Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 11:43 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times

Advertisements

I am predicting cooler and wetter than normal this winter. Any takers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 12:30 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
Climate Prediction Center - Seasonal Color Maps

Despite the government shutdown, you can still access the NOAA site and obtain the seasonal outlooks, including the long range outlooks for this upcoming winter (link above). According to the National Blather Service, it will be yet another warmer than normal winter, and possibly drier than normal. We're not currently in a La Niña pattern, but the predictions are for La Niña like conditions through the winter.

We definitely don't need less precipitation than normal, nor do we need any of those rare (but harsh) freezing spells like we had this last January. Aside from the January freeze, last winter was the most normal I've seen it in several years regarding both temperature and rainfall ... although it still ended up being slightly above normal in the temperature department and a little below normal in the total precipitation. I HOPE that Ponderosa's prediction will be correct regarding cooler & wetter than normal, but I have a gut feeling it won't be. Maybe the following winter ... we're due for another El Niño in another year or so.

Old 10-05-2013, 01:58 PM

1,533 posts, read 1,591,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I am predicting cooler and wetter than normal this winter. Any takers?
Sure hope you are right and wishing for the same thing!

Old 10-05-2013, 02:06 PM

267 posts, read 692,576 times
It'll be notably cooler than the summer.

Old 10-05-2013, 02:12 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times
I hope it isn't cold like it was last year, cool I'm ok with but the cold I can do without.

Old 10-05-2013, 02:37 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Climate Prediction Center - Seasonal Color Maps

Despite the government shutdown, you can still access the NOAA site and obtain the seasonal outlooks, including the long range outlooks for this upcoming winter (link above). According to the National Blather Service, it will be yet another warmer than normal winter, and possibly drier than normal. We're not currently in a La Niña pattern, but the predictions are for La Niña like conditions through the winter.

We definitely don't need less precipitation than normal, nor do we need any of those rare (but harsh) freezing spells like we had this last January. Aside from the January freeze, last winter was the most normal I've seen it in several years regarding both temperature and rainfall ... although it still ended up being slightly above normal in the temperature department and a little below normal in the total precipitation. I HOPE that Ponderosa's prediction will be correct regarding cooler & wetter than normal, but I have a gut feeling it won't be. Maybe the following winter ... we're due for another El Niño in another year or so.
Last winter was cooler than normal, with freezing overnight temperatures several times. However, it looks like 90 day outlook from October through December calls for warmer than average conditions:
weather.com - Map Room - Satellite Map, Weather Map, Doppler Radar US 90 Day Temperature

Old 10-05-2013, 09:16 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,131,637 times
Well, they forecasted a way above average hurricane season this year and it was the opposite. So I don't give too much weight to a long range Winter forecast for out region. My wild guess is that since we had some wicked cold snaps last Winter, that this one will be closer to normal. I think it will be drier than normal as well, only because we had a wet monsoon season.

What I WANT to happen is for it to be very wet and warm to help my plants recover, they are just now starting to make a comeback after the freezes and brutal heat we had way back in June. I hope the cold holds off so October can be an active growing month for my plants before the stronger fronts start moving in and really cooling things down big time.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:57 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,889,348 times
I predict that this winter people on warmer days will go on and on about global warming and on cold days other people will post tons of doubtful messages about global warming.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:19 PM

512 posts, read 947,587 times
Well this is no prediction but I am hoping it will be a warmer winter...don't laugh but this is the coldest place I have ever lived!! There's so many threads on how hot it gets here but where are the threads on how cold the winters are?? No, I'm no planning on moving..just saying lol

Old 10-09-2013, 12:28 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,982,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
I hope it isn't cold like it was last year, cool I'm ok with but the cold I can do without.
Hey we agree on something for a change

Last winter was our first in AZ and we get the coldest week in 35 years. The same week my family came to visit. I could do without that again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area