Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 10:30 PM

44,627 posts, read 61,603,272 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't store a gas can or any flammable item inside the garage if it has a gas water heater in it. The pilot light could ignite any fumes leaking out.

http://www.rhlawgroup.com/blog/gas-c...xplosion-risk/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 06:48 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
I wouldn't store a gas can or any flammable item inside the garage if it has a gas water heater in it. The pilot light could ignite any fumes leaking out.

Gas Containers Are Explosion Risk | Portable Gasoline Can Fire Lawyers
I was wondering if anyone would bring this up. Not worth the chance of one "ooops" like not getting the cap tight enough or cross threading or can failure. I keep 'em right next to the garbage cans outside next to the block fence.
They expand and contract just like they would in the garage but if they fail for some reason it's away from ignition sources.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:20 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Quote:

Great point, Nitram.

A GAS Water Heater just adds to the danger and unnecessary risk.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:29 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,384,797 times
And make sure you pick up some Sta-Bil to keep the gas stabilized. No sense waste your money if you just buy it and store it as is. I thought my mower was broken. It was just gas that had gone bad. Added new fuel and it worked just fine. So I put Sta-Bil in the gas cans when I fill them and it doesn't deteriorate as fast. True statement above about the winter and summer gas as well. IMHO the only "good" gas in Phoenix is from the big guys -- Chevron and Shell. Seems to be a lot of second grade gas in QT and other cheaper gas stations. I'd rather pay a little extra for one or two gallons, put Sta-Bil into the can and not have to trot down to replace it right when I'm motivated to finally get to the lawn or whatever.

I don't keep mine in the garage -- too close to my hot engine when I pull into the garage. That just makes me nervous. I keep it in the shed, which sits in the shade of a tree, has ventilation, and no electrical or flame source anywhere near it.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:55 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,263,729 times
Well, gas sits in my gas tank out in the hot driveway all day, even when it gets to 118 degrees, my car does not explode.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:05 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
Well, gas sits in my gas tank out in the hot driveway all day, even when it gets to 118 degrees, my car does not explode.
Your driveway is enclosed in a confined shelter and adjacent to a gas water heater?

Old 07-28-2013, 04:06 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
We don't get as hot as Phoenix, but we hit 100F and I keep full plastic gas "cans" with a "vent breather" on the cap towards the cooler part of the garage no problems. At least now you don't have to worry about storing flammables in the basement.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:20 PM

550 posts, read 1,126,453 times
Quote:

We had a gas water heater in the garage. Of course we did not store the gas can next to the water heater. That pilot light would have had to go a long way to be able to ignite "fumes" from the gas can.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:20 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,263,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Your driveway is enclosed in a confined shelter and adjacent to a gas water heater?
Nope, but I think the gas is enclosed inside the tank. The car itself reaches 180 degrees.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:49 PM

44,627 posts, read 61,603,272 times
[quote=MalteseJane;30704688]We had a gas water heater in the garage. Of course we did not store the gas can next to the water heater. That pilot light would have had to go a long way to be able to ignite "fumes" from the gas can.[/QUOTE]

LOL True, but the fumes do travel through the air and could reach the pilot light very easily. Is it worth the chance of destruction and possibly lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area