Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 08:17 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,794,481 times

Advertisements

kyle2k1, that's interesting, except using the covers on a license plate is illegal. The law states that the plate(s) must be clearly legible, in other words, capable of being read. Covers with the reflective tape, covers that have been mutilated, etc., prevent them from being read. As I said, I photographed the plates and used that as evidence in court. I never lost a case in any court, including one particular east side Maricopa Co. JP that had a known dislike of my agency. The defense of it being capable of being read from directly behind never held up. Every court I dealt with agreed that if the reflective substance obscured all or part of the letters/numbers to an extent that they could not be read from one lane over and one car length behind it violated the statute.

No, the covers are not illegal to own. But it is illegal to use them to obscure the license plate. Just like it's not illegal to own blue flashing lights, but it is illegal to put them on a vehicle unless it's an authorized emergency vehicle. It's also legal to own colorful lighted license plate frames whether they be bright neon or flashing multi-colored. But it's illegal to illuminate your plate with anything other than a white light. Simply because it's legal to sell, purchase and possess a vehicle accessory doesn't make them "street legal".

I never "confiscated" a cover. I gave violators a choice of surrendering it or receive a traffic ticket. It honestly didn't matter to me; I did not work on commission, I got paid by the hour whether I wrote a warning and the cover was surrendered or I wrote a ticket. As we used to say, "It all counts towards twenty"(years). The smart ones gave it up and I have no doubt some bought another and were still up at least $50.00. If someone wants to come back and say they were coerced, so be it. It wouldn't be the first time someone lied about what I said or did. That's why I tape recorded every stop many years before cameras were put in the cars.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:19 PM

10 posts, read 90,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj661 View Post
kyle2k1, that's interesting, except using the covers on a license plate is illegal. The law states that the plate(s) must be clearly legible, in other words, capable of being read. Covers with the reflective tape, covers that have been mutilated, etc., prevent them from being read. As I said, I photographed the plates and used that as evidence in court. I never lost a case in any court, including one particular east side Maricopa Co. JP that had a known dislike of my agency. The defense of it being capable of being read from directly behind never held up. Every court I dealt with agreed that if the reflective substance obscured all or part of the letters/numbers to an extent that they could not be read from one lane over and one car length behind it violated the statute.

No, the covers are not illegal to own. But it is illegal to use them to obscure the license plate. Just like it's not illegal to own blue flashing lights, but it is illegal to put them on a vehicle unless it's an authorized emergency vehicle. It's also legal to own colorful lighted license plate frames whether they be bright neon or flashing multi-colored. But it's illegal to illuminate your plate with anything other than a white light. Simply because it's legal to sell, purchase and possess a vehicle accessory doesn't make them "street legal".

I never "confiscated" a cover. I gave violators a choice of surrendering it or receive a traffic ticket. It honestly didn't matter to me; I did not work on commission, I got paid by the hour whether I wrote a warning and the cover was surrendered or I wrote a ticket. As we used to say, "It all counts towards twenty"(years). The smart ones gave it up and I have no doubt some bought another and were still up at least $50.00. If someone wants to come back and say they were coerced, so be it. It wouldn't be the first time someone lied about what I said or did. That's why I tape recorded every stop many years before cameras were put in the cars.
Ok, like I said, Im not here to argue, because I am basing things off what I read and am not a lawyer....again, since the law is vague, it is left to interpretation of the court. I can't seem to find the article again but I will keep looking....

Old 03-08-2008, 12:30 AM

6 posts, read 29,103 times
Default out-of-state

what if you were just visiting phoenix from out of state, out of state license, rental car only.

thanks.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinosummer View Post
what if you were just visiting phoenix from out of state, out of state license, rental car only.

thanks.
I'm not sure, but you might want to ask the rental car company what their policy is regarding divulging the name(s) of authorized drivers listed on a contract. I never had anything to do with photo radar. I can tell you that most major companies are very helpful in providing information to law enforcement for certain types of investigations. I never had one refuse when I contacted them. I can tell you this: Don't let anyone drive the car unless they are on the contract. At least some companies will request the police to impound cars operated by unauthorized drivers.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle2k1 View Post
Ok, like I said, Im not here to argue, because I am basing things off what I read and am not a lawyer....again, since the law is vague, it is left to interpretation of the court. I can't seem to find the article again but I will keep looking....
I disagree that the law is vague, but I'd be interested in reading the article if you can locate it.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:58 PM

1,170 posts, read 3,439,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uponthestair View Post
There have been a couple of references to beating a photo radar ticket by ignoring it. Well, that's not exactly how it works, but it does work. Rather than go into detail I'm posting links to websites that tell the whole story. There might be some duplication from site to site.

Arizona State Appeals Court Photo Radar Decision

Phoenix - News - How To Beat a Photo-Enforcement Ticket

http://www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov...5/m2001223.pdf

Photo Radar - Red Light Camera

Scottsdale | Scottsdale Sucks: Only idiots pay photo radar tickets

Your photo radar defense - Page 4 - RadarBusters.com

LOL...good ones!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area