Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 03:41 PM

202 posts, read 408,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Eric618 - If you want to keep it looking like that you'll need to overseed in the winter with rye. Otherwise the Bermuda will go dormant and be brown all winter but take off growing again in late spring.
I apparently have some research to do on desert lawn care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 03:50 PM

683 posts, read 2,653,367 times
Bermuda grass will usually stay green until the first frost.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:17 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,751,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
No one type of grass. That's why people who want lush green grass year round plant two types. If that depresses you, I wonder whether you did enough research before making this move.
We just replaced the Common Bermuda in our back yard with Palmetto St. Augustine. My understanding is that it will remain somewhat green in the winter unless the temperatures get real low (like they did last year, presumably). From what I have read this particular type of grass does not tolerate overseeding well. We'll see what it looks like in February...

Old 10-19-2013, 01:13 PM

39,106 posts, read 51,313,080 times
Some early results from the mulch vs. no mulch experiment: Strong germination from the overseeded mulch area. It has a definite green cast to it and the seedlings are clearly evident on close inspection. No so good for the non-mulched area. Can't really make out the seedlings and while the grass is looking green again, it appears to be mostly bermuda that has revitalized after being close-cropped and deprived of water in getting ready to plant. I will give it a couple more days, but it looks for now like its going to be reseeding and mulch in those areas.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:30 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,238,953 times
My Bermuda is getting green again. I looked out this morning and thought the new stuff was coming in and went out and inspected and it's green Bermuda coming back. Hmmmm.....

Old 10-19-2013, 02:50 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,462,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
We just replaced the Common Bermuda in our back yard with Palmetto St. Augustine. My understanding is that it will remain somewhat green in the winter unless the temperatures get real low (like they did last year, presumably). From what I have read this particular type of grass does not tolerate overseeding well. We'll see what it looks like in February...
A broadleaf like St. Augustine doesn't work with overseeding, so that will be your year round grass. I'll be curious to see how it works out for you, do let us know!

Old 10-20-2013, 07:36 AM

9,805 posts, read 11,200,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Some early results from the mulch vs. no mulch experiment: Strong germination from the overseeded mulch area. It has a definite green cast to it and the seedlings are clearly evident on close inspection. No so good for the non-mulched area. Can't really make out the seedlings and while the grass is looking green again, it appears to be mostly bermuda that has revitalized after being close-cropped and deprived of water in getting ready to plant. I will give it a couple more days, but it looks for now like its going to be reseeding and mulch in those areas.
I have the sprinklers turned on for 10 minutes at a time, 6 times a day. Heck, try watering 8 times a day until it germinates. How often are you watering it? If mulch helps retain water, then I am assuming more water (and no mutch) is a mandatory combination.

Also, once germination starts, I am bettering that the early sprouts will sake the other later bloomers.

Old 10-20-2013, 09:44 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,664,859 times
My rye is finally coming in and man, what a nice color. I've never seen this stuff before and there's no mistaking it for Bermuda grass. It's bright green! It's still far thinner than I'd like and several patches have very little that has germinated but I guess it may have been worth the week of stink and flies.

Old 10-20-2013, 09:46 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,076,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
My rye is finally coming in and man, what a nice color. I've never seen this stuff before and there's no mistaking it for Bermuda grass. It's bright green! It's still far thinner than I'd like and several patches have very little that has germinated but I guess it may have been worth the week of stink and flies.

keep it watered and fill in the thin spots with more seed....if you're excited now, wait a few more weeks....the green in incredible

Old 10-21-2013, 02:37 PM

39,106 posts, read 51,313,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I have the sprinklers turned on for 10 minutes at a time, 6 times a day. Heck, try watering 8 times a day until it germinates. How often are you watering it? If mulch helps retain water, then I am assuming more water (and no mutch) is a mandatory combination.

Also, once germination starts, I am bettering that the early sprouts will sake the other later bloomers.
8x per day @ 3 minutes spaced for more in afternoon than morning with nothing at night. 6 seems like a lot as it just needs to stay moist, not floating, LOL. Mine is up and looking good! Even in the no mulch areas now. I had one sprinkler that was not getting the area up close to it very well and nothing came up there. I replaced it and reseeded that and will have to give it another few days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area