney so this is not legal advice. Try to keep communication open with the landlord. When people fall off the map, landlords and creditors can still easily file suit against the party. It's quite simple to track someone down with their SS # even if you go underground. I have access at my bank to sites that have deep skiptracing search capabilities. You sound quite young so you know how I would address you if you went "underground" ? I'd skiptrace your parents and contact them for location information on you for starters and take it from there. Don't stick your head in the sand because any lender/landlord can track you down if it is cost effective. If it's an amount owed in the hundreds, likely they won't put forth the effort. However, if it's many of thousands, they will track you down.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
Have you tried? Google is your friend. Here's one: AZ Law Help

Of course I've tried looking! I only found 2 places that I can afford, one had out of date contact info, and the other I'm waiting on a reply. Is there any service I could contact that would allow me to calculate how badly my credit would be affected if I don't have any open credit card accounts or loans out?

Old 07-11-2013, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
I'm not an attorney so this is not legal advice. Try to keep communication open with the landlord. When people fall off the map, landlords and creditors can still easily file suit against the party. It's quite simple to track someone down with their SS # even if you go underground. I have access at my bank to sites that have deep skiptracing search capabilities. You sound quite young so you know how I would address you if you went "underground" ? I'd skiptrace your parents and contact them for location information on you for starters and take it from there. Don't stick your head in the sand because any lender/landlord can track you down if it is cost effective. If it's an amount owed in the hundreds, likely they won't put forth the effort. However, if it's many of thousands, they will track you down.

I don't know what to do besides pay the penalty. I have no way of affording 2 rents. I've posted on just about every advertising site known to man to advertise this apartments. What would you do in my situation?

Old 07-11-2013, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Of course I've tried looking! I only found 2 places that I can afford, one had out of date contact info, and the other I'm waiting on a reply. Is there any service I could contact that would allow me to calculate how badly my credit would be affected if I don't have any open credit card accounts or loans out?
I suggest you fill out the form for free/low cost legal help on the page I provided. The link is on the right hand side of the page. Best wishes to you.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:50 PM

NOW: I can also tell you how you can "go into hiding" to make it as frustrating as possible. Notify associates and family about your situation and ask them not to divulge your whereabouts #1.
#2) Get a PO Box with someone elses name to get your mail at.
$3) Buy a prepaid cell at someplace like Walmart. I can trace people's cells who are under a contract but I still cannot verify those who buy it prepaid without the merchant asking for ID.
$4) DO NOT apply for any credit. Your whereabouts will then show up as an inquiry on your credit report making it easy for someone to locate you.
#5) On your prepaid cell, DO NOT put your voice on the voicemail. Keep the automated message so no one can verify whose phone it is. Also, do not activate your voicemail so no one can leave messages either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area