Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 03:55 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,732,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Learned something else new. Trane air handlers are now PLASTIC. The person who just left here told me he told his boss he won't sell them. Recommends Day & Night (which is Carrier) or Lennox.
Ooooooops, Observer . . . I forgot that scary point about Tranes learned while doing my research a few months ago.

Even though my previous Heat Pump, an Amana, had lasted 15 years and was still going strong, I went with Carrier primarily due to the "plastic" issue with Trane and other insignificant stuff.

Hopefully, KNOCK ON WOOD, I made the right choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 05:31 PM
AZM

95 posts, read 300,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Warning on Goodman: they have the most liberal sales policies of any brand, since anyone can buy one of their units at their supply houses. For this reason, Goodman is infamous for being the brand that hacks install. If you decide on Goodman, be sure you have it installed by a reputable contractor.

I personally prefer Carrier myself.
Do you have any contact information for Goodman? I might be in the market for a new package unit to install when the heat is over.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:43 PM
AZM

That part of your split system is having issues??? Is it the compressor condenser unit on the ground or the air handler in the attic? And what is the issue? For a unit that is in the ten year range it has lots of life left, they are made to be able to replace parts and still function for many more years. Also with a unit only that old you're not going to get much better (economical) of a system. The older units use R-22 Freon and the newer units use the 410 and not because it operates cooler, it doesn't. The 410 has to operate at a higher pressure and because of this the compressors do not last as long. If possible check about getting it repaired as like I said, it has many more good years of service.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:56 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,462,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZM View Post
That part of your split system is having issues??? Is it the compressor condenser unit on the ground or the air handler in the attic? And what is the issue? For a unit that is in the ten year range it has lots of life left, they are made to be able to replace parts and still function for many more years. Also with a unit only that old you're not going to get much better (economical) of a system. The older units use R-22 Freon and the newer units use the 410 and not because it operates cooler, it doesn't. The 410 has to operate at a higher pressure and because of this the compressors do not last as long. If possible check about getting it repaired as like I said, it has many more good years of service.

It's the unit on the ground. I did check about getting it repaired. Major leak inside the unit. Very expensive repair. I already know a couple of electrical parts will need replacing soon too. It's not in the 10 year range, it's 13 years old. Sorry, I don't think it has "many more good years of service".

I'm going from 10 seer to 13 seer, and replacing an air handler that's pushing 30 years old as it was not replaced when the ground unit was. As far as the new kind of freon, well, I'll just have to deal with that.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:58 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,462,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
So far (new Heat Pump last May) I'm very happy with Chas Roberts.

Chas Robert's Phoenix Air Conditioning Repair & Replacement

I contacted six plus HVAC companies and ChasRoberts was the most professional and punctual all the way from the initial sales call / estimate to the actual installation.

Sales Representative Tommy Helms lives in the Surprise area, however, I only have his 520 number.

Good Luck

Bummer-- It was Tommy who showed up at my house today, pinch hitting for someone else Nice guy. Gave me the best quote I've had so far, Carrier unit.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:04 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,732,811 times
Quote:
Bummer-- It was Tommy who showed up at my house today, pinch hitting for someone else Nice guy. Gave me the best quote I've had so far, Carrier unit.
Sounds like Good News, Observer . . . I know I was impressed.

The most professional and punctual . . . definitely an Arizona rarity.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:18 PM
AZM

Quote:
It's the unit on the ground. I did check about getting it repaired. Major leak inside the unit. Very expensive repair. I already know a couple of electrical parts will need replacing soon too. It's not in the 10 year range, it's 13 years old. Sorry, I don't think it has "many more good years of service".

I'm going from 10 seer to 13 seer, and replacing an air handler that's pushing 30 years old as it was not replaced when the ground unit was. As far as the new kind of freon, well, I'll just have to deal with that.
Okay I better understand your situation and agree with your course of action with an air handler that old on the second ground unit. Get it done all at one time and you will or should have many years of trouble free service from it. Please keep us updated on how it works out as it sounds like you're headed in the right direction.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:34 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,262,102 times
We finally found someone that we like, Sorensen. I don't know much about A/C units so I don't know what they would charge but we did have a good experience with them. We called them for a tune-up, ended up spending a ridiculous amount of money to get it "going right" (b'c it was installed improperly) but our A/C units have never worked better. Quite frankly, I don't know if they gouged us or not but all I can say is we've had half a dozen A/C companies come to our house and each and every one of them always said that our a/c can't catchup with the Phoenix heat and that's why the house is warm in the summers. Sorensen did their thing and our house has never been cooler. Our Freon kept leaking and had to be filled up every summer. Even though I know that's not normal, NO ONE could get it to work right and I never got a straight answer why it leaked. Sorensen found the problem and fixed it. I guess only time will tell if it was really done right (meaning I hopefully won't have to call them up to add Freon again) but like I said, our A/C has never run better in the 4 summers we've lived in this house. Good luck and hope you find someone u r happy with. I hate finding people to maintain the house. I never know if I can trust them or not!

Here is my Yelp link in case u r interested. Sorensen Heating and Cooling - Surprise, AZ

Old 08-17-2013, 11:03 PM

550 posts, read 1,128,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
We finally found someone that we like, Sorensen. I don't know much about A/C units so I don't know what they would charge but we did have a good experience with them. We called them for a tune-up, ended up spending a ridiculous amount of money to get it "going right" (b'c it was installed improperly) but our A/C units have never worked better. Quite frankly, I don't know if they gouged us or not but all I can say is we've had half a dozen A/C companies come to our house and each and every one of them always said that our a/c can't catchup with the Phoenix heat and that's why the house is warm in the summers. Sorensen did their thing and our house has never been cooler. Our Freon kept leaking and had to be filled up every summer. Even though I know that's not normal, NO ONE could get it to work right and I never got a straight answer why it leaked. Sorensen found the problem and fixed it. I guess only time will tell if it was really done right (meaning I hopefully won't have to call them up to add Freon again) but like I said, our A/C has never run better in the 4 summers we've lived in this house. Good luck and hope you find someone u r happy with. I hate finding people to maintain the house. I never know if I can trust them or not!

Here is my Yelp link in case u r interested. Sorensen Heating and Cooling - Surprise, AZ
That's my point. Saying that the Phoenix heat is the cause that the house is warm is NOT TRUE. Our house has always been cool even with 115°. If it's not cool, something is wrong with the A/C unit.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:24 AM

39,106 posts, read 51,313,080 times
Quote:
Learned something else new. Trane air handlers are now PLASTIC. The person who just left here told me he told his boss he won't sell them. Recommends Day & Night (which is Carrier) or Lennox.
Speaking of air handlers/evaporators, you would be wise to consider a unit that has an alumimum evaporator coil. Trane pretty much "pioneered" these and they are superior to copper though that may seem counter intuitive. Several makes have them now. The reason they are preferred is that the copper in new units is so thin that it easily develops pinholes in the evaporator coils and then leaks. The cause is gasses associated with homes and domestic activities that combine with water to make formic acid. The acid corrodes the copper, but aluminum is more resistant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area