Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 11:00 PM

432 posts, read 491,686 times

Advertisements

...or should I just buy a PS4 and save on gas?

I mean, I'm a single, 30-something guy and I bounce around a few places, but is there anything between the guys with Of Mice And Men tee shirts and the guys in Harley Davidson tee shirts. Guys who think doge memes are funny, or guys who don't get doge memes.

See, my brother lives in the LoHi area of Denver, gentrification and all that, and you can actually leave the house and find actual adults who don't also happen to be getting annual prostate exams. Sigh. I've lived here for years, left for five, been back for going on two. Still bores the snot out of me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 11:11 PM

428 posts, read 5,884,724 times
buy a PS4 and Vita

Old 01-11-2014, 11:12 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
then move ............

there is nearly 5 million people spanning over 15,000 square miles ......... if you can't find something to do then it's a you problem

Old 01-11-2014, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
then move ............

there is nearly 5 million people spanning over 15,000 square miles ......... if you can't find something to do then it's a you problem
Thanks for the insight. Nevermind me looking for suggestions from locals (i.e. not the Finger Lakes) on an internet forum or anything. Give me a real suggestion or kindly take a hike.

And, no, I'm not moving. I've got a career grade job here, high potential for the future. I'm just trying to survive socially in PHX.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:56 PM

Any suggestions are pointless until you change your own attitude .... I've lived many places and there is zero reason to be bored here

I've been in Phoenix for over a decade, am in my mid-30s as well

Maybe if you want real feedback actually ask a real question

Posting a rant about what you don't like, how bored you are and that there aren't any actual adults in a city this large isn't going to accomplish anything more productive than any of the other countless threads that have a similar start here on CD

If you really are looking for direction simply give some information - what are you looking for, where are you, interests, etc

However, given your posts on this thread i'm going to stand by my initial quick read that the problem stares you in the mirror

Old 01-12-2014, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Any suggestions are pointless until you change your own attitude .... I've lived many places and there is zero reason to be bored here

I've been in Phoenix for over a decade, am in my mid-30s as well

Maybe if you want real feedback actually ask a real question

Posting a rant about what you don't like, how bored you are and that there aren't any actual adults in a city this large isn't going to accomplish anything more productive than any of the other countless threads that have a similar start here on CD

If you really are looking for direction simply give some information - what are you looking for, where are you, interests, etc

However, given your posts on this thread i'm going to stand by my initial quick read that the problem stares you in the mirror

Oh no, it's my attitude that made the bar I was at a bunch of Parrotheads, and the coffee shop I was at a bunch of scenesters... not that I don't know of any better places. The magic power of thought and attitude. I should have known! Thanks there, Dr. Phil. You want your $150 for the session?

My attitude is 9/10ths humor. If it isn't your brand of humor, don't watch Doug Stanhope, Louis CK, Jim Jefferies, etc. and, also, don't EVER venture onto the internet. It's sardonic central up in these Mbit/s. Go back to re-reading The Secret, and let someone who knows the area give me a suggestion.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:13 AM

You know a fun thing I did in Phoenix?

Watch Louis CK at the Improv

Again - if you want people to give you advice - ask a question

Your "humor" just isn't funny ....... there are workshops and such you could go to out here for that, but I'm sure being around people who are actually funny will only make you feel worse

You posted a rant - just be honest about it

Not once did you ever ask about anything to actually do .......... just a worthless vent

A cool thing is that someone like me, who apparently doesn't know the area, always finds tons of things that interest me ......... yet, a funny, outgoing guy like you has the best option of shutting themselves into their homes with a video game console

Have fun with that

Old 01-12-2014, 03:13 AM

Quote:
You know a fun thing I did in Phoenix?

Watch Louis CK at the Improv

Again - if you want people to give you advice - ask a question

Your "humor" just isn't funny ....... there are workshops and such you could go to out here for that, but I'm sure being around people who are actually funny will only make you feel worse

You posted a rant - just be honest about it

Not once did you ever ask about anything to actually do .......... just a worthless vent

A cool thing is that someone like me, who apparently doesn't know the area, always finds tons of things that interest me ......... yet, a funny, outgoing guy like you has the best option of shutting themselves into their homes with a video game console

Have fun with that
I often wonder if it's actually possible to post an inquiry on any forum on the vast expanse of this chaotic, labyrinthine colon known as the internet without getting one single d-bag to come along, read something into the OP's post that wasn't really there, and drive-by comment it into a cascading debate that said d-bag pretends not to want to be in in the first place. Just don't post on guys' like me. Walk on by. Take the high road. I know it's tough for those with 7,000+ posts not to waste even more time winning at forums, but just try for a second to think something like, "I think this guy is immaturely ranting and I want nothing to do with it. I'll do something constructive elsewhere as opposed to making a non-contributing comment in a place where I don't want to be, just to get my post count up and express my dissatisfaction with those who communicate through "rants". I don't have to participate." Jesus would be proud.

For those of you who aren't Laker Fingerer. I'll break the humor down (apologies if it's not your style). I don't REALLY want to buy a gaming system to replace my social life, and become a recluse. It's called sarcasm. It really wasn't a rant... other than a light one for the context of joke. I AM looking for some places that fall betwixt the kid-crowd and the those-with-kids-crowd. Something like I said, like LoHi / Highlands, Denver... or Manhattan if you don't know what I'm getting at. Not golddigger/Jersey-Shore pretend millionaire Scottadale-type joints (there's no bromos in LoHi)... more educated, upwardly mobile but down-to-earth types. I'm just looking for haunts, not to engage my hobbies.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:04 AM

94 posts, read 324,653 times
Variant - I think I know what you're saying... I don't want to put words in your mouth or make assumptions, but maybe what you're trying to say, without actually coming out and saying it, is that you don't have friends and you would maybe like a couple. That can sometimes be embarrasing to admit, so there: I said it for you. I know where you're at... I grew up on Phx, in my very early 20's moved to Seattle for about a year with my fiancé, and when I broke that off I moved back to Phx and realized that I didn't have anyone around me who I felt connected with me as a friend (many of my friends moved, went into the military, fast-tracked the family life, etc...). I felt lonely in my own hometown, which was really weird, right? I was back for about 9 months before my best friend got back from the army, I hung out with him and he introduced me to a whole group of people he met while I was in Seattle. The key you might be looking for is this: it only takes one person to open a door to a whole group of people. Find someone at work that you click with and see what they have going on socially, or as typical as this might sound, join a group like Meet up, and find someone who you have a good time with. People say all the time "Just go out there and meet people! There are millions of them out there!" But how weird would it be to go to a bar by yourself, sit down next to someone and say "Hey. I'm Variant. Do you want to be my buddy?" Answer: Pretty [snip] uncomfortable. Good luck to you Sweets!

Last edited by observer53; 01-12-2014 at 07:28 AM..

Old 01-12-2014, 07:40 AM

784 posts, read 923,064 times
My son who is 24 came out 2 years ago from Illinois to finish his schooling has found all kinds of things to fill in the time.

1. He loves hiking around on all the mountain trails with his yellow lab Molly.
2. He has season tickets to the Suns games....nice that they are playing better, priceless that he gets a chance to yell at Labron...usually to say "you're no Michael Jordan"...lol
3. An occasional game to watch the Cardinals.
4. Weekly plays basketball at a local park with guys from work.
5. 2 trips to vegas a year with pops, who bankrolls him-quick flights on Allegiant are nice.

He is enjoying the Phoenix area, especially this time of year....last week when he flew back after Christmas break it was -17 actual air temp the day he left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area