Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 11:32 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,703,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
No, it is based on its depreciated value. On a 2003, it will not be a lot.
the depreciation doesnt start until the car comes to arizona, and the "value" is based on whatever is printed on the title, not what you actually paid. so you will get nailed with high reg fees when bringing an out of state car here, even if its old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 12:25 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,235,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
This conversation is nuts!

Let me ask you guys this...for anyone who moved here from our of state and brought a car with them...did you have to pat sales tax on it when you got here? Of course not, so why would the OP have to?
It's actually not nuts as many states will charge you sales tax on a vehicle you're registering in that state if you can't show sales tax was paid on it previously. I have searched online and can't find anything specific to Arizona though.

I purchased a vehicle in Oregon and registered it there and when I moved to Idaho I had to pay sales tax on it before I could register since Oregon had no sales tax. I believe there was a time limit on it though, if it had been over a certain number of years I wouldn't have had to.

Last edited by LBTRS; 01-05-2014 at 12:34 PM..

Old 01-05-2014, 02:44 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,602,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
It's actually not nuts as many states will charge you sales tax on a vehicle you're registering in that state if you can't show sales tax was paid on it previously. I have searched online and can't find anything specific to Arizona though.

I purchased a vehicle in Oregon and registered it there and when I moved to Idaho I had to pay sales tax on it before I could register since Oregon had no sales tax. I believe there was a time limit on it though, if it had been over a certain number of years I wouldn't have had to.
This was what my question was all about. I've seen this done in another state, Florida, if I remember correctly and have heard it's done elsewhere.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:46 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,602,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
In your case, you're moving here with your car. You'll pay NO sales tax which is what this thread is about. You will, however pay to register your car but what they charge for registration is based on what the car is worth NOW. What you paid for it years ago is irrelevant.
As an example, I have older cars. I brought an old Chrysler Concord from Oregon. It's a 1995 and the cost for registrations, title, plate and tags was something like $32.00 for TWO years. You need to remember that you'll have to get your car smog certified as well and that's $27.00.
Something I thought was interesting was in the way Arizona issues your drivers license. Basically if you have a valid license from another state, they punch your old license, then ask you if you want your old license for sentimental reasons, and then they just hand you an Arizona license. At least in my case they did and it was the same for a friend of mine that moved from Oregon and the same for my daughter. Another interesting thing about the licenses in Arizona is that they are issued until age 65. My daughter is 20 and her drivers license is valid until the year 2058.
They can have my old driver's license, but I would like to keep my plates, especially since one of them is a personalized plate. But not to worry...I'll just park on the street and I'm sure someone will steal them from me.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:58 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,239,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
the depreciation doesnt start until the car comes to arizona, and the "value" is based on whatever is printed on the title, not what you actually paid. so you will get nailed with high reg fees when bringing an out of state car here, even if its old.

Not true at all ..... kind of a side topic, but the formula for registration had been posted here numerous times ..... the depreciation its from the original book value of the vehicle .... it has noting to do with how much you paid for the vehicle our how long it's been in the state

it's really straight forward and standardized .... just not cheap

it is a tax you can claim on your return for the actual tax portion of the registration

as for the vehicle new purchase, you are an Alaskan resident buying a car in Alaska ..... you wouldn't have to pay tax to AZ anymore than you would NY

Old 01-05-2014, 03:00 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,239,344 times
you can keep your old plates

Old 01-05-2014, 03:14 PM

134 posts, read 348,449 times
I haven't read all the responses but I will add my two cents.

I just registered my car here in AZ. I bought it in Alberta and drove it down to AZ. It was insured and registered in Alberta. Registration was an easy process. I paid no tax, just the fees to register and had to have an emissions test because it is a 1999. Since my car is older, registration was only like $45 for one year.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:49 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,950,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
On the upside, we have cheaper gas, cheaper electricity and plenty of sunshine.
We have excellent roads here with no toll charges anywhere in the state

Old 01-05-2014, 06:34 PM

39,096 posts, read 51,295,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
That is not correct.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:15 PM

134 posts, read 348,449 times
Yes Zippy, that is NOT correct. My car is old (1999) and the original purchase price was printed on my new AZ title, yet I only paid $45 for my registration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area