Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 12:07 PM

872 posts, read 1,001,335 times

Advertisements

The Best and Worst Run Cities in America - 24/7 Wall St.

Scottsdale made it at #6
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 04:42 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,664,859 times
Glad to see something contrary to the notion that people live in Scottsdale and pay a premium "for the address".

Old 01-10-2014, 11:51 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,459,534 times
City government in Scottsdale has had its ups and downs over the years (like other places). But, I don't think many people move to Scottsdale for the primary conscious reason that a magazine or website rates it a "well run city". They move there because there's a lot of nice things about it, they've read about it in the media and want to be in that type of environment, and any number of other reasons, including the perceived prestige of the address.

Some of the criteria this site used actually has little to do with how the city is "run", but with things like the income level of residents and their education level, and the unemployment rate. Scottsdale would score high there, for sure, which helped their rating a lot. Crime statistics, and the city's bond rating, also factored in, and have more to do with city government.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:38 AM

213 posts, read 377,265 times
When I moved to Scottsdale, I didn't even know anything about the "prestige" of living here. We actually looked all over the Phoenix area for a place to live.

I chose Scottsdale because it is beautiful and clean, not because of a zip code.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:56 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,459,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykatlady View Post
When I moved to Scottsdale, I didn't even know anything about the "prestige" of living here. We actually looked all over the Phoenix area for a place to live.

I chose Scottsdale because it is beautiful and clean, not because of a zip code.
You're right, it has lots of qualities to draw those who know the prestige and those who don't.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:34 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,286,436 times
I prefer Scottsdale of all Valley cities ... but the problem is that it has a very unfair reputation of being snobbish, and everybody being fake millionaires. Scottsdale covers such a large area and has a pretty sizeable population, so it's certainly not all snobbish or high end. In fact, the south side is more working class than anything else. Scottsdale also has some of the best eating establishments, shopping, and nightlife. Maybe that contributes to its reputation of being snooty, but I see it as a way of drawing in a more desirable crowd ... that does not equate to being snobbish, elitist, etc.

It's kind of funny how California has some of the best run AND worst run cities on the list. Irvine is the best run, and San Bernardino is the worst run. What's really ironic is both places are basically in the same metro area (Los Angeles). Seems like the areas that depend on real estate a little too much for their economic base have been placed among the worst run ... something to think about!

Old 01-11-2014, 05:55 PM

872 posts, read 1,001,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I prefer Scottsdale of all Valley cities ... but the problem is that it has a very unfair reputation of being snobbish, and everybody being fake millionaires. Scottsdale covers such a large area and has a pretty sizeable population, so it's certainly not all snobbish or high end. In fact, the south side is more working class than anything else. Scottsdale also has some of the best eating establishments, shopping, and nightlife. Maybe that contributes to its reputation of being snooty, but I see it as a way of drawing in a more desirable crowd ... that does not equate to being snobbish, elitist, etc.

Exactly!!! Scottsdale is the 6th largest city in AZ by population, plus it is also very long. Driving from S Sdale to the north is about 30 miles!! So everyone cannot be snobby-not to mention people move here from everywhere and even from different economic statuses-it's not all the already rich moving here. Plus it is also very long. Driving from S Sdale to the north is about 30 miles!! I have not really experienced the snobbishness be honest. I think it may be in some areas people have been to so they assume the whole city is like that. As you said, Scottsdale, like Phoenix and other Valley cities, has many neighborhoods where your experience may vary drastically. I am in an apartment complex along with a bunch of other complexes up near Raintree and 101 and it's mostly middle to upper middle class people of all ages. Then if you go up north a little you reach McDowell Mountain Ranch and Grayhawk areas which are very nice developments with more upper class people and high price real estate.

I guess it really depends on your upbringing as well. I wasn't born here but come from a town that is middle-upper middle class but, it really is no where near Scottsdale or Paradise Valley. Scottsdale is definitely a great place to live and I will be honest, living here has made me not want to leave. I love the Valley and I have lived in Tempe and Central and Downtown Phoenix but this is my favorite place to live. I love visiting and going to those other places but for a HOME, I choose Scottsdale.

I think Scottsdale has some really great laws/ordinances like not having political signs everywhere or billboards everywhere. Also the rules about having so many vehicles in your front yard avoids people from packing trailers and crap like I see in Phoenix and Mesa. The paintings on the 101 are very awesome too

Last edited by Jnvlv247; 01-11-2014 at 06:05 PM..

Old 01-11-2014, 08:01 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,286,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnvlv247 View Post
I guess it really depends on your upbringing as well. I wasn't born here but come from a town that is middle-upper middle class but, it really is no where near Scottsdale or Paradise Valley. Scottsdale is definitely a great place to live and I will be honest, living here has made me not want to leave. I love the Valley and I have lived in Tempe and Central and Downtown Phoenix but this is my favorite place to live. I love visiting and going to those other places but for a HOME, I choose Scottsdale.
I agree. Scottsdale would be my other choice to live if I ever decide to move. I like where I am in the Camelback East area, which actually is similar to Scottsdale in some ways in that it's close to some upscale dining. Also, it's not that far from downtown/Old Town Scottsdale where some of the best nightlife in the Valley takes place. I don't really go out that much to clubs or bars, but I really like the selection of great restaurants Scottsdale has to offer.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:05 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,507,229 times
I'm not trying to rain on the parade but what does having a large percentage of wealthy residents have anything to do with how well a city is run or managed?

The nightife, expensive restaurants, and plastic millionaires are what make Scottsdale famous but that can't really be credited to a well-managed city.

In fact I read very little in that article that would put Scottsdale on the list except low crime, low poverty, low unemployment, and perhaps the credit rating.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:21 AM

555 posts, read 863,522 times
yes, scottsdale is full of plastic millionaires, snobs, and overall douchebags. : sigh :
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area